About privacy on the forum

by Simon 51 Replies latest jw friends

• Simon
    Simon

I agree this should die ... anti-exJWs (JWs?) must be laughing their socks off.

Lets make sure we're the ones laughing when Panorama airs!

• moman
    moman

Simon, thanx!

I can't imagine how big a LOSER one would have to be to fuck with this board! lol

• larc
    larc

I wonder how Kent would like this technique used on his discussion board????

• Xander
    Xander

It should actually be considerably easier. I was just taking a look at the cookies stored for Kent's board and this one - Kent's *appears* to store FAR less information about the visit. Granted, I'm not registered there, and am here, but...

*smacks self*

Sorry, 'chaotic evil' speaking again.

PEOPLE SHOULD STOP FUX0RING WITH ANYONE'S MESSAGE BOARDS!!

So, there!

• ISP
    ISP

Do what you need to do, Simon.

ISP

• Wendy
    Wendy
    I agree this should die ... anti-exJWs (JWs?) must be laughing their socks off.

Lets make sure we're the ones laughing when Panorama airs!~Simon

So let it be written, so let it be so

wendy

• ISP
    ISP

I agree, Wendy!
    ISP

• NewLight2
    NewLight2

Simple solution to save memory on older computers - I simply "dump" all cookies from my browser when I finish an internet session. I also have to to keep the "javascript" turned off because I have a faulty browser that returns about a dozen "error" messages that I must first expand to full screen and then close one by one each time a new page loads or I do a re_load. I find this VERY annoying and time consuming. Also I find downloading the "pop-up adv" very slow and time consuming on my OLD low-memory computer. I have waited sometimes as long as TEN MINUTES to down-load an ADV pop-up window! I HATE JAVASCRIPT with a passion!!! NewLight2

• teejay
    teejay

Simon,

It's sad that someone would give others the keys to how to circumvent the safeguards you have in place for our enjoyment of the forum. But is it a huge surprise? All I can say is that the knowledge may bite certain ones in the ass.

Moving on....

I'm wondering how many of those who are reading this have ever, after buying and setting up their pcs, carefully read their Windows manual cover to cover. I'm not quite to NERD level, but I'm pretty studious, pretty friendly with the workings of hard- and software, and I haven't seen my Windows manual in years. Right about now, I'm wondering if I even GOT one. Point is: Characterizing the "how to" as "common knowledge" ain't all that accurate. It ain't.

I think it's a sad excuse when some say that revealing exact "how to" measures are only trying to "help," that such a person only has in mind helping to protect the identity of "married couples who use the same computer." To that I say, "bullshit." Xena and tyydyy should have put that silly argument to rest months ago. (Oops! They DID!!) My Norwegian friends' efforts, like most of theirs relative to JW.com, are a bit more nefarious and mean-spirited, I'm thinking.

[Note: I also have to wonder about another poster - particularly one that made his viewpoint of Simon and JW.com quite clear not long ago WHEN HE LEFT - pointing to the exact post where such "how to" methods are spelled out. After all, most of us reading this very thread would very likely never see that obscure post. I mean, who cares about *that* dump?]

Let's be real.

In recent history (or, said another way: "ALL OF JW.COM HISTORY") as far as I know there's only been one couple who have taken issue with Simon's safeguards against multiple persons trying to fake people out. As far as I know, they have both left for... um... greener pastures.

Once their ruse was made known and they left in a huff, I wondered: Was their identity compromised by Simon's actions? Did I all of a sudden know their real names? What city they lived in? Their street address? Where they worked? The names of their kids?

I had to admit: I don't know any more about Julie and her husband than I did before. Only that they are using the same computer. Why did they object so strenuously? A body *does* wonder.

Point is (have I said this before?), idiots are idiots. Jealous people are jealous. Men are men and children are children. And...

JW.com, since I arrived and right now, is THE best site for folks like us on the entire Internet.

I'll go one step further: it's the best site that has EVER BEEN.

Period.

Case closed.

• gravedancer
    gravedancer

Without trying to think I can mindread and know the intent of Kent's post I concur that anyone with half an ounce of savvy can find out about web privacy - just go to Google and do a search on "web privacy"....it is not rocket science or brain surgery. In fact you will then find out far more details than what Kent posted in about 3 minutes....

Sites like Yahoo force you to accept cookies and turn on Javascript if you want to use them. It is quite easy for Simon to do the same. Any web programmer knows how to do that - and Simon is a pretty sharp "cookie"...oops forgive the slip.

While there are some other obvious ways to circumvent detection or other obvious ways to detect duplicate ids, that is Simon's cross to bear. Simon, when you come back in 3 days can you please turn some more water into wine.....

GD

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit