Does anyone grow their own herbs?

by scootergirl 43 Replies latest jw friends

• scootergirl
    scootergirl

I am looking for some help regarding harvesting herbs (YES......REAL herbs!).

I know w/basil, it must be blanched for 1-2 seconds and then dried before it can be frozen. Oregano, I believe has to be dried. But I was reading that some herbs are find frozen...like sage, thyme,mint......

Has anyone ever frozen herbs? I am new to this and know that I am going to learn by mistakes, but I have such a nice bunch of herbs I hate to let them go to waste.

Anyone have any helpful hints, tips for me?

• Princess
    Princess

Sorry I don't have any advice other than to check with Martha. Her website is usually pretty helpful. It's a good thing.

I like to take some of my fresh herbs and put them in a food processor with butter. It can be frozen or keeps in the fridge for a long time. Good on bread or vegetables! YUM

Rachel

• invisible
  • scootergirl
    scootergirl

MMM........never thought of the butter and herbs.........betcha that would be good!

I am planning on canning a bunch of spaghetti sauce this year and have a great "crop" of sweet basil and oregano. Those two herbs I have found the information that I need. But I also have thyme, lemon thyme, sage, rosemary, marjoram, mint, and lemon balm that I need to pick soon.

I have a ton of books on the subject, and do you think I can find out EXACTLY what I am looking for.......NO!

Thanks for the help, Princess.......gonna go and knock on Martha's cyber door and see what I can find out.

• scootergirl
    scootergirl

Thanks invisible.....will take a look at the site.

• hannibal
    hannibal

when your done going them,can I buy some from you?

Hanni-

• scootergirl
    scootergirl

Serious, Hannibal? Whatcha looking for?

I have been having so much fun learning about herbs.....medicinal purposes, culinary, preserving. I have really done a lot of research and have learned quite a bit.

Edited by - scootergirl on 22 June 2002 13:7:42

• hannibal
    hannibal

I'm looking for top top quality herbs, for medical reasons of course.

-hanni

• mustang
    mustang

I have PERENNIAL Basil and Pineapple Sage growing right now. I had Catnip, Peppermint, Spearmint & Catmint?? going for a while. I went over to the perennials, because it's a pain in the neck to plant annuals every year.

I have made Mint Jelly in the past, but mostly I use these for "real time" fresh seasoning. For that purpose, the Lemon tree also comes in handy. It goes year round w/ usually 200+ lemons per crop.

BTW, watch out for the Sage plants. They have a reputation for getting HUGE. I concur, from experience.

I also grow Nasturtiums; while they are a flower, the leaves have a spicy, tangy pepper taste. They are really good in a salad.

Mustang

• scootergirl
    scootergirl

WOW.....Mustang! Wish you lived closer so you could be my herb partner!

I have an indoor herb garden....my kitchen/dinningroom is full. My main purpose is for the home made spaghetti sauce I want to cann, so my oregano and basil are the most important right now.

I had no idea that sage can get so large. I have been reading that mint can also be invasive......so be careful when planting outdoors.

The reason I have an indoor herb garden is if it was outside I am afraid it would be neglected. We have a large vegetable garden that takes up a lot of time outside. At least w/my herbs, I can't ignore them when I see them all the time.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit