Lots of Jehovah Bashing in Here

by Perfection Seeker 57 Replies latest jw experiences

• bassplayer
    bassplayer

If you are looking for enlightenment, read the history of the bible and how it came into being. Also a few books on the reasons people believe what they believe and why it is so easy to bamboozle and fool them. ; These are informative books. ; As regards the bible, divine inspiration and contradiction cannot exist together. ; LIVE TO LEARN
  • heathen
    heathen

IMO- If people would just follow the two comandments that jesus gave this would be a much better world all together. To love your nieghbor as yourself alone is a profound statement that should evoke all people to love and fine works .Do unto others as you would have others do unto you could not hurt anyone. I may be a heathen but I'm kinda with you on the pointless bashing of a being nobody can prove exists anyway.I also see the benefits in what jesus and the aposles had to say .True though there are countless bad examples of christians in the world but I choose to look at the the example that the former had to set and realize that they too claimed to represent God and according to scripture did many nice things for alot of people.

• SYN
    SYN

Religion (in basically any form, the basic format of worshipping a higher being is that of which I speak) will probably seem very primitive and tribal to our distant relatives a few millions years from now. In fact, I strongly suspect that they will name this and about the previous few thousand years the Age of Superstition.

For once we have created life too, what are WE but God? Already humanity knows about the attributes of simple emergent behaviour systems inside computers - we are just taking the very first few steps down the road to eventually creating life ourselves. Who's to say that we won't seed planets in the future with our own, custom-manufactured life forms to terraform them?

The concept of God is a cyclic one that extends down into infinity in this way and is virtually incomprehensible to me.

• BeautifulGarbage
    BeautifulGarbage

Hi Perfection Seeker,

You didn't answer my questions. I'm curious to your response.

How do you know it was Jehovah?

If Jehovah has been wonderful to you, why not others?

Andee

• CC Ryder
    CC Ryder

We have wonderful minds and good hearts...a cult like the WTS suppresses that and destroys them...by beginning to rebuild your own inner self again you will realize as time goes on what great abilities to think and make good decisions with your own abilities...by trying to bring too much into the picture early in recovery from cult involvement...it may deter your progress...only my opinion...I found with myself to leave God out of it and to enjoy a freemind and spirit it's really helping to heal the wounds. Give yourself the credit for the good things you accomplish.

CC

• COMF
    COMF

Hey, JJ,

You said:

I have to go along with the writer who wrote this gem. Proverbs 14:1
    The senseless one has said in his heart: There is no Jehovah.

...I mean living with the consequences of going against God's laws and reaping the consequences.

I'd like you to explain why you think not believing in God equates to going against "God's laws".
    In my experience, atheist/agnostics are every bit as moral, and arguably more so, than Christians.
    How do you excuse passing this stereotyping blanket assumption off as though it were established
    fact?

COMF

Edited by - COMF on 9 July 2002 23:33:9

• Perfection Seeker
    Perfection Seeker

Well, good answers in here. Someone asked how I know it is Jehovah that blessed me. Well, I know it is God- whatever name you want to use. I have a really good life- brand new house, Mercedes, good bank account- blah blah blah. BUT, that is not from God (in my opinion) I think it is because my husband & I work hard. But, the things I know are from God- are when I pray for answers that I cannot get on my own, or when I am having trouble I can't deal with on my own, and I pray for help & guidance- and I receive it! Without prayer- I couldn't get the answers. I guess when I was a witness, I never really had a relationship with Jehovah- in fact, when I prayed- it was like there was NOONE listening. After I left- I didn't care. Recently- like less than a year ago- I started praying & TRYING to be more christian, and when I prayed & studied the bible, I "FELT" like it was answered, and "felt" like I had a relationship with God.

I don't have all the answers. I guess to me- I can't believe some big bang theory & no god. Everything- even BIRTH is too perfect for an accident.
    Some people say the bible is a crock. Well, man wrote it- so maybe it isn't perfect or mistranslated, but it is all we have. I guess I would see no point in living if I didn't believe there was a purpose, or a REASON to be good. If people all believed there was no god- then they would be able to murder, commit adultery- have no consequences. What would be the point?

I like the bumper sticker "If you live your life like there's no god- then you better be right!"

I think when people don't believe in god- its because they don't want to. I mean, they want no responsibility or higher accountability for their actions. Its the easy way out. I lived like that for 7 years- so I didn't feel a higher power- no reason NOT to experiment with sex, some pot, drinking, it just didn't matter. Then, I realized my life was zilch without God & a purpose in my life.

I don't blame people for not believing in God. There is alot of crap in this world- and people think why would God allow it?

I don't have all the answers. The original purpose of this post- was just to say I hope people give (gave) God a chance- it is SO easy to say "To hell with God & religion" after being burned by the witnesses. But, it isn't Gods fault he is misrepresented by a cult.

Someone posted "If we are like dust- what does it matter to god. Does he have a self esteem problem" We all have the freedom to serve God or not- he doesn't make us. Its called free will. Of course he would love us to serve him, but he doesn't make us.

I guess I am just going round & round here- and it is late- so might not be making sense. I tried to live for 7 years without god- and didn't like it at all. Doesn't work for me- but if it works for some people, that is their choice. I guess if I am wrong, who does it hurt? If I am right, it pays off in the end! :-) Living your life in a good christian way- even if just for your current life- it helps you lead a better life.

Where do nonchristians, and those who don't believe in god feel they are going when they die? What is the purpose of having children if it is just to live a crappy life then die? Just curious- really. My mind was closed from age 5-33- it is only recently opening up to hear other peoples views, so really, enlighten me!

Thanks!

MElissa

• beckyboop
    beckyboop

Hi Melissa,

I enjoyed your post, even though for the most part I don't agree with it. I appreciate the way you've expressed yourself, and where you are after the borg. I've gone through various stages after my leaving, and can empathize with some of your thoughts.

As far as Jehovah bashing goes (from your original post), I would hope that you've read a thorough history of who "Jehovah" or any other God is from the Bible before you come to any major conclusions. There's been excellent research done on that topic here on the forum, and there's much more info out there. From my own research, as well as what I've read on here, the characters in the bible have been drawn on and influenced by Greek mythology, as well as many other cultures that were in existence before the bible. By taking into account the complete history of the bible and it's pagan influences, you get a much more reliable and complete picture of what it is--a book written by man, with some overall good points to live by and treat others.

In answer to your questions from your last post, I think when we die we return to the "energy" of the universe around us. No eternal torment, no horrifying death at Armageddon. Would a "just and loving" god allow millions to die because they don't live in a Christianity based area? Would he allow them to die if they were born homosexuals? I'm choosing to believe that we choose our life course based on our actions (like you've chosen a new house and car based on your earning a good living). And I don't need a god telling me not to harm others--I do it because "I" don't want to cause pain or suffering to others. I am not afraid of death anymore--it's a natural part of life. I'm sad when someone dies, because I'll miss them. However, the fear is GONE!

The purpose of having children--now that's an interesting way to phrase that. It seems to me that a large portion of society doesn't CHOOSE to have kids--they have sex and that's the result. But no, it's not to live a crappy life then die. My life isn't crappy, because I've made choices to be happier. If I choose to have kids (or have them without planning), I will hopefully be able to teach them love and respect of all other people. I will do my best to make their lives happy--not crappy. And I will definitely try to teach them that THEY are in control of their life--to a certain extent. I will not fill their heads with horrid, violent stories about a god that may or may not let them live "in the future". They will be taught responsibility for their actions--not condemnation or judgement.

Christianity does not IMHO define how to live a "better life". From what I've seen and read, we're taught to hate (or condemn to death) others who don't share the same views. For me, that's not better than being a JW. I've since chosen to adopt the views from Buddhism, Taoism etc. They focus on love for ALL OTHERS, and have been a huge part of my growth into a much happier person. I am no longer filled with the fear of doing something wrong, because the bottom line is how we treat others. BTW, they also focus on responsibility for actions, not eternal torment.

One last question for you though--why does it have to be a "god" who blesses you, or answers prayers? Have you ever wondered if it's that innermost part of you that's doing the answering? That YOU, Melissa, have the abililty to find the answers you want/need in your life? If you have that ability, then why give the glory to something else? Kind of shifts the perspective doesn't it. We were told our whole life that we were NOT in control, that we were WAITING for things to be better based on God's timetable. If we don't give that power to a god, then are we capable of changing things for the better ourselves? Me thinks YES!!!

Thanks for the post,

Becky

• gumby
    gumby

Hi PS. I was at the same spot you are in for a long time. I posted threads wanting to know why SO MANY here turned from God upon exiting to dubs. After seriously considering all the threads that dealt with the believableness of the bible and it's depiction of God.......some really profound thoughts came out of it. Many questions about the bible God that I have had since a small boy were questions others were bothered by on this board.

So much dosen't make sense that I don't know what to believe at the present...but I do believe in God. Creation and the way it works was planned. However.....why we suffer, why God will not stop the cries of a little girl being raped by her father, (especially when she cries out to God for help)people starving to death daily, and all the other problems makes me wonder why he put us here only to suffer and die.(giving me the bible's answer to this is pointless....I've heard all the reasons)

Edited by - Gumby on 10 July 2002 10:9:50

• Perfection Seeker
    Perfection Seeker

Maybe for ME, I NEED to believe in God- otherwise- I would say- what is the point of living? I mean, life can be good- but if it isn't for any purpose- why suffer? Why grow old & die- why battle disease, why have children- only to bring them up in this crazy world.

Someone said- how do I know it isn't me answering my own prayers? Well, I didn't pray for 7 years, and then when I started, I started getting answers. I would try to solve something, then pray about it, and it would come to me.

Whatever the real answer is- I don't know. For me, I have to believe in God- and want to believe in God- and that works for me. For some, not believing is better. Just like when you're in the organization & have doubts or hear about "apostates" or whatever- you shut it out- or don't WANT to know or hear. I don't want to not believe in God. I need a god.

Sometimes it gets so mind boggling- the whole life, creation, evolution, heaven, hell, blah blah blah- it could send you to a mental ward!

Thanks for the posts & thanks for not being hard on me.

MElissa

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit