How many ex-JWs out there?

by EXJWBrit 25 Replies latest jw experiences

• Adonai438
    Adonai438

Welcome :)

ExJW since 1995.

The site is for discussion on everything jw and no one is turned away unless they are attacking people and so on. The majority of the people here are exjws or people looking to learn some info. We have a few renagade JWs here trying to 'win us back into the fold' so to speak but they don't get very far.

I am now christian and not bitter at anyone, although there are plenty of reasons!

• Valis
    Valis

I'm still a baptised member in good standing as far as I know...never got shepparding calls or notification of any action taken against me....*straightens the halo over horns* *L*

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• kenpodragon
    kenpodragon

Here is my weird math, but it will make sense ...

The Witness loss on average 30,000 people to being DF'ed in the USA each year. That is 3% of the total Witnesses in the USA. That does not count people who walked away!!!!! Should also note, that few of these ever come back.

So if 2-3% is the world average (which seems realistic) then they loss about 120,000 - 180,000 each year. So between 1990 - Now, they have lost close to a million at least. Since 1975, I am sure the number is closer to 1.5-2 million.

Just some odd math

Dragon

• blacksheep
    blacksheep

Hi, I've been Disassociated for nearly 20 years, but have close family who are JWs. They still don't know quite what to do with me, since I took the "dunk" at the age of 13. Apparently, had I not done so, things would be oh, so much easier!! Apparently my irreversible life decision at the ripe old age of 13 is being held against me...

I'm happy to be able to finally share experiences and common family issues with others. When I was first leaving years and years ago, I was a young, pretty frightened (remember I was RAISED as a JW: that certainly doesnt' prepare you for any kind of LIFE in the "world...") who realized I may never find the "truth," but who was also sensible enough to realize that the JW organization was NOT any kind of an answer...I went through many experiences, talked to a few therapists, and generally felt alone most of the time. It took several years before I really felt comfortable in my own skin. Before I could get past all the hopeless crap I was doled out during my childhood; the center of which was the JW doctrine, lifestyle, etc.

Had a forum like this existed then, I think it would have made my transition a lot easier. It's been many, many years since I left; however, I'm still affected by their belief systems and am, of course, still dealing with the family disfunciton thing.

Yes, definately an "ex" witness. But, actually, in my heart, I never WAS one to begin with. Not really "bitter." I think I've managed to integate all the negativity of my life as a JW into my life now, pretty much for the good. But I DO resent having to deal with the emotional sommersaults my JW family seems to be going through. I'm getting close to asking THEM to leave me alone once and for all, rather than come into and out of my life with their game playing. Which seems to be linked with whatever "attitude du jour" they must express to their DA'd relatives such as me. Making sure they know that I'm being purposely excluded. So that way, I'll KNOW what sweet fellowship from my loving family I'm missing, and "come back into the truth." Oh, and my never believing mate will also. The JW approval of our relatives OBVIOUSLY means so much to me...

• apple829
    apple829

I was raised a witness, but never baptised--rebelled when I was 15. Now some 15 years later, I still carry around the JW baggage. Just can't seem to shake it!

• Mackin
    Mackin

Hi there and welcome to all the new posters (and those reading who haven't quite summoned the courage to post yet).

You will find a lot of other here who are going/have gone thru the same or similar experiences as you. You are among friends here who can, and want to help you adjust. Read thru some the posts where various people have told their stories, you'll find lots of us have been there, done that.

Glad to meet you all.

Mackin

• Simon
    Simon

I can't remeber the site but I remember reading that there is quite a high 'churn rate' of members. People leave and are replaced (although this is slowing down).

If you are currently attending meetings then think back 10 or 20 years ... how many faces are missing and how many are 'new'. How many have come and gone.

All viewed as expendable to a printing corporation just as kirby cleaner and encyclopeadia salesman are to their companies.

• revdrjohnson
    revdrjohnson

I'm angry about what happened to me but also a little comforted by the fact that there are so many others who have similar stories to me!

(I've said this before, on other posts ...)

BIG CHANGE from 1974 -- when I left-- that there are probably close to 100 XJW sites, including this one. There are more than 6,500 active members here, as well. www.freeminds.org has lots of personal stories about people who have had similar experiences to you. Also check out:

http://www.watchtowerinformationservice.org/links.html

http://www.freeminds.org/othrlink.htm

http://xjw-central.com/key.html

http://xjw-central.com/gentopics.html

http://xjw-central.com/morelinx.html

• Preston
    Preston

Let me try to answer your questions, one by one:

Are you all ex JWs like me? It varies, some are active, some aren't, some are teetering on the brink of inactivity....

Are we what the still-practising JWs would call apostates? Yes.

Are we in the wrong? Good heavens, no. Ask yourself why you are here.

Are we fulfilling prophecy or are we just a little bitter about being f***ed by the Society? I guess the f****king bit is a bit more in tune to reality than that prophesy stuff....

Is it a religion for the rich? No, but it is a religion for the peevish, the insecure, the lonely, the vindictive...oh..wait a sec....I think I just described Jehovah God....bad boy....silly me! That's another thing, a lot of us don't care too whits about Bible-God, so expect mucho blasphemy!

I'm angry about what happened to me but also a little comforted by the fact that there are so many others who have similar stories to me! Good

How many are we and how many active JWs are there? Who the heck knows!

• ballistic
    ballistic

Preston, if you don't mind me saying you are wrong about the apostate question. You have to think about what the witness definition of an apostate is. And even then not everybody would fit the more broader term.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit