My daddy wants to sue the elders!!!!

by Vivamus 14 Replies latest jw friends

• Grunt
    Grunt

Hi V,
    If you can prove they said it,I would say sue for sure. They are facing so much litigation and in fear of more so will probably settle out of court with a secrecy clause, take the money and spend it but make a copy of the check and frame it to put over the mantle. I believe the WT is going to be writting a lot of checks out pretty soon. I hope they have to give away every penny they've duped people out of by promising things they didn't deliver on and could, like love and compassion, never mind the lies they told about being "The Faithful and Discreet Slave" delivering lies as food at the proper time and promising life in a paradise they dreamed up to fit their own desires. Future kings, what a joke.

Grunt

• William Penwell
    William Penwell
    A fundamental concept of American constitutional law is sepa­ration between church and state. This basic concept severely lim­its any inquiry by a secular court into religious matters. When dealing with matters of church administration and government -matters purely of ecclesiastical cognizance-secular courts have no power to review church decisions. In Watson v. Jones. 13 Wallace 679, 80 U.S. 679. 727 (1871), the United States Supreme Court held:

I was reading the link that Incense_and_Peppermints posted up above. Interesting to note although a little of the topic. the US constitution allows for them to administer and govern matters purely of "ecclesiastical cognizance". Some one correct me here, but I get out of this statement that judicial committees are only allowed to judge moral issues and not criminal issues. So where do they get off of sticking their noses into any matters that are criminal in nature? i.e. child abuse, rape, stealing etc. These cases surely should be turned over to the laws of the land to be dealt with.

Will

• abbagail
    abbagail

LOL! to this comment:

...there's thousands of f-----up people out there AND THE WTS IS TO BLAME. if the courts want proof, then they can subpeona this whole freakin' message board.

I think the MAIN point Viv was trying to make is that her daddy stuck up for her, which is a BIG THING, especially if you've had a dad (and mom for that matter) who have no idea what the concept is. Cheers to your dad!

As far as suing, the celebs sue all the time for libel and slander, etc., AND THEY WIN, too.

It's true, though, who heard the elder say it? Only you? If he said it to other JWs, would THEY testify in court? I guess they could be subpoenaed and then they would have NO choice about it. You have a lot more leeway in civil suits rather than criminal actions, btw. Anybody can sue for anything as the Plaintiff. Then the BURDEN is not on you, but on the Defendant (whom you are suing) to PROVE they DIDN'T do it. That's the beauty of civil lawsuits.

Calling someone a slut, I wouldn't think, would come under the realm of spiritual/religious laws, as quoted above by Will. Besides, that case law is from 1871. Hasn't anything been decided in court since then?

(PS to Will: You are correct in your OT questioning, i.e., WTS has no business making inhouse decisions re: CRIMINAL matters.)

I'm with whoever said to get your/Viv's dad's attorney to, at the very least, WRITE the elder A SCARY letter on his fancy Attorney-At-Law Letterhead including the phrase: "I DEMAND that you CEASE and DESIST from slandering my client's reputation IMMEDIATELY..." (Go after the ELDER's assets first. Think the WTS is gonna back him up? DOUBT IT!!!) You don't even have to sue at first. Just have the attorney send the letter to the individual elder demanding compensation FROM HIM PERSONALLY for emotional anguish AND a written apology!

My former boss (attorney) used to send letters using that phrase all the time ("CEASE & DESIST"). Nothing like a great threatening letter on attorney letterhead to make people sweat and squirm, as has been stated, even if you never get a cent from it. They do serve a purpose on this planet = what are "sharks" for if not to scare the beegeebers outta people?

Grits

PS: Grunt and Grits should join the Seven Dwarfs along with Sleepy and Stinky. ;)

Edited by - Grits on 30 July 2002 0:46:42

• LB
    LB

Suing is too good for them. Most elders don't have anything to get anyway. I think daddy should kick their ass. I know he would love to do exactly that. It's a daddy thing when you love a daughter.

• Vivamus
    Vivamus

Thanks for the link Incense, that is interesting.

But the law is a bit different here in Holland. If my dad wanted to sue for emotional damage, he would need to prove in court that due to the Borg, I would be severely mentally damaged, like in need of psychiatric help. That does not apply to me, so he would have no case on those grounds.

He could make a case in suing for slander, but since I was called a slut in an elderly meeting, I have no prove of that. Only one other elder was there, and I doubt it would work to call him for testimony.

I do like the idea of letting his attorney writing a letter, demanding an apology! It probably wouldnt work a bit, but I would love to make them sweat! Thanks for the suggestion.

But it is just the fact that he got so angry at their audacity for calling me a slut... That took me by surprise and makes me want to smile all day long. It feels so good to have him back me up, defending me. Also LB, I think youre a great daddy saying I think daddy should kick their ass. I know he would love to do exactly that. It's a daddy thing. That is so sweet!

Viv.

Edited by - Vivamus on 30 July 2002 2:26:39

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit