Does anyone grow their own herbs?

by scootergirl 43 Replies latest jw friends

• Englishman
    Englishman

Scootergirl,

We grow lots of herbs. This year we have tried sorrel and rocket, it's brill with salad.

Englishman.

• Celia
    Celia

HERBS

I grow parsley (can't cook without parsley), chervil, tarragon (great in a green salad with vinaigrette), basil (so good in marinata sauce with shrimps), thyme, winter savory, chive, dill --- lemon balm, hyssop, borage, chamomille, pineapple-mint (all for teas) catnip and others which names escape me right now. I love just walking through the garden and smell them, it's wonderful.

Edited by - Celia on 22 June 2002 16:19:54

• scootergirl
    scootergirl

I wanted to share w/you this great summertime recipe.

Minty Melon Salad

1 cup of water

3/4 cup sugar

3 T. fresh lime juice

1-1/2 t. fresh mint, chopped

5 cups of watermelon, cubed

3 cups of cantalope, cubed

3 cups honeydew, cubed

2 cups nectarine, sliced

1 cup fresh blueberries

Combine water, sugar, lime juice and mint leaves in a saucepan. Bring to a boil. Stirring constantly, boil mixture for 2 minutes. Remove from heat, cover and cool completely. In a large bowl, combine fruit. Poor cooled syrup over fruit-stir until well blended. Cover and chill at least 2 hours. Stir occasionally to blend flavors. Drain liquid before serving. Gardnish w/fresh mint springs.

• scootergirl
    scootergirl

I found this information that I thought was great.

Basil: A wonderful patio bug repellent

Borage: Helps repel tomato worms. Bees love it-every garden needs a bunch of bees since they are nature's natural pollinators

Chives: Chase aphids from carrots and tomatoes

Dill: Plant near cabbage for growth and great taste, but keep it far away from carrots and tomatoes

Garlic: Repels Japanese Beetles and Aphids. Lettuce and parsnips benefit from being planted near a friendly garlic plant

Mint: Will send white cabbage moths flying, so plant near cabbages and tomatoes. Mint will take over a garden plot, though, if you do not keep in contained-not very neighborly

Oregano: and beans go hand-in-hand. Bees and butterflies love oregano.

Parsley: Plant near corn, tomatoes, and asparagus for good flavor and growth. Asparagus beetles run away from parsley.

Rosemary: is a good friend to carrots, cabbage and beans as it drives away all kinds of dreaded beetles and bugs

Sage: says "see ya later" to carrot flies and cabbage moths. Cucumbers and sage do not get along.

Summer Savory: Is excellent paired w/beans in the garden.

Thyme: Beloved by bees and butterflies. Thyme stimulates growth in a garden.

• Windchaser
    Windchaser

Hi, Scooter, your recipe sounds good, with one exception...it's lacking my favorite fruit. Wonder if it would be good with a sliced banana?

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

OK... looks legit. When I saw the thread, I wasn't sure if you were talking about Herbs, or "The herb".

• scootergirl
    scootergirl

Windchaser.......I am not sure. Bananas would be good in it as long as they didn't brown. But then, I am sure that is where the lime juice comes in.

LOL, elsewhere!

• Francois
    Francois

I am, or used to be, a past master at growing herbs - or herb - as the case may be. It's amazing what you can do with so little equipment. And this was legit herb too, for cooking, like: brownies, macroons, fudge. You know. But basil, oregano, cilantro, stuff like that. Sorry

Francois

• terafera
    terafera

Being that I am an apartment dweller, I dont get to grow much..but I do have a nice rosemary plant growing by my couch. It is pretty big...getting bigger everyday!! I read it can get to over 5 feet. Can I just pick some off and throw it in my food? I was wondering if I have to dry it upside down or something...

I eat alot of veggies and fruit so I cant wait until I buy my own house, I really want a garden! I spend hundreds a month on fresh produce.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Tera,

A woman after my heart! The cube dwellers at work look at me funny because of the fresh fruit I keep at my desk.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit