I Just Can't Do It!

by Sentinel 11 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Sentinel
    Sentinel

I was rather surprised to see this Subject in the Forum, and so it peeked my curiousity.

When I was floundering in the borg, I really slowed down to a snails pace as far as reading any of the WT literature.

When I decided to walk away, (at the time with guilt and self doubt), I got rid of all the literature. I had not renewed my WT subscribtion, and was not getting any other literature in the mail. So, there was nothing coming in. I remember thinking that I could not in all honesty even give all my great library of books and Bibles to Good Will or Salvation Army. So I took it all to the dump--all except one Bible my dad had given me.

Strange now, when I think back. I just knew in my heart that it was "all so wrong" and that I didn't want to have even the remotest influence on another person as far as them coming into contact with JW's. So, I had to trash the literature. There was just no other choice for me.

It has never once occured to me to ever read any of that garbage again. Especially now, since the guilt is gone, and has been replaced with enlightenment. Even the "oh so subtle Awake" is out of bounds.

I realize that some of you are still having to "attend meetings" and "play the game", but as for me, I just can't do it.

"The Truth Is Out There".......but it doesn't come from the borg.

Karen/Sentinel

I have not read any of the WT literature in some twenty years, and I don't plan to.

• Nikita
    Nikita

It's funny, I don't even remember what I did with my literature!

Ok, great, now I will be up pondering it-thanks Karen!

Nikita

• Grout
    Grout

I have quite a bit in storage. But I think I'll burn it.

It's a closure thing.

• Perfection Seeker
    Perfection Seeker

I'm with you Sentinel- I just recently gave my mother a HUGE box of her books back. The ONLY thing I kept was a bible my dad gave me- and signed- then two weeks before he died- I showed up at a meeting- he took my bible- wrote LOVE YA & signed & dated it. Of course I will treasure that- because of his writing in it-but not for the translation, or anything else about it! Speaking of literature- does anyone know if there was something between 1995-1997 in PRINT that said the end would DEFINETLY come before the new millineum? I seem to recall when I was disfellowshipped my mom emailed me that there was an article coming out with that written in it- and my brother had inside info from someone in bethel- or some crap like that. I asked her about it the other day- she said the society has NEVER put in print a time or date of the end, or when it would or would not come- over zealous witnesses might-but not the society. (YEAH RIGHT!) Would love to find out though if it was in print- sometime in the late 90's.

• LB
    LB

Recently someone left a watchtower and awake on my doorstep. I thought it would be fun to look through it to see what they are pushing these days. I just couldn't bring myself to read more than a couple of paragraphs. It was exactly the same stuff as when I left.

Exactly as boring too.

• Gopher
    Gopher

PERFECTION SEEKER:

Here is your answer. A statement to that effect appeared in the January 1, 1989 Watchtower -- original printing. Oh no -- not in the version on the CD-ROM, they wouldn't want to look like they had somehow misjudged the timing of the end once again!!

Here is the thread with the quote and further comments: http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/forum/thread.asp?id=340&site=3

Gopher

• Mackin
    Mackin

About a year ago I went through a kind of "cleansing" that involved removing every trace of dub-dom from my life. I took all my old WT literature, bibles and all, to the dump (and I had a substantial library) as well as got rid of all the little things, old lapel badges, assembly programs you name it. You will not find any vestige of my former life as a 'dub' in my house.

Recently my sister-in-law gave me a Watchtower magazine which I politely accepted so as not to hurt her feelings (she was REALLY nervous about giving it to me) but after she left I used it to light the fire.

Now I feel free from the borg.

• signgirl
    signgirl

My dad was visiting me from Holland recently, he is full on, 76 years old , felt so proud of himself on how many awake magazines he had "placed" on the plane over, I asked him "where did you place them dad? In the seat pocket in front of you? I think he is learning not to talk Jdub talk in front of me, as I dont hold back anymore to him and while he was here he left a family book in my bookshelf, with a little message in it for me and my fiance, it said "you may think you dont need this now, but one day you will". They get off so much on their literature, its very sad really, why cant they just get by with the bible. After he had left, I had a moment of anger from something that had happened at a recent JW funeral, I went home and threw the books he'd put in my shelf, along with my insight on the scriptures and a couple of other publications i had "faithfully" hung on to, turfed them in the bin, except for a bible I have had for years. At that moment I had finally told myself that I would never set foot into a Kingdom Hall ever again. Anyway at the airport seeing him off I told him I loved him and he said "do YOU?" I said of course I do, but just stop preaching to me. That was the last thing I said.

take care all

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

My dad was visiting me from Holland recently, he is full on, 76 years old , felt so proud of himself on how many awake magazines he had "placed" on the plane over

The number of "full on" ones is declining in Holland, I believe. Where's he from? Maybe the rural areas are still "untainted" with Apostate teachings.

BTW a hearty welcome aboard to a fellow Aussie,........ well OK, an honorary aussie!!!!

Cheers, Ozzie

Edited by - ozziepost on 29 June 2002 10:55:27

• Sentinel
    Sentinel

Thanks for your replies everyone. Sorry I haven't thanked you before now. Your responses were interesting and very much appreciated.

LB, I had a similar experience, where I came home and found a mag stuck in the door. Out of curiousity, I flipped through it, and it was like instantly going back in time about thirty years! That was about five years ago. Since then, I haven't seen mags left in doors, at least not mine.

How can they possibly still say that the "light" is getting brighter

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit