Lots of Jehovah Bashing in Here

by Perfection Seeker 57 Replies latest jw experiences

• funkyderek
    funkyderek
    Maybe for ME, I NEED to believe in God- otherwise- I would say- what is the point of living?

How does the existence of a god give life a point? If life is meaningless without god, why does it become meaningful with a god?

• dubla
    dubla

comf-

I'd like you to explain why you think not believing in God equates to going against "God's laws".

im not trying to answer for jj, but this seems pretty obvious to me. "gods laws" encompass much more than simple morals, surely you know this. how could you possibly be following the laws of someone you do not believe exists?

aa

• JanH
    JanH

Perfection Seeker,

Maybe for ME, I NEED to believe in God- otherwise- I would say- what is the point of living?

This is the mainstream Christian version of the JW slogan "where should we go". Christians have continuously propagated that life is meaningless without having a postulated supernatural being impose meaning on life.

The so-called "meaning" the Christian religion has imposed on its followers is no more real than the meaning you can find yourself. It is also created by humans.

The real question is if you want your life to take on your meaning or a meaning imposed from self-styled prophets and priests thousands of years ago.

Such belief in God is an imaginary cure for people who have continuosly been convinced they are sick and sinfull and need snake-oil from them to get well. And of course, they never get well, and need more and more of the fake medicine.

For me, being an atheist was not a conscious choice. I found out I did not really believe in God anymore. And once I realized this, I also realized that the old propaganda was just plain wrong. Life has no less meaning without believing in fairy tales.

- Jan

PS: Simon, can you fix this page? It seems it's bassplayer's message that makes it near unreadable

Edited by - JanH on 10 July 2002 11:52:42

• Perfection Seeker
    Perfection Seeker

I said this before, and maybe I didn't get my point across well, might not this time, either, but I guess if I have hope that there is a God- and I want to please him, and be greatful for his graces, and my life, then I live my life differently, knowing when I die- this life was for a purpose. If I don't believe in God, and think this life is all there is- well, there is ALOT of good, but alot of bad. If there is no life after this one, ... well, I guess accumulating riches, fame & fortune, friends, family- it just doesn't make sense in my mind- unless there is a reason BEYOND this life.

Go easy on me. I'm not even officially out of the clutches of the organization. Every day- I get healed and a little further in my progress, but just like I've said before- I have NO intentions of trying to get my family out- it works for them- and they are happy. In the same way, I NEED to believe there is a God, for me, for now-

Thanks everyone!

• Kjell Hedblom
    Kjell Hedblom

MELISSA!!

You are so right in what you are saying in all your posts! I understand everythoughts that you are saying and I agree in all of them.Your believes ar personal and NO-ONE should try to take away them.

I just wanted to say that.

Even more Hugs from me and my Family!!

Kjell Hedblom

• gumby
    gumby

FD...How does the existence of a god give life a point?

It does if you connect the bible to God which many making these posts connect together. With the God of the bible, you have answers to why we are here. Whats lifes purpose? Is there life after death? Why is the world and the people in it suffering?

Where does one go for these answers without belief in the bible or God? When a person comes to the realisation that either of these two could possibly not be the real deal......you are left confused, and you wonder about answers to these things.

• COMF
    COMF

Hi, dubla,

this seems pretty obvious to me. "gods laws" encompass much more than simple morals, surely you know this.

I'm going on the assumption that you're Christian.. correct me if I'm wrong on that.
    According to the New Testament, God's laws do not "encompass much more than
    simple morals". "He that loves his fellowman has fulfilled the law. ...Love does not
    work evil to one's neighbor; therefore love is the law's fulfillment."
    - Romans 13:8, 10.

how could you possibly be following the laws of someone you do not believe exists?

The same way I can drive down a road not knowing the speed limit, doing the speed
    that seems right to me, and be within the limit. This seems pretty obvious to me.

Edited by - COMF on 10 July 2002 21:19:41

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

Again, I say,

Jehovah Who?

All this hubbub about nothing. Just God. The God who won't settle the question, or make himself known.

The nonexistant God.

Get over him, people.

ash

• dubla
    dubla

comf-

I'm going on the assumption that you're Christian.. correct me if I'm wrong on that.

i dont label myself as anything actually. i used to be a jw (born and raised), and ive been out for the last 6 years. i dont go to any church, but i do still believe in the bible. i suppose there are many definitions of the word "christian", and i fit at least one, that of believing in christ. but im hardly following in his footsteps or following any religion based on his life at this point in my life.

God's laws do not "encompass much more than
    simple morals".

well, i guess it all depends on how you think of that term, "gods laws". sure, you can show me one scripture that refers to "the law", but if youre very familiar with the bible, you know that much more than that is asked of those doing gods will. thats all i meant by the comment, but i suppose you can take any number of scriptures and make a different case out of each one.....in context though, there are many things involved in serving god (worship, morals, accepting jesus as the savior, preaching, etc, etc), when you deal with gods word as a whole. of course, if you dont believe in the bible, its really all pointless anyhow....why would you even care about following "gods laws" if in fact you do not believe he exists?

The same way I can drive down a road not knowing the speed limit, doing the speed
    that seems right to me, and be within the limit. This seems pretty obvious to me.

and this seems like obviously faulty logic to me. so are you saying that you might accidentally be following gods law without knowing it? what if the speed that seemed right to you was in fact 20 over the limit? how would you know unless you got pulled over?

aa

• funkyderek
    funkyderek
    With the God of the bible, you have answers to why we are here. Whats lifes purpose? Is there life after death? Why is the world and the people in it suffering?

Where does one go for these answers without belief in the bible or God? When a person comes to the realisation that either of these two could possibly not be the real deal......you are left confused, and you wonder about answers to these things.

OK, I'll accept that if you decide to believe in a god, you get answers (albeit probably the wrong answers) to some of the big questions, but how does this make life more meaningful? If you can't find meaning in your day-to-day existence, what exactly are you planning to do for eternity?

Not knowing all the answers does not make life meaningless, nor does the fact that our existence is transient.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit