DO you REALLY think this is THE END OF JW's?

by minimus 35 Replies latest jw friends

• Reborn2002
    Reborn2002

While I regret to admit it, despite the plethora of scandals which have rocked the JW world and have been publicized such as the masking of pedophilia (silentlambs and appearances on Dateline and Panorama, the exposing of Ted Jaracz for the corrupt, arrogant asshole he is), the blood doctrine issue (Shunned Father in Canada making headlines), the UN affiliation (plastered all over the Internet), etc.. The JW-organization WILL go on.. for now.

If the Watchtower Society sticks to their current doctrine and practices, they will most likely lose the vast majority of members as the diehard older ones kick the bucket and new recruits dont sign on (harder to convince the cynical, educated Internet generation now isn't it you WT lurker fucks?) costing them revenue and the ability to grow. This is already evident in the zero growth rate seen over the past decade or so in many developed countries (and this is according to the WT's own yearbooks and literature, which we all know are doctored and heavily altered by publishers to increase numbers which are not there)

If they decide to change policies drastically and go mainstream, this would probably demonstrate to the majority of the loyal members that it is not the true religion, but a publishing company seeking profit. Why would new members join up after learning their history?

Either way, they WILL LOSE numbers, as they already have.

Alas, I do not foresee their TOTAL elimination just yet. After all, the Catholics survived the Holy Crusades, which slaughtered MILLIONS in the name of God.

• jwsons
    jwsons

They just release Watchtower September 15, 2002 edition to strengthen the wall of WacoTower and Dark Society with strong oppose to media (TV,internet,palmtop connection via email etc..) on page 18. All are taboos to JWs at local Kingdom Halls. And they even warn their Bethellites be careful not to transfer their secret informations to media or outsiders (even insiders) as leaking informations which they call in this issue as "It is unwise to circulate unverified reports" (See pics on page 18 and 19)

• apostate
    apostate

Most schools in western countries have access to the Internet. Kids learn to use the Internet to research on everything they want to know about. The nex generation will not be so vulnerable to mind control as most of us were. The Watchtower slowly loses it's "magic" (mind control)

• TR
    TR

'Hovahs like my bro and sis in law don't listen to or read anything negative about the society. They live their lives fairly loosely according to WTS standards, and thats what makes their lives worth living while still being 'hovahs. They go to worldly functions like my oldest non-'hovah bros daughters wedding last week. Their own son, a "rebellious" dude, got married to a non-'hovah girl last Feb, and they helped foot the bill for the wedding. Their immediate family were the only 'hovahs there. No one else from the Kingdumb Hall.

So, like lifelong nominal Catholics, or Mormons, or whatever other religious faith, they just are "there", not caring what happens, but just clinging to the hope that their religion is "the" one, because 'geddon is just around the corner.

TR

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

Realise that most (but not all) JWs are not aware of the child abuse issue. Those that are do not care and will not leave because of the scandal. Realise also that this is a very good reason why the GB demonises the Internet, and most especially discussion boards.

It's easier to keep them on the farm if they haven't seen Paris.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost
    Either way, they WILL LOSE numbers, as they already have.

I'm sorry to be a 'wet blanket', but I must point out that the WTS is NOT losing numbers, not globally at any rate. Instead, worldwide, the Dubs are still increasing. Admittedly, the growth has slowed, but remember that's happened before, only to see a re-surge of new converts after a few more years.

Like Reborn, I agree that we will not see the demise of the WTS, not in my lifetime anyway. I believe that, in the long-term, it will re-invent itself in order to make itself more acceptable to the masses who are sought as converts. In what areas? Chronology mainly, for obvious reasons.

But I wish I was wrong.................

Cheers, Ozzie

• Preston
    Preston

I think people feel that they're in some kind of battle with the organization. It's like its the JW's vs. those who left, and so on and so forth, where they have to see an end to the borg once and for all or their lives can't go on. What I'm about to say is controversial, so fire away. There are people here who would have no lives without the organization's existence. They live in 1975, 1993, or some other time period, one that they can't get out of. Animal and I talked about this the other day when we met. I think the vast majority of us have picked up the pieces, saw our lives as JW's in context, and have moved on. Others have an unusual vendetta against the society. I mean, look at all the time some of you guys spend here. It seems like some of you spend every waking moment of your lives pursuing the grief, the shattered memories, the lost opportunities. Granted, I have not gone through what some of you have, in which case I am undeserving of writing this post. But think about this for a second, imagine if the organization collapsed tomorrow, meaning no organization, no structure, no orders from the top down. What would you have? A lot, if not most of the people in the borg would be in denial for the rest of their lives, becuase that's the only way they can see the world, though the governing body's eyes. It's just so tied in to their belief system. But imagine your lives. You wouldn't have anything to post on anymore. The organization would be gone, finished, kaput. Now ask yourselves what would you do then, move on with your lives, or grieve over an organziation that doesn't exist anymore? The battle that rages on is more complex than any one of us can imagine. It's the fish swimming upstream, its the guy standing in front of the tank. Jehovah's Witnesses, like the mormons, like the moonies, will go on forever as long as there are people who want to be used. Live with it, it's just a fact of life. It'ds a profitable business, and it will be around as long as they are capable of making a profit. Think about it, they've been around longer than most businesses. It's just a fact of life. It's a battle of the individual versus the collective, so don't expect any mass exodus soon.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

imagine if the organization collapsed tomorrow, meaning no organization, no structure, no orders from the top down. What would you have? .....................But imagine your lives. You wouldn't have anything to post on anymore. The organization would be gone, finished, kaput.

What would I have? Mrs Ozzie and I would have our children back!

Cheers, Ozzie

• cornish
    cornish

Just as the old hieratical catholic church and Church of England in time evolved into a different beast,I believe that eventually the WT will evolve into a different beast and soft pedal a lot of their old policies that have got them into a corner,even the Govening body will possibly not be seen in the same Divine light as at present,all the outside expose pressure will gradually bear fruit but not in the dissapearance of the organization but in evolution as has happened in so many other once infamous organizations.

It may take a while though.

• The Alchemist
    The Alchemist

There weakness is their need for the money from the mags etc. People are just going to stop the frantic pace (already happening). and The money will dry up. And so will "Jehovahs blessings" in the minds of the dubs. So it will weaken further and further. Eventually there will be less than 100,000 dubs in America and maybe a few million world wide. Their teachings will change and become more mainstream. They will sell of much of their printerys and properties and become like the churches in all ways including a heavenly calling for everyone. A few quirks here and there but at least you can celebrate birthdays with the new light.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit