First Impressions : Men & Women

by professor 27 Replies latest social relationships

• professor
    professor

This question is kind of related to the Male and Female Friends post:

A female friend of mine once told me that many women find it necessary to flirt with a man the first time they meet him, even if there is no real attraction. The reasoning is that a man will never pay attention to a woman unless there is a sexual interest first. I'm not sure if this idea is more anti-man or anti-woman, or if it is partially true. What do you think?

Edited by - professor on 5 July 2002 14:15:0

• IslandWoman
    IslandWoman

Professor,

What do I think?

Yes and No. For some men a woman's relevance is tied to sex, but not all men feel that way. For some women their own perception of self worth is tied to sex, but not all women feel that way.

IW

• truthseeker1
    truthseeker1

Quite the opposite:

"Yes and No. For some men a woman's relevance is tied to sex, but not all men feel that way. For some women their own perception of self worth is tied to sex, but not all women feel that way."

No and Yes, for all women a man's relevance is tied to sex, but all women don't feel that way. For all men, other peoples' perceptions of self worth isn't tied to sex, and all men feel that way.

LOL, JK

Each indivudal is different. Judging men/women before you know them is just as bad as judging "Worldlies" before you know them. :)

• Matty
    Matty
    many women find it necessary to flirt with a man the
    first time they meet him, even if there is no real
    attraction

This has put my mind at rest prof. At least I now know that they never fancied me in the first place, rather than fancying me at first and me saying or doing something that subsequently puts them off!

• professor
    professor

Exactly, Matty!

I know it is silly to stereotype men and women. I guess I am more interested in knowing if many women do this, or how widespread this idea is. I would rather think that when the ladies flirt with me it is just because I am so bad & sexy.

Edited by - professor on 5 July 2002 14:48:48

• Incense_and_Peppermints
    Incense_and_Peppermints

A female friend of mine once told me that many women find it necessary to flirt with a man the first time they meet him, even if there is no real attraction. The reasoning is that a man will never pay attention to a woman unless there is a sexual interest first. I'm not sure if this idea is more anti-man or anti-woman, or if it is partially true.

*** absoultely false. why waste your time if you're not attracted to someone? and why would you want the interest of a man who pays attention to only the sexual aspects of yourself?

• MrMoe
    MrMoe

*coughbullchitcough* Um, no, I do NOT agree with this statement, we are not cave women living in the 50's that must sell our bodies to gain the attention of males.

Moe

• professor
    professor

Of course you aren't! Neither are we so shallow and egotisitcal that we would require a sexual interest to pay attention to a woman. The idea in itself is obviously silly. I am just wondering if there are really a lot of women out there who behave this way, as my friend suggested.

• teejay
    teejay

What do I think?

I think that is a very broad question.

"Many women find it necessary to flirt with a man the first time they meet him"? Oh really? I never noticed. No doubt true many women ARE flirtatious but it doesn't say much. Not really.

Your "many women" also means "many *other* women" don't flirt when meeting a man for the first time. Should a man take that to mean that the ones that don't flirt are *really* interested? Then again, according to your friends own words, those that do flirt have no real intentions with their flirtations, so what does that mean?

With that in mind, I will ask you a question. What is a man supposed to think when a woman he meets for the first time flirts with him? (I say: Nothing)

Another question: Does a woman's flirtations have to be either anti-man *or* anti-woman? Does it have to be anti-anybody? (I say: No)

• LB
    LB
    What is a man supposed to think when a woman he meets for the first time flirts with him?

I assume that I am presented with a woman recently released from prison with extremly low standards even for a woman in her position.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit