Fire Walls and Sueing the Society

by voltaire 13 Replies latest jw friends

• voltaire
    voltaire

A few thoughts about the society's efforts to protect itself from litigation.

I attended the elder's seminar a few years back where we were instructed to write in our elder's manual a few extra instructions pertaining to filling out the society's disfellowshipping forms and other aspects related to judicial cases. That was nothing terribly unusual. We often wrote in clarifications and updates during meetings with the CO. This time was a little different because we filled an entire page with seven(I think) specific instructions. I don't have my elder's manual with me (I DO still have it) but the gist was "don't write anything on any form that might suggest that the society had anything to do with the decision reached by the local body". This made me feel rather uncomfortable. Anyone who's ever been an elder knows that the society often directs a judicial committee to take a certain course of action. Usually the local body is just a sort of rubber stamp for the society. Taking action that isn't specifically mentioned in a publication without consulting the society could get you in some real hot water. Of course, this didn't bother me, since I thought that was a sign that we were really directed by God through his organization. But I was uncomfortable with the additional instructions because the society was clearly making it harder for anyone to hold them responsible for their actions.

Around that same time our CO told us about a sister who was asked to leave an apartment complex. She left, but snuck back in a few minutes later. That was, of course, the sort of thing that WE always used to do. It was great fun really! Anyway, the CO said she was arrested for trespassing. Of course, she called the society for help. Aparently she was told, 'look in the yellow pages under lawyers'. Of course, that sent chills up my spine. I remember thinking how callous that seemed, even though I was still a loyal dub.

The society has clearly been pursueing a strategy of protecting itself at the expense of the individuals for some time. That makes legal sense. Disgruntled former members would like to get at the society, not just a local brother. If money is a factor, going after a judicial committee isn't going to get you very far. And many brothers would consider it their duty to take a fall for the society. They would most likely see it as persecution from Satan's big, bad system.

I would suggest, however, that many brothers would be turned off by the society's startegy if it affected them personally. I felt very uncomfortable as an elder just knowing that the society was positioning itself to avoid taking responsibility. I think that if I had been left out to dry over some judicial matter, I would have probably jumped ship in a second and cooperated with whoever was trying to get the society. Of course, it would have depended on when it was done. Early on, I would have been more inclined to stick with the society and personally absorb the loss. Later, as I grew more skeptical, I would have felt a real conflict.

My point ( yes, there is one) is that those who are trying to create change within the society, or destroy the society (as I know may here would like to) should do everything they can to hold local bodies of elders responsible for their actions. The society will probably escape legally, but as more and more elders face lawsuits and/or criminal charges, the society would be faced with a real dilemma:defend its loyal foot soldiers and risk being dragged into the fracas or risk losing the loyal support of the men who run the congregations.

So, while it might seem frustrating that the society seems to be successfully walling itself off from the local bodies, I see that as a potential problem of even greater scope. No, the society won't get burned legally, but those same fire walls that protect could eventually become a yawning chasm that separates the affection and support of the congregations from the society.

• writerpen
    writerpen

I agree with you. Prior to leaving the borg, for a number of years how often did I hear and read that there was a great need for men to reach out for position. It also seemed that more were being promoted to elders that seems to lack the qualities that came with eldership. If the society loses elders, the society loses.

• Xander
    Xander

So, what, instead of attacking the enemy directly, build them an army of martyrs?

Does this not seem more than a little counterproductive?

I mean, yeah, an elder being left out to dry by the society will probably not rule on any major decision again, but, OTOH, he may just be removed as an elder. Do you really think the rest of the local (and other congregation) elders will be all, like, "Wow, the org really diverted blame onto that poor fellow"?

NO, of course not. If he's booted, his decision was wrong. If he wasn't booted, but goes bankrupt from lawsuits, it's Satan persecuting him. If he wasn't booted, and actually wins a lawsuit, HURRAY FOR GOD!!!

Blahblahblah. The only way to make headway is to find ways to get the society involved. Attacking the local elders is counterproductive.

• Room 215
    Room 215

Voltaire,

To the Society, loyalty is a one-way street that dead-ends at Brooklyn. Years ago, in the forties and fifties, or before the litigious 80s and 90s where everyone sued everyone else, a JW had a reasonable assurance that Bill Jackson and the boys in Legal would support them. No more. Now we're told `` Never, NEVER present yourself as a representative of the WTBTS (that was what the speakers were called yeas ago on the public talk handbills).'' And to the judicial committees, the advice is: ``No matter how forcefully we pull the strings in the background, never NEVER say it was the Society that disfellowshipped anyone; it's always the local congregation.''

This latter case is yet another example of WT duplicity: putting on a front that local congregations are autonomous when every insider knows differently. And, with a spoonful of sugar -- how do they sign those form letters? ``Warm Christian Greetings"?-- the naive local dubbies swallow it whole.

• Sam Beli
    Sam Beli

Hello Voltaire, how are you?

There is no way of knowing how many elders and potential elders are developing skepticism about the WTS. But, chances are that many are, especially among the more intelligent ones. If nothing else, the brain drain" is likely to continue and as the "teachers" in the congregations become increasingly dull and dim witted the brighter "publishers" may become increasingly irritated and impatient with the leadership

Where these irritated publishers, usually women, go is uncertain, but as more and more obtain a computer and look around You know as well as I do that among of the first words they will put into a search engine is "Jehovahs Witnesses." And you know the story from there.

I recently communicated with an old friend and learned to my amazement that his wife and another "sister" have been online for several years now. These are ladies in their 70s! I am surprised and pleased to learn that many older ones are taking the big step.

One by one the WTS' foundation may be crumbling.

Sam

• crawdad2
    crawdad2

the gov body has already put in writing that the elders involved in a pedophile case should contact them for "advice".......... i suppose in court they will have to lie about what advice they actually gave.......... i can hear them now;........ "no,... we never instructed the elders to silence the molestaion victim"......."we never advised the elders to remind the molestaion victim that 2 witnesses are required, or they will be reproved for slander".........

• Siddhashunyata
    Siddhashunyata

Voltaire, your vision is accurate. The WTBTS faces a dilemma and the myth about their protecting the congregations is about to be exposed. More than anything else this will bring about major changes in their expansionist ambitions. Once the Elders suffer disillusionment, it remains to be seen as to what theWTBS will do to win back their support.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I also remember a large elders gathering at which we were given a list of things never to write on a disfellowship form

I wish I still had the Shepherding Book in which I wrote it, but of course they took it back off me.

• AMNESIAN
    AMNESIAN

Voltaire,

I should think the perfect test case(s) for what you suspect would be litigation on the parts of the Pandelos---already disfellowshipped--- and/or Barb Anderson, Bill Bowen---presumably soon to be ousted--- against their respective JCs. Inasmuch as spokesmen for the WTS have stated on the record that the judicial actions being taken against them were initiated solely by the respective local congregation's elders---thereby already spinning its own escape route---each of those elders being used in this plot needs to be thinking long and hard about the decisions to which he is affixing his signature and what he is willing to sacrifice for his masters.

Causes me my own suspicion that, aside from some amount of decency they may individually possess, those elders who sat on the first JC that tried Anderson may have had enough brain cells firing to cause them to recognize the wisdom of distancing themselves personally from a very dicey undertaking, frought with legal implications for themselves and their families. Will be interesting to see if the Society's newly-designated committee allows itself to be dupes of corporate who will eventually be hung out to dry by it.

Should be interesting.

AMNESIAN

• LDH
    LDH

Voltaire,

This is the exact reason I posted scans of the liability policy worldly churches have, including protection for their clergy.

I was hoping that some elders that are lurking would see that the WBTS has offered them NO protection. So when they are sued, they will be personally sued and the WBTS will not back them up.

PITIFUL.

If even 10 elders resign because they say those scans, it's worth it.

Lisa

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit