Is shunning effective?

by rebel8 27 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• confused
    confused
    So is that correct that shunning only became a practice at the time of Franz leaving? Can anyone qualify that please?
  • kaik
    kaik
    Shunning is effective in certain situation on certain individuals. For people who suffered emotional abuse and trauma from their JW families, shunning can be a way to break away from poisonous, unhealthy surrounding; and person can heal from it. For others as mentioned int he posts, shunning is a control policy from WT to keep flock in fear. Many JWs would leave WT and KH if they would not fear losing friends and family, and social ties. With this fear, it keeps them nicely obedient and subjected to the will of WT.
  • sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

I know of several that woke up after being shunned because of DFing or the milder but just as traumatic pre-emptive shunning that can occur when there is a public reproval. 

So it was effective, just not in the intended way.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

kaik - "Many JWs would leave WT and KH if they would not fear losing friends and family, and social ties. With this fear, it keeps them nicely obedient and subjected to the will of WT."

Whilst slowly, quietly hating the WTS more and more for the invisible chain it still has them shackled to...

• label licker
    label licker

If jw's would stop judging, squealing, stalking, gossiping and lying of others and would stand against what the org promotes which isn't love, then this would force the religion to change their shunning policies to a more loving approach for those who simply don't want to be in it anymore. 

If they truly followed the scriptures, most of them would leave. Most have been trained not to even have a conscience anymore but to be spoon fed their messed up doctrines. Poor sheep have been skinned alive before their slaughter.

1 Corinthians 4:3-5. This scripture alone shows they don't have Christ's backing for they have no faith in that he is the one and only to do the judging. As well, they lack love which Yeshuah had come to preach. How sad for the jw`s to deny his death when they feel their death cancels out their sins. (Romans 6:7 is this scripture they use for proof)

• user100
    user100

there was an experience at the assembly once where some idiot was swearing he would not have come back to the religion if it werent for his family shunning him... so he came back.. any half witted human would see that he came back so he can be with his family and not because of the love of the religion er i mean truth.

there are couple people in my kh that came back after being df'ed.. i almost wanna smack them across their face and ask why are you back?? snap out of it!!

all this coming from an idiot that is still attending meetings.. atleast i stopped commenting and field servicing 2 years ago.. mainly because of a brainwashed wife... and parents.

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

Is shunning effective. Here's some things to consider.

66.6% of DFed people never return.

From my observation (and although I have no evidence to it)I would say that the frequency of DFs is increasing.

Some DFed ones then take their issues to the internet which in turn creates further havoc when it's members and those thinking of joining the group read it. Hence the 2014 increase in most western countries is 1%. The world is growing at a rate of 1.3% so they weren't even able to retain the rate at which the world is growing.

I personally think shunning just sweeps issues  under the carpet. It antagonize and makes the shunned one worse and more determined than ever that they will never return.

• Dagney
    Dagney

Shunning for me just made me angrier.  

But shunning is very effective in keeping a fair percentage in the fold on high control groups.  Many tow the line in fear of the rejection by loved ones.  

If I had stopped to consider the oncoming loss, it may have taken me years to leave, if ever.  

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit