About privacy on the forum

by Simon 51 Replies latest jw friends

• Simon
    Simon

JanH: Yes, I know about security through ignorance and this is not it.

This is not security per-se but just one method of detecting duplicate accounts used by trouble makers. It has been extremely effective so far and is a pity that it is likely to be less so now. Will it catch everyone? No, but it is useful non-the-less.

Site security is *not* based on an ignorant user-base but it is one thing having a system that can be circumvented if someon has the knowledge and another thing providing instructions.

This is in no way a vulnerability on the site but was a useful feature I'm sure you will agree - if I remember correctly I think you may have even suggested it at one point!

Forgive me but it is not me who continually bring up the subject of Kent and his forum - I only get involved in response to things posted over there. In fact, it almost seems to be the single consistent topic of conversation there - certainly the only one that get's any number of views. If anyone is obsessed over anything I think it is the other way round.

Yes, I could prevent the site from working for people who did not accept cookies but the idea is not to be a remote fortress but rather accessible - I do not want to limit who can use the site.

You suggest I should simply 'let things go' because 'Kent has no rubber bullets, only Nukes'.

a. Why the hell should I? I have tried being reasonable in the past ... no effect
    b. That definitely sounds like a threat to me!

• JanH
    JanH

Spice,

In his first message on this thread, Simon, not I, said the following:

The forum software uses cookies to remember a users login details and can also be useful for identifying duplicate accounts.

So it was Simon, not I, and not Kent, who told the entire audience here how to circumvent his multi trap. Following the link would tell the user only one additional piece of relevant information: which menu to use to disable cookies if you used Windows XP. I think even you would be able to find the cookie settings on your IE if you dared to venture into the "options" dialog box (oops, I seem to have reveled classified information again).

Or maybe I just don't need to hide from who I am...maybe that why.

When you are ignorant, it is generally a good idea not to pretend to be an expert in the field. There are many more reasons to manage your cookies than hiding who you are on JWD. But I guess you didn't know that.

Like I said I am not trying to fight with you but if you want to attack me as a person then feel free because I am not going to stoop that far.

You already stooped extremely low indeed by implying that the only reason I knew this was because I want to hide who I am. Perhaps you have noticed I use my real name on this forum and elsewhere. I have no reason to hide behind a nickname, even. And I do use cookies when I browse this forum. For some other sites, I don't, but I fear I'd become too technical if I told you why.

I am, fyi, one of very few long-time posters here who have never even had a secondary account, and much less a secret persona.

- Jan

• LB
    LB

Simon remember what you've always told us.

Don't feed the trolls.

• JanH
    JanH

Simon,

Forgive me but it is not me who continually bring up the subject of Kent and his forum - I only get involved in response to things posted over there.

Eh, you don't see how those two sentences contradict themselves?

You are wrong. It was the only thread about your site for a very long time, and only because Milky (who does not have an account here) wondered how the hell he could get you to reopen Wholewheat's account. Norm has been very strict in stopping any attempts to start a board war; I wish you could take his example.

The posting rules on WOF explicitly prohibits even talking about this site. Try to type "JWD" into a posting and you'll see what happens. The recent flaring up is solely due to your actions.

- Jan

• SpiceItUp
    SpiceItUp
    Following the link would tell the user only one additional piece of relevant information: which menu to use to disable cookies if you used Windows XP

ok..thank you for the admittance

When you are ignorant, it is generally a good idea not to pretend to be an expert in the field. There are many more reasons to manage your cookies than hiding who you are on JWD. But I guess you didn't know that.

OK...so now..please show me where I have pretended to be and expert. In fact I called myself "possible ignorant" (which I can call myself anything I want..but you can't)

You already stooped extremely low indeed by implying that the only reason I knew this was because I want to hide who I am.

isn't it funnie how words get soo miscontrued. I was defending myself. I have NEVER suggested that you have tried to hide who you are. Show me where and I'll eat my words...but oh you can't because oh I didn't.

I have no reason to hide behind a nickname, even

Neither do I ...if that is what you are suggesting... I have my real name posted as well as my homepage which has my entire real name.

I am, fyi, one of very few long-time posters here who have never even had a secondary account, and much less a secret persona.

well let me be the first to congratulate you.....Oh wait...I think there are others here as well. Goody gumdrops for you....

I am done with this...this is not productive..you answered my question (sorta) and I will be lthe one to leave it at that!!!!

say what you want...Im OVER it!!!

Spice/Carol

• Xander
    Xander
    you and Xander are unable to understand it is undoubtedly more due to your hatred for Kent than a lack of understanding simple English

Whoah, hold on here buddy.

Carefully note how long I've been openly out of the borg (that would be my registration date).

I have nothing against Kent - I'VE NEVER EVEN HEARD ABOUT HIM before. (Well, not QUITE true, I think I read another post at one point that, in retrospect, was probably about Kent). I've certainly never visited his forums before.

Simon mentioned someone causing trouble, you posted a link. I followed the link, and, as a quite dispasionate third party, came to the conclusion this person was indeed trying to cause problems.

If he was just offering general tips on how to beef up internet security, he would have included info on disabling javascript, not giving out passwords, how to watch for spyware, etc (at the very least).

No, of ALL the potential 'internet security' topics he picked the ONLY one to discuss that is relevant to THIS board. And, since it is by far the LEAST dangerous 'security hole' (you are much, MUCH more vulnerable through Javascript or spyware), there could only be one reason he would choose to make an issue of it.

• Xander
    Xander

Incidently: Implying cookies and javascript settings are common knowledge is EXTREMELY ignorant. It IS common knowledge among IT folk, perhaps. That is NOT most computer users. No mention is made of them in the window manual. Indeed, there is NOT ONE reference to them even in the Win98 or Win2k help file (don't have XP at work, but I bet no mention is made there, either).

• JanH
    JanH

Xander,

Don't take it out of context. The cookie advice was offered in the context of allowing two people to share a PC on this forum. Kent explicitly mentions that he and Norm were accused of being the same person, possibly because he had used Norm's PC to post here when visiting him. That is what I stated, and what anyone can read on the original thread. You denied this, and now you reassert your accusation that there was some malicious intent behind it.

- Jan

• SYN
    SYN

Sigh...I just hope this doesn't mean we're going to get a flood of NYT-wannabes here

• dubla
    dubla
    you and Xander are unable to understand it is undoubtedly more due to your hatred for Kent than a lack of understanding simple English

Whoah, hold on here buddy.

Carefully note how long I've been openly out of the borg (that would be my registration date).

I have nothing against Kent - I'VE NEVER EVEN HEARD ABOUT HIM before. (Well, not QUITE true, I think I read another post at one point that, in retrospect, was probably about Kent). I've certainly never visited his forums before.

lol, jan has been awfully quick lately to lump people together in sweeping generalizations (and also slow to apologize for these ignorant mistakes). are you getting enough sleep jan?

aa

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit