Demon Stories

by humblepotato 50 Replies latest jw friends

• humblepotato
    humblepotato

So we all know that "crazy" brother or sister. Every Kingdom Hall has one. They give the best comments (from a hilarious perspective), have experiences with the "demons", but most importantly, they are on about 10 deifferent kinds of medications. Well it's pretty easy to dismiss their stories about their personal experiences with "the spirit realm". And with the "crazies", those stories are a dime a dozen.

But I got to thinking, there are SOME stories involving the demons, that are not from schizophrenic loopies. In fact, in my circuit there are two well known stories. Being ambiguous as possible:

One involved an elder (sub-CO), a smart man, and his wife. They were not drooling WT drones as most witnesses are. They own their own business and have a nice home a cars. But after inheriting a mounted deer head, they awoke that night to some banging in the house. When the elder came to the hallway to investigate, (ball bat in hand) the mounted head was floating and started to chase him. Slamming the bedroom door shut, he got his wife out of the house, went back in, and yelled scriptures at it until in fell limp on the ground. He took it outside and burned it. Even now, they refuse to talk about, or be involved in, anything remotely associated with demonism.They would have no reason to make up a story. So what was it?

Another story involved 4 of the 10 members of the BOE in the Hall I grew up in. While helping a young man to leave his worldly (and honestly, weird) lifestyle behind, 4 elders met with him in the Library of the Kingdom Hall. During the meeting however, the young man was flung into the walls (damaging them) and into the book shelves containing the Bound Volumes (knocking them down). One elder pissed his pants (and he admits to it this day), another ran OUT of the Hall, and the other two just tried saying Jehovah's name and speaking scriptures. It didn't work, and for 6 or 7 minutes the young man was beat up. The paramedics had to be called. He spent 9 weeks in ICU, but never suffered another "demon attack" again. He is now CONVINCED this is the truth. Also, we had to use the local building fund to repair the damaged walls and buy new bookshelves. And every meeting afterward seemed to have a local needs about the dangers of spiritism. I remember the CO and DO making quite a few trips to our hall after that experience. Eventually someone from the branch had to be sent to calm down the congregation. (Brother Geoffrey Jackson BEFORE he served as a member of the GB.)

As you may know, I'm leaning toward atheism. But stories like this make me wonder. Can there be a spirit realm but no God? If these things are not demons, then what are they? I've heard about 100 demon stories over the years, 95% of them are rubbish, I am sure. But every once in a while...one comes along that just creeps me out. And I would never believe it if it weren't backed up by evidence (or told by credible individuals). But like the second story, 4 elders, physical damage to the Kingdom Hall, visits from HQ regarding it? I'd feel foolish DENYING it happened.

Anyways, share your experiences or thoughts on this subject!

• redvip2000
    redvip2000

In my experience, there is always a rational and science-based explanation for all of these supernatural stories - the ones who are not obviously made up.

Just because some guy has a mental episode that drives him to go nuts and run into walls or book cases, does mean we take the easy way out and say it's black magic. There are all sorts of people with weird mental illnesses.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath
    what was the young man on ? i'll have half a kilo .
  • humblepotato
    humblepotato

"Just because some guy has a mental episode that drives him to go nuts and run into walls or book cases, does mean we take the easy way out and say it's black magic."

I'd say that's a pretty rational explanation... He's totally normal (now) and a really cool guy to hang out with. But that's not to say he had some mental problem ailing him back in the 90's.

• sir82
    sir82

They would have no reason to make up a story.

Of course they would. It makes them sound like experts in "demons", and wonderfully spiritual, and whatnot. It makes them celebrities with a cool story to tell.

That "young man" sounds like he had a bad reaction to tainted drugs.

• FayeDunaway
    FayeDunaway
    I think theres definitely some weird stuff out there. I've heard stories from reputable people too, things that happened to them personally. I think much of this stuff does have a scientific reason, but not all of it.
  • iwasblind
    iwasblind

Hey humblepotato

It takes just as much faith to be an atheist as it does to believe in God.

There are a lot here who can give you the atheists perspective, but I am still a believer. I am also on this awakening journey - one thing I am trying to do is not let the BORG ruin my trust in everything.

We are victims of mind control and so before you throw out God give him as much chance as you give the opposing view.

In relation to Demons - I do believe in the supernatural realm but the JW's use it to scare people where as the bible says we are not under Satan's authority.

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome
    One of your stories reminds me of a situation I know of. It also included objects flying around. I know the people who experienced it well. Someone who was having some difficulty with their faith had it related to them by one of those who had been there it didn't really help. Think you kind of have to experience it for yourself
  • LisaRose
    LisaRose

People lie, exaggerate and pass off made up stories as real all the time. I believe the young man was mentally ill or took drugs, then had a meltdown and threw himself around. Obviously the brothers were scared and afraid of demons and jumped to conclusions. Elders usually know very little about mental illness

I say proof or it didn't happen.

And it does not take faith to not believe in God any more than it takes faith to not believe in the Easter Bunny.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

What was the paramedic's report?

I bet they found drugs in his system...

And how did the police not investigate? The paramedics had an obligation to report violent activity, and that would have launched an investigation into why 4 men had him in a back room where he was suddenly attacked and injured.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit