LETTER READ TONIGHT

by biblexaminer 42 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• biblexaminer
    biblexaminer

Well, the WTS has directed all elders in Canada to read a letter concerning the Child Abuse issue. It is the same whitewash as read in the US a while back when Dateline aired. It seems that on the 'eve of destruction' (ie BBC and Panorama) the WTS has decided to read a letter that was obviously penned weeks ago. It commneded the "brothers" to enjoy the upcoming District Convention which has already passed. I guess they held off till they just HAD to read it. Second thoughts etc.

In any case, SILENT LAMBS has FORCED the Watchtower to make a policy change. Now, each one can go to POLICE with their abuse case. I would like to see elders tell abuse victims privately that they will be shunned and disfellowshipped (excommunicated) if they use the option set out publicly.

Edited by - biblexaminer on 9 July 2002 22:5:37

Edited by - biblexaminer on 9 July 2002 22:9:34

• dungbeetle
    dungbeetle

My concerns are still the same:

1) adherents are told they MAY go to the police if they wish. They are not told they may go to the police FIRST. They are also not told that they may go to the police ONLY...that 1967/1972/1983/1989 prohibitions still remain in effect. And also the same regualtions set out in the 1985 Watchtower that says you cannot procure justice from the secular courts against a brother/sister STILL APPLY.

2) In all fifty states AND the U.S. government, in one form or another, it is the law that parents and many adults MUST seek care/report to authorities if their child is sexually abused. This letter lets any Witness that does not follow these laws, putting the congregation and the public at risk, remain a Witness in good standing.

3) Completley out of the ordinary, the letter in my congregation was read AT THE MINISTRY school ONLY and then was never put on the wall along with the other letters from Watchtower.

And then of course, there is the same old "Known child molesters may NOT hold positions of responisbility in the congregations.."

Yes, but Women are not allowed to hold positions of responsibility in the organization PERIOD!!!

things that make you go hmmm....

• biblexaminer
    biblexaminer

Oh yes. That's all true, and the WTS has a long way to go yet.

To be specific, a long way DOWN to go.

It is good to see them on the run...

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns

Very interesting. I agree that this is a positive thing that can be directly attributed to the whole Silentlambs movement. When the matter is discussed publicly, even though the policy might not be perfect it certainly makes it easier for people to go to choose to go to the authorities and more difficult for molesters to hide.

Path

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Hello,

I can report that Legal in Canada have been instructed to advise anybody calling them with an allegation of child abuse, that they should immediately call the authorities....and then goodbye, as in, do not talk to us about this, talk to the Police.

This has been in effect for only a matter of weeks. We must learn that although we feel powerless at times, 'apostates' have a combined influence that is challenging and changing, much more rapidly that they would like, WTS policy. Bill Bowen has shown that if you swivel your cannons from attacking individual JW's, who can change nothing, to pressuring the leadership who can precipitate the changes, the direction of the WTS will be influenced for the better.

Once again the WTS has lost its battle with the 'apostates', it is also losing the war. Many CO's and DO's who are aware of this Board have within their hands the documentary evidence to bring even further positive changes, and I now appeal to them to make contact - your privacy of course will be guaranteed.

Recently I was contacted by a CO in a European country who is deeply disturbed at what he sees going on within the WTS at senior level, not with child-abuse especially, but with other hidden nightmares. He said, "I do not know where to turn", I assured him, as I assure others reading, that there are listening ears and that we *can* help

HS

• minimus
    minimus

HILLARY, I believe that alot of co's and do's and other responsible ones know there are serious problems that probably gnaw at them.But where are these guys gonna go? No income, no skills, too old for most well paying jobs,no education.....the list goes on and on. Most of these people have no real power so they will continue to go along with the status quo.....very sad 'cause it ain't gonna change.

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns
    I can report that Legal in Canada have been instructed to advise anybody calling them with an allegation of child abuse, that they should immediately call the authorities....and then goodbye, as in, do not talk to us about this, talk to the Police.

Maybe the battle is over if this becomes an organization-wide policy? In the end do they really want these headaches anyway?

Interesting post Hillary.

Path

• dungbeetle
    dungbeetle

No, pathofthorns, I don't think Watchtower, Legal or otherwise, WANTS a quarter or a third of their pedophile elders/co's/do's in jail.

But once they are, then Watchtower will have no reason NOT to change---woppie to dooie.

I truly believe that what minimus says hits the nail on the head. The CO's and DO's are unique in that they TRULY have NO PLACE TO GO. If we want to help these people, we are going to have to establish someplace they can go, one couple at a time; someone to put them up and feed and clothe them for the six months or two years it will take to help an older couple get established in this world.

Don't think it isn't going to come to that. DON'T THINK FOR A MINUTE IT WON'T COME TO THAT. Apstates putting in together to buy acres of property and putting up co/do tent villages...

<sigh>

• jst2laws
    jst2laws

HS,

Good to hear from you again. You said:

This is very encouraging. Not that I am admiring the WT stand but that the efforts and sacrifices of so many people (who are now fight attempts to DF them) have resulted in needed changes that may protect more children within the WT society. I have heard an isolated experience within the U.S. that also indicated the WT society is starting to handle matters in the proper and more legal way.

They are going to keep altering their policies to do the right thing and about 5 years from now they will publish a letter or WT article patting themselves on the back as being the faithful and wise servant of God divinely directed in this matter of child abuse.

What matters is those who are speaking up have initiated these changes. I'm am proud of them.

Jst2laws

• expatbrit
    expatbrit

Sorry, but I remain completely unimpressed with this, particularly with the instructions given to the Legal Department in Canada.

that they should immediately call the authorities....and then goodbye, as in, do not talk to us about this, talk to the Police.

This is a cop-out, an attempt to avoid any responsibility motivated by fear of lawsuits. What kind of concern does this show for the so-called "sheep" that they are supposed to be "shepherding". Kids being abused in the congregations? Don't tell us, we don't want to know about it!

Those in power know full well that this will do nothing to address the pervasive atmosphere of pressurised silence within the organisation. That while they sit back and try to wash their hands of the problem, the magical phrases like "not bringing reproach upon Jehovah" will continue to accomplish the silencing of victims they desire.

It is not good enough. The WT must take active steps to correct the problem, encouraging victims to seek help and justice from the proper authorities. They must take steps to minimise the risk to potential further victims, such as stopping paedophiles going to unsuspecting householders doors with little or no supervision.

Sticking their fingers in their ears and saying "we don't want to hear it" wont make the problem (or it's consequences) go away.

Expatbrit

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit