My surreal district convention

by RunningMan 44 Replies latest jw friends

• Farkel
    Farkel

German JW,

: Sorry for my ignorance. But what is a 'hoagie'?

A hoagie is a huge delicatessen sandwich on a bun, loaded with meats and cheeses.

Farkel

• FreeFallin
    FreeFallin

Dear German JW,

A hoagie is comprised of a large, long roll , anywhere from 6" long to 12", sometimes more. It is stuffed with various meats and cheeses, sometimes lettuce, tomato and onoin, Your choice.

It's also refered to as a Sub, Grinder, Poorboy, did I miss any?

Free

• RunningMan
  • RunningMan
    RunningMan

Betweenworlds: No, we don't have food served at our assemblies. The hoagies were transported 150 miles in a cooler, then prepared on a hotel room table with a plastic knife. Ahhh, the good life of luxury.

• Nowfree
    Nowfree

Our local venue over the last few years for the district convention was in an indoor entertainment centre, which of course provided its own food (and cost a fortunue!).

So if you had picnics, you had to either eat them in the UNDERGROUND multistorey car park, or on the beach - which is fine if it isn't raining. And this is England. It always rains!

I remember ONE DAY, it wasn't raining and the book study conductor/elder was saying that it was Jehovah's blessing on the arrangement because it allowed his people to eat lunch on the beach.

In which case what the HELL did we do to upset Jehovah the other two days when it rained and we had to eat in semi-darkness in a cold car park, and trying to feed/change a 12 month old baby?

The same elder looked at me with disbelief when i told him categorically that I hate assemblies, they are a waste of time. You would think he would have got the hint that maybe I wasn't quite so enamoured of the WT society arrangements as I should have been??

What morons!

Nowfree

• Tinkerbell4125
    Tinkerbell4125

Running man, you hurt me on this on!

Too funny!

Luved it darlin!

Tink =;o)

• Farkel
    Farkel

runningman,

: Betweenworlds: No, we don't have food served at our assemblies.

Damn right. The minute local authorities discovered the WTS was making a huge profit on food at assemblies, they moved in to tax those profits. Miraculously, Jehovah stepped in and told his "Slave" that they should "simplify" the assemblies and no longer sell food. It is one of Jehovah's main duties to keep the WTS from paying any fair share of taxes on Corporate Prophets (sic), you know.

It's all Bible-Based(tm).

Farkel

• anglise
    anglise

Oh the joys of conventions.

It brings it all back.

Who remembers taking in blankets to keep warm and cushions to sit on.

What about the black bin bags to sit in when the british summer weather ran true to form and rain fell like stair rods.

Oh and off course the umbrella that dripped on the person in front and behind.

I remember once wandering during the lunch break trying to find a ladies without a queue and coming across the VIP area which was full of honoured dubs.

This was at a football stadium where most of the seating was open to the elements despite having a roof over.The disabled area was at one end of the pitch and they had rigged up some sort of clear plastic sheeting to protect those sitting there from the sun?/rain.

But this VIP area was a large room with carpet,comfortable seats and coffee tables and its owns toilets. There was a fully glazed wall overlooking the pitch Those sitting there were not the elderly or the disabled just those with the right contacts.

Wicked person that I was/am I even used their toilet facilites despite some funny looks as I walked through the room.

Funny how these things stay with you and help build a true picture of "JW''s The organization behind the name"

Anglise

• The_Bad_Seed
    The_Bad_Seed

Farkel, you should add that to the aposates glossary of JW terms...I liked it

I heard the phrase Jehomo tossed around the other day, laughed my ass off

• Room 215
    Room 215

Anglise.... blankets (!??!!).... it's obvious you've never been to Sweateren's Stadium in good ol' Philly; or to Giants' Stadium in the Hackensack Swamp... er.. Meadowlands!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit