Tell me what you did on the doors?

by ballistic 38 Replies latest jw friends

• ballistic
    ballistic

Me and my pioneer partner used to play a game while going door to door (we were obviously bored). In our rural territory, we had a lot of time between doors to make things up, so various games evolved. Just about the naughtiest was to give your partner a word which they had to use at all costs in their presentation.

This started out as 'kingdom' and 'Jesus' but soon became 'Tractor', 'Dog' and then even 'Honda 250' and so on. Invariably I would burst out laughing when my co-worker said the designated word depending on how ridiculous it was.

Oh this really brings a smile to my face remembering this - so that's a reply to all those that say we never have anything good to say about our time in the org.

Anyone care to tell us what you did on the doors or what your presentation was?

• joelbear
    joelbear

that was a great door to door story.

We didn't do anything so specific, but were constantly trying to crack each other up at the door.
    I was giggly to begin with.

My standard presentation while pioneering was Rev. 21: 3 and 4 and straight to the Truth Book. No matter what the offer was, I offered the Truth book, because I wanted Bible studies. One one point I had 7 Bible studies, 2 of whom went on to be baptized.

I made up songs between doors sometimes and I also did talking bookbag tricks that cracked people up at the meetings.

• bigfloppydog
    bigfloppydog

I shoke like a leaf, I hated going door to door, I was way to shy, and tried to hide behind everyone else.

• joeshmoe
    joeshmoe

My old pioneer partner and I would each 'talk' until we gave a good presentation (not just a wimpy "we'll try you at a better time and by the way, here's a tract"). So of course, after each door where one of us talked with someone, an argument on the way back down the driveway would ensue as to whether or not enough of a presentation was given to make the door "count". We got into some pretty heated ones!!

And you better believe that we each felt like we'd earned that break when we it wasn't our turn. We would stand back there behind the other and wouldn't speak up for anything! Having trouble remembering a scripture? Ha Ha. This householder is insane? Ha Ha! This lady knows the bible better than you and is shredding you? HA HA!!

I remember thinking to myself that I'd love to help out, but dammit, I'm on my break over here!

-Joe

• Scarlet
    Scarlet

I was so shy I hated talking at the doors. I usually would work with my mom or a outgoing friend of mine that I knew would take most of the doors. I found it really hard to even get a word out when people would come to the door and I would stumble all over myself. I ended up just being embarassed.

• Vivamus
    Vivamus
    I remember thinking to myself that I'd love to help out, but dammit, I'm on my break over here!

LOL, Joe, that is just too funny!

I personally hated going door to door. I went regular with my best friend, we would go for an hour fieldservice and then hit the mall for shopping, or a restaurant, drink tea, whatever. Then some five hours later we would go home were people were baffled at us, haha. I miss her.

Viv.

• Reborn2002
    Reborn2002

I always tried to fake it when ringing the doorbell. (You know motion like you rang the doorbell, but you did not push it?)

If the household had no doorbell, I would knock as QUIETLY as possible.

If for any reason I got placed to go in field service with any buddies of mine in the same age bracket, we would not knock at all. (We would wait for the older ones to pass us house-over-house, then ACT like we knocked)

Would SAY that I was going on return-visits, then go to the local mall or movie and log 2 hours time.

What a wonderful way to avoid drama and embarassment. Now I thank myself that by doing that I did not convert anybody!

My Signature:

My DBZ Anime:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/forum/thread.asp?id=34152&site=3

My StarWars Artwork:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/forum/thread.asp?id=34153&site=3

• ballistic
    ballistic

I heard a lot of people didn't actually ring the bells; makes me wonder who did that in my days!!! damn.

p.s. I haven't got the faintest idea how this ended up under the dating header???!!!

• home_and_dry
    home_and_dry

I used to play the word game all the time! We did exactly the same, start of with the obvious words then head steadily into the obscure...

One FS memory always brings a smile to my face. I was about 16 at the time and always used to try and work with my best friend who was the same age. We both hated FS but used to have a laugh to get through the time. We would always argue about whose turn it was to do the door.

Anyway, this one day I had officially gone on strike and pretty much refused any door where there seemed to be signs of life. I ever so quietly knocked on one door and to my surprise I heard some movement inside and realised someone was coming to the door. So I quickly shoved my WT and Awake into the hands of my friend. She wasn't having any of it so she she tried to shove them back to me. I stepped back and the mags landed on the floor. Next thing, this old lady appeared at the door and both my friend and I stood in total silence, each refusing to speak, with the two crumpled mags at our feet.

We all just stood there for what seemed like ages until the old lady asked what we wanted. More silence. Then eventually my friend said "er, sorry! I think we've got the wrong house, bye!" and we walked off leaving the mags still on the floor.

God knows what that woman must have thought!!

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

I used to hope for somebody who hatedservice as much as me and then we would ask to go to rural territory and then go to an out of the way coffee shop all morning.

LOL

Ash

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit