David Splane: The Catholic Church brought the Gospel into China!

by FusionTheism 35 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent
    FusionTheism: It definitely looks like "New Light" for the Governing Body to say that the Catholic Church was preaching the Gospel message and was obeying Jesus' Great Commission.

Before commenting, i should make this explanation. I started to study with the witnesses in the early 1950's. And I think the best description of the youthful me, is the word 'nerd.'

A Wikipedia entry describes a nerd as: " Nerd (adjective: nerdy) is a descriptive term, often used pejoratively, indicating that a person is overly intellectual, obsessive, or lacking social skills. They may spend inordinate amounts of time on unpopular, obscure, or non-mainstream activities, which are generally either highly technical or relating to topics of fiction or fantasy, to the exclusion of more mainstream activities." ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nerd

So everyone can picture me, (then), typically spending my saturday nights, reading books in the NSW Public Library. My behaviour altered only slightly when I became a witness - I learned to 'work' a room and speak to people, but still read a lot to understand how things (people) worked.

One thing I did try very hard to understand was how the JW version of Yahweh regarded people who believed in Jesus? the Bible etc, during the centuries before Yahweh made his controversial decision to appoint Joe Rutherford's re-organised Bible bashers, as his "F&DS" with responsibility to care for his (Yahweh's) interests on earth. Around me then were many long-time witnesses, like Wallace Baxter (treasurer of the WTS/IBSA at the Sydney bethel), who had become a witness around 1918/1919 and many others. (And had been branch overseer in the Lithuanian branch when WW2 broke out.)

And when I dispute that Splane's comment is 'new light' it is because my understanding from all those old time witnesses, was that prior to 1918/1919 was that any person who loved the, 'Yahweh/Jesus combo god' and tried to serve them with a whole heart, was acceptable to Yahweh/Jesus. So among all the millions of humans - Catholics, Orthodox, Protestants etc, there were many who must have been approved by Yahweh/Jesus.

Usually in the past, the witnesses I knew avoided giving these 'faithful' people a denominational label. And indeed, in the 1930s, Judge Joey specifically attacked the Catholic church, in response to attempts by the church to prevent the house-to-house work of the witnesses.

So while Splane got his history all arse-up, I think his comments are not 'new light' just a slight adjustment to 'old light' (grin).
    Now I know that logically, that concept does some terrible things to the idea of a 144,000 elite class, but logic has never been either a witness or a Christian strong point. So don't blame me for the inconsistency in witness beliefs.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

The Information Age has made the lunacy of the WTBTS's "truth" plain for all to see. They must re-brand or die.

Bullet-head Splane's comments are nothing more than part of the re-branding process. JWs can say, "We don't judge the Catholic Church." It's also a great "touchstone" because the WTBTS can point to Splane's ramblings as "proof" of the GB's humility in admitting that they have "problems" with the bible too.

DD

• umbertoecho
    umbertoecho

fulltimestudent. Can I call you nerd? That is a great name to be called. It fits no where in particular. You have a lot of knowledge and it would be good to sit with someone like you and pick your brain.

This is not a flirt, but a genuine compliment.

• TheWonderofYou
    TheWonderofYou

All what we know about Christianty whe heritated from Catolic Church, without CC we had no Christian faith today, without CC we had no Bible, because they were the copyists, we would be perhaps Actec, inkas, native americans, ethnic germans, celts and so on and would have our own old religion. Some cults remained, but the most have been dishonoured by exegeratted fanatism of christians similar to the JW fanatism who war saying that catolic church is the most evil in the world, together with christianity. and will be innihilated within short time in armageddon, the clery first as the current Watchtowers write. The Watchtower all full with that sh*t.

• TheWonderofYou
    TheWonderofYou

Fulltimestudent: The publishers...are normally very kind, but the watchtowers are full with pictures like..

Catolic Church is part of Babylon the great the worldempire of false religion and will be innihlated soon,

christianty first. !! Watchtower full with the f* sh*t.

This is a heritage that the JW have togehter with adventists and other sects, and all these congregational chapels of protestant origin love those pictures. The pope and CC as babylon and antichrist or similar stuff.

• TheWonderofYou
    TheWonderofYou
    David Splane: Please stop the Watchtower articles with saying Catolic Church is part of BAbylon the Great!!!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit