Demon Stories

by humblepotato 50 Replies latest jw friends

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

sir82 - "Explicit & detailed references to 'demon attacks'', which used to be a staple of Watchtower writing in the 60's and 70's..."

Well, duh, it was the 60s and 70s.

Everybody was tripping balls.

• smiddy
    smiddy

When I was becoming a Jehovah Witness beginning 1960 , I was a 20 year old convert , I sincerely believed then I had a Demon experience .

Do I believe it now ? No.

Their are probably a multitude of plausible explanations now as to what I was going through.

Is their a spirituality in the universe ? hell I don`t know , I would not deny it ,being quite possible I suppose.

One thing I am sure of is that no religious institute here on earth has a God backing it , religious books of no matter what faith on earth are products of humans , not any God.

Their is so much we do not no about the universe maybe their is a higher intelligence out their , however it is not encoded in any scripture Christian ,Muslim ,Hindu ,or any other branch of religion .

smiddy

• Splash
    Splash
    Vidiot "Wouldn't it be more effective to leave the guy alone after he'd gone into the wrong church?"

Maybe that's exactly what they did.

• adjusted knowledge
    adjusted knowledge

To the OP: I've heard of similar if not exact stories as you posted. I'm not a psychologist, but I'm sure having a deep faith that demons exist could influence a person's paranoia. I had a thread about book burning and other burning of materials because of the fear of demon possession. I was at homes where people swear demonic events happened. I was there as an 8 year old and saw the exact same events and thought how crazy these adults are, because I never saw any demons nor any indication of demons. It was all in their head.

Personal testimony doesn't equal proof of demons.

• truthseeker100
    truthseeker100
    When I heard the many demon stories when I was a child about objects flying around, things moving on their own, and so on. I remember thinking if we could only get these demons to turn a generator we would have a inexhaustible free energy supply. Sadly though there just was no free lunch to be had. LOL.
  • Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

i had a reason to look up Doctor Faustus on Wikipedia and it had this to say i found it interesting.

The powerful effect of the early productions is indicated by the legends that quickly accrued around them. In Histriomastix, his 1632 polemic against the drama, William Prynne records the tale that actual devils once appeared on the stage during a performance of Faustus, "to the great amazement of both the actors and spectators". Some people were allegedly driven mad, "distracted with that fearful sight". John Aubrey recorded a related legend, that Edward Alleyn, lead actor of The Admiral's Men, devoted his later years to charitable endeavours, like the founding of Dulwich College, in direct response to this incident.[3]
  • Vidiot
    Vidiot

Splash - "Maybe that's exactly what they did."

I'm sure that "possibility" was part of the reason some JWs were disturbed by my deconstruction of that particular story.

• aintenoughwiskey
    aintenoughwiskey
    I have one, not a personal experience though. This was a witness family living in a rented home. Dining room chairs dancing, pictures swinging on the wall, as well as something crawling into the bed of the lady of the house. The story was confirmed by several members of the family. Not flakey people, not liars, I know these people well, if they said it happened, I believe it. I've read and heard other stories about night paralysis, around here it's called the "old hag" feeling pressure on your chest, and inability to move. That could be a anything!
  • Vidiot
    Vidiot
    Not to mention that night paralysis often manifests with hallucinations of scary-ass "demonic" apparitions alongside intense feelings of dread.
  • TD
    TD

---Stumbled across the quote I was looking for. (i.e. The screaming ring) This is from the June 8, 1970 Awake! on page 7.

"Recently a young couple who had been subject to harassment by demons began studying the Bible with Jehovah’s witnesses. The lady of the home was accustomed to hearing noises and seeing figures in the house. When the Bible study would begin, a small bell would be heard ringing. Then the sound would grow louder and louder until it was impossible to study. Since the family had a history of association with spiritism, it was suggested that a search be made for objects through which the demons might gain entrance to the home. Even though this was done, the harassment continued.

Then one day the husband noticed that his wife had a chain around her neck to which was attached a wedding ring that had belonged to her grandmother, who had been a spiritist. So they got into their car and drove down to the water’s edge, and soon out over the water sailed the ring. What a surprise they both had at that moment! For as the ring left the thrower’s hand a voice was heard crying, “Ah . . . aah . . . a-a-a-h” until finally the ring hit the water and there was silence.

Now there is peace in the home of this couple. They can study the Bible and attend Christian meetings, and all is tranquil. This illustrates that when such difficulties are being experienced, it is important to get rid of everything that has anything to do with spiritism."

This wasn't presented for readers to take with a grain of salt. (That's fairly rare in JW writings.) It was presented as a factual account to be believed.

Stories like this were once very common at JW gatherings and it seemed like almost everybody had a brush with the supernatural to share.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit