J. R. Brown interview sneak peek

by mikepence 28 Replies latest jw friends

• mikepence
    mikepence

See http://blogs.salon.com/0001138/ for a sneak preview.

This is an update to this thread: http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/forum/thread.asp?id=33892&site=3

Thanks,
    Mike Pence

• Nikita
    Nikita

Mike, looks like it is gonna be a very interesting and revealing article! Can't wait to read more!

Hi to the Mrs. from me!

Leslie, aka "Nikita"

• William Penwell
    William Penwell

One subject we discussed was the Witnesses history, in agreement with an OT rule, of requiring a woman to scream during a rape, or she may be considered guilty of immorality.

Really.

Here is part of Brown's response:

"We feel that is a reasonable position to take."

"If this [screaming] has been done, then we are not going to view that, obviously, as some immorality."

So, Brown defended the policy. There was much more.

Yeah what a spineless piece of garabage that JR Brown is.

Will

Edited by - William Penwell on 7 August 2002 16:29:53

• mikepence
    mikepence

Hey...click here anyway: http://blogs.salon.com/0001138/

Don't foil my plans to up my hit count!

• writerpen
    writerpen

Maybe I'm missing something here, but is this interview going to be published somewhere or available for us to hear over the computer?

One subject we discussed was the Witnesses history, in agreement with an OT rule, of requiring a woman to scream during a rape, or she may be considered guilty of immorality.
    Here is part of Brown's response:
    "We feel that is a reasonable position to take."
    "If this [screaming] has been done, then we are not going to view that, obviously, as some immorality."
    So, Brown defended the policy. There was much more.
    I'm not trying to be a bitch or anything, but this is way too limited of a conversation for me to believe that he stated that women who do not scream are guilty of immorality. Maybe I'm being crazy, but does the WTS still hold on to this belief? Anyone have the latest printed material on this topic? I would be most interested in hearing the entire inverview with Brown and reading what was printed on this topic before believing that this is their stand on this issue. And, if in fact this is their stand on this issue, well, "bitch" won't even begin to describe how I will act.
  • mikepence
    mikepence

Brown defended the policy, but stated that in some "exceptional circumstances" the elders may take into account the fact that a woman may have been paralyzed by fear.

He also stressed that their policies hold "even in a life-threatening" situation.

Hope this helps.

Mike

• William Penwell
    William Penwell

writerpen,

Anyone have the latest printed material on this topic?

Is this another one of the WT on again, off again policy changes??? Your guess is as good as anyone else's. Hey I know lets flip a coin on this. My guess is it would very from congregation to congregation.

• mikepence
    mikepence

He actually said, in regard to the rape policy:

"We've had a fairly consistent policy."

I almost choked on my coffee. Can anyone point me to a list of times this doctrine has changed?

Thanks,
    Mike

Edited by - mikepence on 7 August 2002 16:40:35

• writerpen
    writerpen

It really chaps my ass because NEVER should a woman be asked about her intentions after being raped. So I guess if a JW woman is raped, that is cause for the elders to visit her. If they came to visit me after being raped to ask some questions, I would tell them to stick it up their asses. I never thought about this before, but do the elders interrogate a "sister" that has been raped?

• mikepence
    mikepence

Absolutely. It happened to someone very close to me.

Edited by - mikepence on 7 August 2002 16:44:25

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit