Grieving

by Swan 23 Replies latest jw friends

• Swan
    Swan

It's been about two weeks since I came here. I've been having a lot of depression and nightmares concerning my family and the JWs. Ghastly visions of bloody mayhem and mutilation, not only of me, but also my husband and my little dog. Also, a lot of dreams where I am not in control and forced to go to meetings or assemblies, where I futilely search in vain for ways to get back my control.

In some ways this board has been a big help. I now know of three people from a congregation I went to in the 80's. One of them posts on this board regularly. I have had a few emails with her. I don't think she remembers me. I have changed a lot since then. The rest of you were strangers who are quickly becoming known to me, both through our common experiences, through your many posts, and through the wackiness that goes on here. Humor helps. But not always.

In some ways this board is very disturbing to me. I have been crying and grieving more since coming here. At times it is overwhelming to think about how your whole life was all just a great big lie, a horrendous farce perpetrated by other victims like myself, and perpetuated by some sort of mass hysteria gone horribly horribly wrong.

The Desperately Seeking section lists countless people like me, searching in vain for friends and family torn away from them. We were separated in just as an efficient and effective manner as any Nazi Holocaust ever executed.

The research provided by diligent and dedicated members among us is a valuable service, potentially lifesaving and yet, bittersweet. Posts that tell of rampant child abuse that was covered up, the WTBTS involvement with military investments and the United Nations, the prophecies that never came true, the testimony of JW leaders in court, the blood transfusion quackery, and other exposes like them are often disturbing to me. They say that the truth hurts. It does. How could I have been so blind, so stupid, for so long? How could the people I love and who claimed to love me choose that twisted promise over their real flesh and blood?

Unfortunately I know the answers to those questions. I was as much as a victim as they still are. Cut off from all other avenues of learning and thinking, and bombarded by propaganda, it is impossible to see any other viewpoint. Even though I had some doubts, when I first left the JWs, I still believed. Their hold on me was still that strong. I felt it was better to live the last remaining years before Armageddon as a free person, than to spend life in eternity where I was not. I still expected it to come. The death. The destruction. I woke up one night to a thunderstorm and wondered if that was the end. Were they right after all?

Slowly I began to find evidence that they weren't right. But I resisted coming here, to these "apostate" web sites. I was afraid of your judgment, for one thing. I couldn't take rejection like that again. I was also afraid that if my family found out that I came here, it would ruin any chance that I had of ever contacting them again. So I avoided this board for 8 long years. I ran from the nightmares instead of turning and facing them.

None of my "worldly" friends or my husband have ever understood what was like to be a JW. At least here I have found others who have been victims like me. You understand. You know. You care. I can talk here and be accepted.

So I have been here, doing a lot of reading, a lot of pondering, and an awful lot of crying.

Thank you.

Tammy

• Robdar
    Robdar

Hi Tammy,

I want to welcome you to the board.

Yes, healing is often painful. Yes, you will continue to grieve. Yes, the nightmares may continue for many years. I still have them and have been completely out of the Tower since 1989 when I attended my last memorial. I still cry when I read some of the posts on this board.

I admire the fact that you are still coming to this board even though in some ways it is disturbing to you. You may not find many answers to the meaning of life, but the love and support of fellow member on this board are a treasure. We are a family and sometimes we squabble, but there is never a time that one of us will not help you, if we can.

I want to encourage you to keep seeking. It does get better. I promise that it does.

Love,

Robyn

• Fire Dragon
    Fire Dragon

((((((((((((((((((((Tammy)))))))))))))))))))))

I too had the nightmares and mourning when I first left the WTS. Nightmares of being out of control...of being shunned. My dreams reflected the chaos and power struggle of good vs evil that I pondered every day. I feared for my life during storms. I determined that if the end came and I was still a dub then Jah would destroy me anyway b/c he knows our hearts and would know that I only served as a dub to get into paradise. So I decided that since I would be destroyed anyway, I might as well enjoy the rest of the only life I'd get.

I was wrong. I finally stopped believing in the lies that the WTS preaches. READ as much as you can b/c this helps you learn about their lies. This is what has helped me get over thinking they were right. I now enjoy thunderstorms and I don't fear dying. I enjoy my life free from the requirements and restraints of that aweful cult.

Celebrate your freedom, Tammy. Enjoy life to the fullest everyday!!

-Fire

• Jesika
    Jesika

I don't have to tell you that I understand, cause all I would have to tell you is I am df'd. I have not cried about the loss of family in over 5-6yrs. Last night I was in the chat room and one of the people on the board said something in a way that brought back all the feelings I have refused to feel for so long. I am keeping back the tears now as I am writing this........but I was crying soooooo hard I couldn't even see the screen in the chat room. A life time in a cult takes a long time to get over, some would say it takes a lifetime. I know that it hurts to see that everything you were ever taught and believed wholeheartedly was a lie. The feeling of betrayal from the ones who preached to speak the truth and did so in the name of God, and have lied to us the whole time isn't easy to deal with. You find yourself asking WHY over and over again---but in vain----there are so many reasons, but none to my satisfaction. We have good days and bad days, and in time the good days are more prevalent (sp?). Chin up sweet heart and just to know we are not alone anymore is very soothing---at least to me. We are here for the good days and the bad ones, and to cry is to deal and to morn. We have good reason to cry, and those who have lived that life have all cried with you. It will become easier and that's what makes me go on, knowing it will and believing it will.

I send you a big hug and kiss,

Love Jesika

• Dawn
    Dawn

Hi Tammy:

Your grieving is a natural reaction to the process. You are basically "retracting" yourself from a high control group - although it is a positive step you are also finding a large part of your life is now empty. It is no longer controlled and is therefore open/void.

The first thing you need to do is fill your void space with positive actions. Is there a hobby or sport you were always interested in? Take dance classes, ice skating classes, or a class at your community college. Not only will you be gaining back your life - but you'll meet new people and make new friends - creating or expanding your social existience outside of the JW club.

I, and most others here, went through the same thing.

At first I was scared, couldn't believe they were wrong, and now how do I put everything in perspective?

Then I got angry - how could this happen? How could I have been so blind? They stole my childhood and my family!

The anger stayed with me for about a year or more. But then I moved past it and have come to a point in life where I want to help others - and can also see the past as a part of who I am.

You will eventually stand before this huge stone wall of the JW existence and do one of two things: (1) let it stop you from moving on with your life, or (2) climb on top - put it under your feet and find out what is open to you on the other side.

Keep moving ahead Tammy - this is a tough road right now but it will get better!

• Nikita
    Nikita

Tammy, just wanted to welcome you!

I have been where you are, I think many of us have. I know for a long time I would re-think my decision. For a long time I pictured myself being destroyed at Armageddon. (Those WT images are like ingrained in us, I think!) For a long time I wouldn't dare read any "apostate" material!

I just finished reading "Crisis of Conscience" and am just now finding out things about the organization I wasn't aware of!

Everything you are feeling and going through seems to be similar to many here, just hang in there!

Hugs,

Nikita

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes

Tammy, I am so glad you shared that, doing that will help alot too.

I can in here not that long ago really, but I left the borg that I was raised in a year ago. I had the terrible bloody nightmares to of destruction, it was so bad I went to the doctor over the nightmares and depression. He told me when you dream of actual blood and guts stuff, it is a classic sympton of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. Now being in the JW was a cult and I never saw it as that until I left , so that could be some of the brainwashing going on that you are not even aware of. The famous JW fear factor, dying in armeggedon, and that you are taking your whole family down with you. I had some childhood abuse resurface too and had to deal with that..

Well, my nightmares slowly faded with time, not that long of a time really, and I havent had one in along time, I have nightmares sometimes but they are not related to JW stuff anymore. Just hang in there and it will pass. The more you are afraid of the dreams the worse they will be.

A very wise person told me to give myself a year to heal. Don't try to find out too many answers right now, give yourself a break. Start enjoying yourself and finding things you once loved again, even if it doesnt feel natural. It takes years to get over being in a cult and if you can remember the stages of what happens to you mentally when you leave, you will see a clear pattern. Most of us are going thru it here on the board, just at different levels. I am so much better than I was months ago. I am sure you will see that in time you will feel so much better. Keep posting, feel free to express yourself that is how you will heal. My email is open so if you ever want to talk about your dreams or anything eles, i will be there to support you. There are many here who have done the same for me and it made all the difference in the world. Just hold on honey,,,,,,,,,,, it will get better......Dede

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes

Oh and by the way,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Tammy, we from this day forward will call you "Beautiful Swan", you all ready are the swan,, hope you see that,, what a sweet and beautiful soul you have. Remember we are here for you, the ladies of this board are strong , independant and the best damn friends a girl could ask for. We have a blast in the chat room, and we laugh alot,,,,,, laughter is the best medicine afterall. love ya ,dede

• orangefatcat
    orangefatcat

Dear Tammy, please except my huge *hug* that I am sending right now to you. You have endured much and still are. Sounds like you need some good friends and you will find many in here who really do care. I am saddened that you have these terrible nightmares. This is only a suggestion but have you considered taking to your doctor. Perhaps there is a mild sedetive that he/she could give to you so that you don't experience these terrible nightmares. Sometimes, even taking to your practioner is helpful. They have good listening ears.

Even posting here is helpful, just getting things off you chest as it were is heathly. I am glad you have a good cry too as this helps relieve stress and anxiety that is pent up inside our body and mind.

When I feel stressed out I lay down and listen to soft music and close my eyes and think of wonderful things. The beauty of live the birth of child the grandeur of the universe the silliness of little animals, the joy I have from my son, the love of my husband , the gift of my friends and the wonderful new friends I have met in here and the sounds of the waves rushing to the shore, the sounds of birds and the beauty of life. Any thing that gives me a smile brings me contentment and happiness and when I wake up each and every new day, I feel so happy to be alive and yes thank and I love God and Christ , and I know they guide throughout the day. For all this I can live life and say I am here for another day. May you find the peace you seek and the contentment you need.

Bless you Tammy

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Hey (((UglyDuckling))),your a Survivor.Welcome to the club...OUTLAW

Edited by - OUTLAW on 1 August 2002 13:45:3

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit