JW's Are People Just Like You and Me

by Sentinel 23 Replies latest jw experiences

• Sentinel
    Sentinel

Nikita,

Thank you for the post. My heart was telling me the very same thing. When I walked away in 1981, they were absolutely dumbfounded that I would do that. The rumor was that I had done some terrible deed, a terrible sin, and that I did this so I wouldn't be humiliated by being df'd.

They would have been very bored tailing me to find out the scoop. It's really difficult for the borg to understand that someone is actually thinking for themselves. They label you apostate, heathen, and all sorts of ugly names. All my friends dropped me like a hot potatoe. They were afraid of my new strength. Yet, I know that others wished they could do what I did. I paid a great price. I lost the foundation of a youth from the age of 14 to my mid 30's. Wonderful dear people, caught up in an ugly lie.

I hope the lady returns, but I'm not counting on it. I'm certain she told the story to someone else and they warned her against me.

We only do so much, I guess.

Love and Light,

Karen/Sentinel

• Windchaser
    Windchaser

Karen, thank you for your great post. I walked away four years ago, and although I have had several visits, I have not opened my door. Hopefully one day I will have the loving kindness you showed to this lady. With Dateline and the other bad press jws are receiving, maybe more will be open to kind words from a very happy exjw!

Hugs to you,

Wind

• crawdad2
    crawdad2

thanks for the reply sentinel..........i am at peace also, with rank and file jws.......... although i have to deal with all the slander that has been spread around about me by the elders in an effort to discredit me.......... when they do my street, if i see them i go stand out there and look at them........ most of them either are to scared to look at me, or they give me dirty looks......... i suppose if i moved somewhere else i could have tons of fun,,,,,,,,, inviting them in, and studying with them.......hehe

• ItsJustlittleoldme
    ItsJustlittleoldme

Excellent Sentinel,

It's when one realizes that there is no need to be angry, let the anger go, and let your natural empathy and concern for others shine through is when you have them, and you can show them..!!! That's also when you become free!!! Remember, you can only become a victim if YOU let it happen... !!! More importantly, when you really think about how their lives are, for me anyway, I feel nothing but sorrow/empathy and pity for them... I want to help them every time I meet one.. So, I just 'turn' the other cheek when they get insulting, and usually remind them that Jehovah wouldn't approve of their attitude.. They should be more 'humble'...

And, when an ELDER get's haughty at ya, just remind him that Jehovah doesn't approve of Haughty/prideful people, and he was THEOCRATICALLY appointed, so he needs to set the example, and just what example is he setting now?.. Correct him, tell him that he should be more humble, and forgive him for his transgression. Tthey love that, and REALLY appreciate you trying to help them become better witnesses, TRUST ME

Edited by - ItsJustlittleoldme on 16 June 2002 20:13:0

Edited by - ItsJustlittleoldme on 16 June 2002 20:13:30

• Imbue
    Imbue

Karen excellent post :

Thanks for sharing that experience it demonstrates that being reasonable can reach some people. If you had responded with indignation you would not have had the ear of this woman.

• Nikita
    Nikita

Hi again Karen!

Since I live in a rural area (pop. @2000) I rarely see JW's. And I am about 250 miles away from where I was DA'd at. But, if I ever do have the occasion to "talk with them", I will try to remember your approach!

I still have 2 brothers who are "in" but one of them recently made contact with me to tell me of his dissatisfaction with them! That's how I found my way here! Even though it has been 16 + years since I said goodbye to my friends, I feel I am regaining some of them again as some of them have left too. I never thought I'd see the day! And I didn't "influence" them in anyway meaning I didn't try to argue doctrine or pick debates. I just tried to be me. I feel "elated" at the possiblities of a new found relationship with my brother and with my old friends!

Whatever the outcome of your "visit", I believe seeds were planted today and you found strength within yourself! They (WTS) no longer have the power!

Nikita

• BeautifulGarbage
    BeautifulGarbage

Karen,

Beautiful post.

About 6 months ago I had two women come to my door. When one of the women offered me a Watchtower I just responded with a polite "no thank you". She was rather timid and I could tell she was uncomfortable. She and her companion quicky departed. I felt sad for her.

How nice that you were able to relate so lovingly with the woman at your door. I hope she comes back to see you.

Andee

• Prisca
    Prisca

Karen,

That was a VERY unusual situation that happened with that sister that came to your door, and I sincerely hope she does return. It may not be soon, as she may feel guilty for expressing her doubts, but I am sure what you said to her will remain with her, and who knows? Maybe in a year or so she will return, ready to ask questions and learn "the truth about the truth".

Keep us updated if she does return.

• scootergirl
    scootergirl

Thanks for the post, Karen.

I run a daycare and last year an out of town uncle of one of the girls came to pick her up. We got to talking (extremely nice fellow) and it happened that we both knew people from out of town-further into our conversation I finally asked him "are you a Jehovah's Witness?"

Lo and behold, yes, he was. He use to be an elder, was df'd and was recently reinstated. When I told him I was an df'd dub and asked him if it bothered him to speak to me, he kindly said "no". We talked for quite awhile. He was the most kindest man. Very sincere and never preached to me once. I felt like that big "scarlet letter" was removed from my chest and I was a normal human being and so was he.

• Sentinel
    Sentinel

Ahaaaa Crawdad,

I'm seeing another side of you.

You roar like a lion sometimes, but you have an endearing heart.

You post honestly, exactly the way you feel. I enjoy reading what you have to say.

Yep, I can just see you there, staring them down....they probably think you are from "the dark side".

If I was now living in the "dark ages" where the minds of mankind were afraid of everything and anything that was the least bit different, I'd be hanging from a tree, or burned at the stake. I'm thankful times have changed!

Karen/Sentinel

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit