Schoolyard bully mentality

by FusionTheism 141 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• paulmolark
    paulmolark

"I do think they say things that they wouldn't say if they were face to face with you, and they can be belittling and argumentative."

Atheist here as well but I think LISAROSE makes an excellent point. The theist threads make me chuckle however I do remember a time when I was one as well. It hurt to start coming to grips with the fact that I had been wrong for a large part of my life. I was hoping that people here would understand. Instead the ridicule was pretty steep, not towards me but towards a lot of others.

There are also some here who have devoted a long time to evolutionary and biological studies and it becomes apparent that they try to use there knowledge not as tool to help someone come to a conclusion but more like a weapon. Not all but some. They usually start off nice then descend into brow-beatery (my word). I have done so as well.

The problem is the word choice that they use are words that they would NEVER say to a persons face. EVER because they know what the end result would be. However, that is the nature of the internet and truthfully, I don't really mind it so much because people need an outlet.

• DJS
    DJS

Yes, that schoolyard bullying mentality makes me want to vomit too:

June 10, 2015: Christian Evangelist Franklin Graham has sparked an angry Facebook debate about gay rights when he announced he is pulling all of his organization's millions out of Wells Fargo accounts in response to the bank's recent ad campaign featuring a lesbian couple.

"Have you ever asked yourself--how can we fight the tide of moral decay that is being crammed down our throats by big business, the media, and the gay & lesbian community?" Graham wrote in a Facebook post on June 5. "At the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association, we are moving our accounts from Wells Fargo to another bank."

Apparently Mr. Graham is A-OK with lesbians and gays being treated as second or third class citizens; after all, his death god that he loves so much is going to destroy these people. Moral decay? Graham has the morals of a monster - his god and his god's son. Crammed down throats? Really? 99.9999999999999999% of every ad ever made includes heteros. Not lesbians or gays.

• FusionTheism
    FusionTheism

Bonsai,

How is that attitude any different from the one where JW elders force victims to confront their abusers?

Do you also excuse, justify, and agree with bullies at school who pick on nerds?

This attitude is very, very prominent on this website.

Why should I interact or speak to abusive people on here or anywhere else?

• FusionTheism
    FusionTheism
    I just hope all the lurkers can use this thread to identify the bullies and then know whom to interact with and whom NOT to interact with on this website.
  • FusionTheism
    FusionTheism

In addition, why do atheists (9% of the population, maybe) think they have a monopoly on truth, or that they are so superior to the other 91% of people?

I'll just say again, that almost all the major positive world-changing events in history have been done by theists.

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus

"How is that attitude any different from the one where JW elders force victims to confront their abusers?"

wow... So you start a thread on a discussion forum and when not everyone agrees with your premise its like elders making abused children face their abusers....

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

FT: I'll just say again, that almost all the major positive world-changing events in history have been done by theists.

Can you provide evidence of this claim?

Here is some of the best work of theists:

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

... and some more ....

• Oubliette
  • Oubliette

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit