DO you REALLY think this is THE END OF JW's?

by minimus 35 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

Everytime a new revelation comes to the board, some suggest that this is the BIG ONE. Whether it be the blood issue, the U N debacle, the Silentlambs saga, some cryptic comment about JW's and their involvement with churches, it seems like nothing effects the Jehovah's witnesses rank and file. Personally. I believe that a number of things may take its toll on some people but even if you were able to catch the governing body with their hand in the cookie jar, most diehards will just continue to be mesmerized and follow the program....WHAT DO YOU THINK?

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

Well, I tried to talk to my mom about everything negative that the Society has been involved in (UN association, pedophile policy, false prophecy) and none of it phased her. I offered to send her all the info. I found but she said she refused to look at any of it. I think that a major, and I mean major event would have to occur in order to open any eyes. I'm talking huge catastrophy, like the Governing Body hiring hitmen to kill some apostates. But even then all the lil JW's would think they were set up.

So, I guess what I'm trying to say is that the pedophile policy will not be the end of the WBTS

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

I don't think there is any one killer-punch that will KO the WBTS. However, every minor and major scandal rocks the boat and they lose people overboard every time this happens. I've got a theory about organisational (particular church) growth - that after a certain critical mass number is reached growth skyrockets, then plateaus. It doesn't take much to see rapid "disgrowth" from the plateau. The WBTS has probably obtained as much numerical growth as they can at 6m people, and it's all down hill from here.

• minimus
    minimus

Hey stinky, I totally agree!

• jelly
    jelly

Honestly I dont ever see the organization just completely collapsing in on itself from the weight of outside scandals. What I do see is a slow death (like cancer) from the internet, the orgs only true threat. From my perspective there are three reasons that argue for a slow death.

(1) The organization controls the flow of information into its members. The center of congregations will not be affected by shows like dateline because they will simply not watch it and if they do they will simply accept any excuse the society gives for their actions. For example look on the boards limited to witnesses only and run by witness; they all excuse away the silent lambs scandal as being without merit. So basically scandals will not cause a mass exodus of witnesses because like mushrooms they are kept in the dark and fed sh*t; unlike mushrooms however they like it.

(2) Most non witnesses do not care or notice anything witness related. JWs have a hard time understanding this. The vast majority of people just do not care about them. The effect this has is that scandals are quickly forgotten by the general population. Basically 99% of the general population will not remember the dateline show on pedophiles in the org 3 months from now. The effect this has is that scandals will not cause an undue ripple effect in their ministry; in essence witnesses will not have to begin defend the org. and its scandals to householders because householders are unaware of the circumstances.

(3) The third reason, and the one that will have an impact on the org, is the internet. I believe the internet is the main reason for the slowing of growth of the society. When people begin to study with the witnesses most will have a natural curiosity to learn about them from other sources; with the volumes of information available on the internet I think witnesses are going to find it increasingly difficult to draw in honest hearted but gullible people (in the past their bread and butter). Basically all growth in the org is going to come from families already in and people living on societies edges.

So while I dont see any scandal causing a collapse of the society like that of the Soviet Union I do see a gradual decay leading towards insignificance.

Terry

• concerned mama
    concerned mama

Jelly, you are right on.

As a worldy person, if I hadn't had a need to learn about JWs I would been like all the rest, just as you said, basically not caring and just thinking they are weird. Which they are.

concerned mama

• simplesally
    simplesally

You know, the Catholics are still in business after the Medicis, the Borgias and other murders, bastard children, simony and even the recent scandal of their bank.... (and murder/sudden death of John Paul, not John Paul II).

You have the scandal of the PLN network and yet the tv evangelists are still in business.

You will always have the stick-to-it-people that they stick it to that will follow them.

• Dia
    Dia

I'm not so sure that's true.

It's been the WTS that's been adept at keeping everything secret and everyone blind and uninterested.

Depending on how these future lawsuits pan out and how the march turns out and the things that follow after that, I think it could suffer hugely.

Kind of like the Hare Krishnas or several other 'cults'. Everyone knows something about them, they continue to exist, but they no longer have the power to captivate blindly anymore.

• LB
    LB

Oh I'd love to think that the next time my son goes to attend a meeting the front doors are padlocked and a notice of termination is posted.

But they will continue. . Some may slowly fade away from the recentl scandles. Some who don't yet know they will fade away. They visit here. Lurk but don't have the courage to comment. Or they offer weak support for the borg. Studies have been affected by recent events. A JW friend told me he lost one when his study didn't like his answers. He figues satan was responsible for that, not the society.

It takes awhile to unplug from the collective.

• Athanasius
    Athanasius

I don't think the recent scandals in the Watch Tower will cause it to suddenly collapse. However, the JWs are still basically a convert's religion. Most of those raised in the Watch Tower leave the JWs when they become adults. The internet has slowed the number of converts in Europe and North American to a trickle. So without the new blood of converts the Watch Tower will gray and stagnate.

The younger members of the GB may initiate some reforms and push the organization toward the mainstream, in the hopes of attracting new members. But major changes in doctrine coming too fast can also cause a split in the organization, with Reform JW congregations on one side and the Orthodox JWs on the other. Though the Watch Tower will not disappear anytime soon, it will have to change. Hopefully it will change for the better.

Sincerely,

Athanasius

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit