Fire Walls and Sueing the Society

by voltaire 13 Replies latest jw friends

• abbagail
    abbagail

I appreciate this thread. It is intriguing to me to be able to hear what "wise" men who were/are elders have to say on these weighty matters. This is very heavy stuff. And I remember just very slight references to this "separation of org & congs" way back, but it was not something widely discussed among the R&F, so I never really grasped the significance of what was REALLY going on.

How about the video (on Dateline) of Bill Bowen recording the Service Dept. telling him to "leave it alone" (or similar wording). Can evidence like that not be used? (or was he recording the conversation w/o their knowledge at the time...?)

To change the "tone" a little.... I had to smile at some of the comments:

BluesBrother wrote:

I wish I still had the Shepherding Book in which I wrote it, but of course they took it back off me.

That comment reminded me of Police & FBI TV dramas where the offending officer is asked to turn in his badge and gun... :-)

And, Sam Beli wrote:

"...the brain drain" is likely to continue and as the "teachers" in the congregations become increasingly dull and dim witted the brighter "publishers" may become increasingly irritated and impatient with the leadership... Where these irritated publishers, usually women, go is uncertain..."

Crack me up, Sam. This "brain drain" you speak of was readily evident to me over 20+ years ago when I moved back to the South after first learning the truth out West, where the "IQ and finesse" of that cong seemed so much more elevated. I couldn't believe the "backward & small-minded" atmosphere at the new KH where I relocated. Ugh! It was terrible. Talk about dull and dim-witted! After my first few meetings there, I swore there was no way I could cope with this, and would just have to relocate AGAIN to a more "educated" atmosphere where the speakers could actually speak, and knew how to read utilizing the punctuation and grammar as printed in the literature. The reading of the WT and the book studies by these brothers was pure torture to sit through. Talk about being irritated and impatient with the leadership! That described me for sure. But alas, I determined it was ME who was at fault, overly critical, and needed to learn patience, kindness, understanding, etc. and I did learn that not everybody got to go to Catholic School when they were kids and learn their phonics!... ;)

That cong was sooooo "in a slump", though, for quite a long time, that there was "talk" that the "holy spirit had left the cong," etc. Eventually, a "NY family" moved in, and, thankfully, that brother knew his ABC's and how to give a public talk, and later they moved a pioneer couple in from a nearby cong, the brother having been at Bethel, etc., and they were both great people who also knew their ABC's, punctuation, and he was a good teacher and speaker....Whew! so things eventually picked up and became a little more lively, and much more "bearable" for "irritated publishers, usually women..." (as Sam wrote, crack me up, btw, since I was exactly such an "irritated woman (ex) publisher...") ;)

Pardon the walk down "memory lane" but the similarities of what you guys/girls write is amazing...

Kind regards/GRITS

PS: Isn't the name Sam Beli similar to some famous attorney? Who is it I am thinking of??? Melvin, Marvin???? Talk about brain-drain...

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

VERY good thread! (Except that it made me angry!)

"warm Christian love"----my A$$!

Hugs,

Annie---who hates the WTS more and more each day

• Reborn2002
    Reborn2002

LDH:

If even 10 elders resign because they saw those scans, it's worth it.

Correction:

If even ONE elder has the COURAGE and CONVICTION to RESIGN after seeing those scans, it is WORTH IT.

If even ONE individual is SPARED another WASTED DAY in the grasp of the CULT known as Jehovah's Witnesses, it is WELL WORTH THE EFFORT.

Edited by - Reborn2002 on 22 June 2002 1:4:4

• Sam Beli
    Sam Beli

Hello Grits,

There are considerable regional differences throughout the United States. The JWs like to think that they are very different and separate from the world, but the truth is that many of the things of the world are also the things of the JW community.

In certain areas many JWs are closer to or actually are professionally trained and educated. They bring this education to the KH. In many other areas, however, those attracted to the JWs are the more "humble" residents of the community. They many be nice folks, but by humble in this context I am referring to their lack of formal education. Their speech and reading skills are usually in keeping with their education and the environment in which they grew up.

Unfortunately, in some of the less well educated congregations, importing better educated JWs has not worked well (my experience in this area goes back many years and could be different today). The "old timers" sometimes have been jealous of the "imports" and have attempted to drive them away. Yes, even in the JW communities there are petty jealousies and resistance to change, even though the changes might be for the better and/or are directed by Brooklyn.

So much for separate and better than the world.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit