McKinney Texas pool party?

by Marvin Shilmer 305 Replies latest social current

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer
    Those were kids... not police officers. However if you want to do this we can.

I don't see any need to "do this" and THAT was my whole point of sharing the experience, which seems go far over your head. Objectivity would have us refrain from transposing one experience atop another as though there is commonality until that commonality is objectively determined.

I don't see a police officer acting toward the bikini clad gal because she is black. Apparently you do, and it appears you do this because you're transposing one experience atop this one and without regard for the horrible conduct of the bikini clad gal. I see a police officer acting toward the bikini clad gal because of her behavior.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

@zombie dub

I admitted that in this case, the officer lost control and used excessive force. He deserves some kind of appropriate punishment.

Surely you agree that an officer does have the authority to physically restrain, using appropriate force, a non-complying citizen.

Also, you didn't answer my second question.

• paulmolark
    paulmolark

Lol. When things happen all the time to certain groups of people in a country it is sensible for people to compare past experiences with current ones... My experience across this country and from family and from friends is that police often lack respect and take liberties they should not.

happens frequently with minorities. The department of justice is aware of it. Recorded history is a testament to it.

people March because they experience it.

the police chief said this officers actions were indefensible.

This country has a history and a current story of those in power using it unfairly because they think the rules do not apply.

• zombie dub
    zombie dub
    Surely you agree that an officer does have the authority to physically restrain, using appropriate force, a non-complying citizen.

Depends on the circumstance, in this case

1) The child had done nothing that required physical force, let alone assault, body slamming and handcuffs, yea maybe for an armed robber? For this - madness

2) Depends what the non-compliance is for, if the officer is being unreasonable or telling someone to do something they have no obligation to do, then no, I don't think the office should be laying a finger on them and should get on with their job - it then becomes harassment

Sorry, I didn't see your 2nd question, I wasn't evading:

Should US citizens show respect for US authorities and comply with orders?

Again it depends what the order is, if it's reasonable and in public interest, sure, if it's an officer on a power trip - no. I say again, police are public servants, not god figures that can tell people to do whatever they feel like and expect them to do it, *just because* they are police. Police are there to serve, protect and uphold the law, not be beyond it.

Respect should be shown if it is earned, wearing a police badge does not give anyone the right to respect, their actions show if they deserve it or not. Office Rambo deserves zero respect, the man is nothing more than a thug, who happens to be wearing a uniform.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams
    Again it depends what the order is, if it's reasonable and in public interest, sure, if it's an officer on a power trip - no - this answer, similar to Laika's, says that in some situations US citizens needn't respect authority and comply with orders. So, let's reverse the situation: in some situations, US officers needn't respect US citizens. Would you go along with this?
  • Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

When things happen all the time to certain groups of people in a country it is sensible for people to compare past experiences with current ones... My experience across this country and from family and from friends is that police often lack respect and take liberties they should not.

happens frequently with minorities. The department of justice is aware of it. Recorded history is a testament to it.

people March because they experience it.

the police chief said this officers actions were indefensible.

This country has a history and a current story of those in power using it unfairly because they think the rules do not apply.

When it comes to forming objective determinations of the McKinney pool party incident, what you suggest above is dicto simpliciter.

Until a commonality can be objectively established it’s a logical error to treat a particular situation as though it’s general in nature.

For sake of time and productivity I opt to stick with objective review.

In this case I observed an officer react to a teenager because of that teenager's behavior and not because of that teenager's skin color.
  • paulmolark
    paulmolark
    Over reaction to teenager behavior because of teenager skin color... Is that possible? Yes. Probable... Welllllllll
  • LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams
    Respect should be shown if it is earned, wearing a police badge does not give anyone the right to respect, their actions show if they deserve it - so, if an officer shoots dead a dangerous, armed criminal he earns your respect?
  • paulmolark
    paulmolark

The officer said he over-reacted. The officers lawyer said the officer let his emotions get the best of him. His boss said his actions were indefensible. The teenager who filmed the event who was white said he over-reacted and that he targeted the black kids.

the police were called initially because a 40 year old white woman was fighting a 15 year old black girl nothing happened to her.

the one 18 year old arrested was released because he didn't interfere. 11 officers did their job. This one did not. It doesn't matter what his calls were before he arrived... This is part of his job.

also he pulls the gun on two kids behind him yet all the while some fat I identified guy was behind him... On his side... In front of him... Etc yet never asks him to move or pulls a gun

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

I've been asked privately about the white kid who videoed this episode not being instructed to sit down or leave.

Contemporary police training has spent considerable time addressing the growing and popular practice of common citizens (i.e., not credentialed photo journalists) videoing just about anything and everything, including policing activity. The commonness of this practice together with training has led police officers to be less concerned with people taking video. That is to say, videographers are, these days, less apt to be viewed as an interference or threat (in a melee a camera could be mistaken as a weapon). To the contrary, though someone holding an object in their hand at an incident is going to get the attention of a well-trained police officer, once an officer realizes the person is videoing he/she understands the action of that person and does not view it as a threat or as interference so long as they keep themselves from whatever fray it is they're recording and do not otherwise make movements that could raise alarm.

The kid who videoed this thing says something to the effect that to the police it was like he wasn't even there because he was not instructed to sit down or leave. Because this kid is white, to him this suggested racial bias. Though his assessment is a possibility, it is not the only one. An alternative is that the officers recognized his presence and what he was doing and that it represented no threat or interference, and possibly that he did not remotely fit any profile of subjects reportedly involved in a violent exchange. He was not roaming around getting in anyone's way. He stayed out of the way. If he wasn't viewed as causing interference then he was left to keep doing what he was doing, which was standing out of the way and filming.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit