Are you socially retarded? - For the newbies

by Billygoat 70 Replies latest jw experiences

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

Don't let this title startle you. I'm not starting a flame war.

This is something that I've thought a lot about since I have two dogs. My male dog was abused when I got him. He was 5 years old and a total ragamuffin. So dirty and ugly he was adorable. I fell in love with his gentleness and sweet smile. (For those of you that don't know, yes, dogs do smile!) But I quickly realized Henry was not socialized very well. Basically, he'd never had much interaction with people so he was frightened of them. Although I took him home, bathed him, groomed him, and loved on him, he would shy away anytime I leaned down to pet him. He had learned somewhere that a human hand reaching down to him was going to hurt him. After having him for over two years, he's FINALLY (and slowly!) getting better. He follows me around and is a total mama's boy, but he still occasionally acts scared when I pet him or yelps when I try to play with him. Although he's getting used to me, if someone else comes over that he doesn't know, he hides under the bed. He attempts to protect me by barking at the intruder, but he does it from under the bed. LOL!

I think growing up as a JW is much the same thing. I was taught to fear anything of the world. That it was evil and full of people wanting to hurt me. I was not allowed to take part in sports, cheerleading, slumber parties, or any other typical element of childhood. Although my parents were attempting to protect me from evil, their hard work was actually raising a socially retarded child. All these elements of a normal healthy childhood teach children how to interact with each other. Children learn what is socially acceptable to their peers and to adults by these simple daily interactions.

So what happens if a child doesnt learn these social skills growing up? I'm sure there are a lot of scenarios, but I'll just relate mine. I think this probably mirrors many of you here as well.

Because I was not allowed to have the typical childish events like sports, slumber parties, etc., my interaction with peers was severely limited and I really didnt know how to act with people. All I knew about social interaction was learned from my dysfunctional family. When you were mad you screamed, hit, and threw things at people. When you were sad or depressed you didnt dare cry or youd get smacked or spanked even more. When you were happy, it was only to manipulate someone else into getting what you wanted.

So when I was 19 and DFed I was kicked out of my parents home. I had some worldly friends I worked with, that let me stay with them until I found my own place. Outside of feeling emotionally raw and vulnerable, I was shocked at how loving my friends were to me. They fed me, bought me presents, let me live with them rent free, cooked for me, taught me how to do laundry, covered shifts at work for me. I remember thinking many times "Why are they doing this?" and more often than not "What do they want?" I figured they really had an ulterior motive and were not to be trusted. People werent loving and happy unless they wanted something, right? So many times I lashed out at them, was rude to them, was paranoid whenever they wanted private time. Theyre talking about me I just know it! It wasn't until many years later that I realized they really do love me. They stuck by me because they knew I had no family and they wanted to take care of me. They knew of how terrible my home life was and wanted to help repair the damage it had caused. They knew somehow that I was socially retarded and didn't react in healthy, normal ways because I didnt know how. I am so grateful for Daniel Wilson and Tonya Wilson (now Owens). Even if I explained to them what they had done for me, they probably still wouldnt understand the depth of gratitude I have for them. In many ways they saved my life!

I guess I want everyone to understand that even though youre feeling hurt, angry, and confused by the pain that the WTS has caused you, things do get better. If you react strongly or strangely to things, or if you're paranoid of peoples intentions, PLEASE know youre on a path to healing. If you're feelings are easily hurt and you're easily frustrated, that is also part of the healing. You've spent many years in a social circle that was by all definitions unhealthy and strange. It will probably take you years to overcome the pain and habits that it has created. Just be aware of your emotions and how you react to certain situations. Think before you react if possible. If you don't you may have some regrets later in life, like I do with my friends Tonya and Daniel. I regret treating them the ways I did.

In the midst of the pain and frustration of healing/finding my way in this world, I have found myself enjoying the little details in life. Now I enjoy hearing the panting greeting of a dog or the soft purr of a cat. I find that food tastes better and music sounds prettier. My healthy relationships have been deeper and a lot more fun. I find myself being kinder to strangers and more compassionate towards others that experience troublesome times. I find myself being kinder and more compassionate to myself. Which, I've realized, is key to my healing. I've been through hell and sometimes still going through it. Being hard on myself doesn't always help that healing process. In fact, sometimes it slows it down.

I dont know if this has helped, but thanks for just letting me get some thoughts down.

Wishing good times and healing to all of you,

Andi

Edited by - Billygoat on 19 June 2002 12:45:17

Edited by - Billygoat on 19 June 2002 12:53:57

• SpiceItUp
    SpiceItUp

(((((Andi)))))

Thank you for your words...they are exactly how I felt growing up...even how I still feel sometimes.

And yes with time it does get better.

Spice

• slipnslidemaster
    slipnslidemaster

Couldn't have been stated better. I've often used the term "Socially retarded" to describe myself and the lack of social/emotional skills that I have.

It's taken me a long time (8 years) to even begin to develop the right skills and even today I still watch and mentally take notes about what the right cues and responses are in any social situation.

I think that I made the most progress these last 2 years upon finding the online exJW communities.

• Celia
    Celia

Billy,

Wonderful stories, your dog's and your own.

I can see your dog hiding under the furniture but still barking at the intruders who could harm you ! Hahaaahaha.......

• MoeJoJoJo
    MoeJoJoJo

Andi, Wonderful post and oh so true!

Like many witness kids, my parents not only did not let me socialize with 'wordlies' but they also chose my Witness friends...had to be baptized, etc. and every activity was monitored. I could never really be myself because my parents were always watching and judging my every move. I basically lived in a shell with no room to express myself and grow.

I am finally learning who I am at age 32.

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

MoeJoJo,

I think we were raised in the same family. Even if the kids were JW's I couldn't socialize with all of them. *shaking head* I'll be 31 this August. I'm just now getting to the point where I'm comfortable in my own skin. I truly feel like my 20's were my adolescent years.

Celia,

I will try to post a picture of Henry later. I haven't quite figured out how to post pics in this new format. Grrr!

Slippy,

I'm still learning myself. I'm so thankful I got out when I did. Can you imagine coming out in our 50's or 60's? *sigh* I don't know if I could do it!

Spice,

I read some of your posts and totally relate to you. I may be totally off base, but I see your reactions like how I react sometimes. Just take it slow, be gentle on yourself. When you feel yourself get frustrated, imagine yourself as a small child. What would you tell a small child going through what you're going through. Be kind to yourself!

Thanks everyone for your quick comments. I'm glad I'm not the only one dealing with this stuff!

Andi

PS: Edited because I'm trying to add a picture, but it's too big. Grrr! Anyone know how I can make it smaller?

Edited by - Billygoat on 19 June 2002 13:13:15

Edited by - Billygoat on 19 June 2002 13:14:43

• teenyuck
    teenyuck

{{{{Andi}}}}

Because I was not allowed to have the typical childish events like sports, slumber parties, etc., my interaction with peers was severely limited and I really didnt know how to act with people. All I knew about social interaction was learned from my dysfunctional family. When you were mad you screamed, hit, and threw things at people. When you were sad or depressed you didnt dare cry or youd get smacked or spanked even more. When you were happy, it was only to manipulate someone else into getting what you wanted.

That sums it up. That is still true in my Mom's family....my dad's were dysfunctional in a different way.

This seems so common with us, ex-dubs, it is frightening.

• apple829
    apple829

You must have been reading my mind! My mother joined the JW's when I was 6 years old, so I had not developed any real social skills. When I turned 15, I decided that enough was enough and I was old enough to decide not to attend meetings anymore (loooooong story). Having not been able to join any clubs or play sports, I had a hard time relating to my peers on their topics (anything non-JW).

It wasn't until my college years (yes, I was allowed to go to college) that I learned to confidently talk to people, have friends of the opposite sex who weren't JW or schoolmates, and interact with people in social settings.

I still have a hard time when I do or say things I think might incur the wrath of Jehovah, but its an on-going process that gets better everyday.

• MoeJoJoJo
    MoeJoJoJo

((((((((Andi My Younger Sis!!!))))))))

• MrMoe
    MrMoe

I don't bi*ch about my JW childhood. I never have regrets. My parents loved me so very much and showed it the best way they knew how. (Not to belittle anybody's feelings here or anything...)

Wanna know why I feel this way? There is some little boy or girl in Cuba that does not have furniture and if they get caught with furniture their entire household is beaten to a bloody pulp by the military, the children do not have shoes on their feet and their mother or father just got shot last week for trying to steal a cow that the government will not allow them to have because the citizens are only allowed a diet of beans and rice. Just an example anyhow. There are countless others.

Amanda

Edited by - MrMoe on 19 June 2002 13:18:29

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit