Does anyone grow their own herbs?

by scootergirl 43 Replies latest jw friends

• ballistic
    ballistic

yes, Indoors, I don't have much garden, anyway it seems they like to be cared for like tomatoes up to 30C.

• Mulan
    Mulan

I use mine, unless I have a huge crop of basil and then I make pesto to preserve it. Mint lasts in the garden all year, as does Rosemary in the Pacific Northwest. Rosemary is a great shrub. You can use the branches as a brush to brush sauce on meat on the barby. I don't think you can kill it either..........unbelievably hearty.

Sorry I'm not much help on preserving. Fresh is fresh. Dried is less than desirable to me. Freezing usually ruins leafy plants so I haven't tried it, but I suppose it's possible.

• seedy3
    seedy3

scootergirl,

The basil was the only one I started from seed. The cuban Oregano, I had a friend that had a plant and he gave me a few clippings, it is a very hearty plant, and actually has no resemblence to actual oregano, but the flavor is simular to the oreganos.

I think however you can start basil from a cutting as I have seen when it lays on the ground it will start to root where it is touching the ground. I am not sure how well it will produce by cloning though.

Seedy

• scootergirl
    scootergirl

Thanks seedy......interesting.

Mulan.......I want to make pesto this year. How do you preserve it? Regular canning? Would you share the recipe w/me.......purty please?!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit