Dinosaurs~tell me more

by sOOner 32 Replies latest watchtower bible

• waiting
    waiting

Hey Sooner! Welcome - and you survived your first encounter with AlanF with amazing grace - far better than I did the first time around

Simon's give us a fine place to chat, discuss, joke, cry, and learn - Simon's the owner by the way. If memory serves me - learning about the Flood theory taught by the Society was a pet project of his. Glad you joined us - enjoy the journey to freedom.....has it's ups and downs (more ups).

Btw, evolution, history of the earth etc., was a new area of learning for me.....and I still have a long way to go. The WTBTS sure kept us ignorant of a lot of scientific "stuff."

waiting

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

Flipping channels a few weeks ago I came across a fundy dude using a verse from Job to prove his point that early man co-existed with dinosaurs.

"Sure the writer must have been speaking of dinosaurs" he said, in a hauntingly Watchtower-esque tone.

The WT are far from being the only religious looney-tuneys out there.

• sOOner
    sOOner

To AlanF:
    Since reading your articles in the Research JW page my humble apologies to you.Your research is very through.
    Thank you for the article July 2002 issue of Scientific American.

thank you for the gentle nudge:)

? What about the scripture that states a day in the eyes of God is as a 1000 years?
    2 Peter 2:8
    Would that interpretation render 6,OOO -7,OOO years involved in creation as literally?

It certainly is not a regular 24 hour day as we know today.

I notice a few posts mentioning Creation was a total of 6 days,the 7th being a day of rest.6 times 7,ooo years ? = 42,ooo YEARS ???

City Fan posted:
    "JW's believe the Earth and the Universe is billions of years old, it's life on Earth which is only thousands of years old. When I went to meetings they believed that each creative day was 7000 years in length so the six creative days lasted 42,000 years."

But if creation did involve 7 days considering the day of rest that would bring us to 7x7,ooo=49,000 years.

Does the 7th day not count because it was a rest day???

If my memory serves me,I remember JW's being heavy on the a day is as a 1000 years theory or interpretation.

comments,constructive critcism,gentle nudges are appreciated~

sOOner

• sOOner
    sOOner

Espavo

To Waiting~

TY so much for the encouragement.This is my very FIRST forum.I must say I am learning verbatum.You are absolutely right,the scientific stuf was a definite hidden subject.We might have found the real ~TRUTH~ sooner.

This is a wonderful place.I am learning so much and isn't that what LIFE is all about.

Freedom:)

of speech

Pro's and Con's

our opinions,thoughts,feelings of love and compassion is what make us the earth angels that we are.

our experiences is what makes us unique.

in the light~

sOOner

• City Fan
    City Fan

sOOner -

It's only from what I remember and maybe someone else has more info than me - but yes JWs believe the 7th day or day of rest was another 7000 years which means all 7 days equalled 49,000 years.

They get the 7,000 year long day by saying that the day of rest = 6000 years from Adam to now (roughly) plus the 1000 years of Christ's millenium. So if the day of rest is 7,000 years then that must be the length of the other days.

But the article I read on dinosaurs never mentioned the length of the creative days so I can only assume the JWs have gone off the idea.

• Bang
    Bang

Why am I not at all suprised that " is AS a thousand years " in jw hearing becomes " IS a thousand years". So instead of "like a really long time" we get a non-prophet history lesson.

Another "thousand year" total misinterpretation is the 'mellenium reign' - that term really grates on my soul.

Bang

Edited by - Bang on 17 June 2002 4:21:32

• JanH
    JanH

sooner,

But if creation did involve 7 days considering the day of rest that would bring us to 7x7,ooo=49,000 years.
    Does the 7th day not count because it was a rest day???

JWs believe in the so-called "gap theory" in their interpretation of Genesis 1:1. This states that the first verse, "in the beginning", precedes the start of the first day of creation.The "days", which may or may not be 7000 days each (the WTS has not repeated this doctrine since 1987) only concerns the creation of life on earth.

*** w70 2/15 120 The Days of Creation from God's Viewpoint ***Thus we find the seventh "day" of the creative week to be seven thousand years long. On the basis of the length of the seventh "day" it is therefore reasonable to conclude that each of the other six "days" also was a period of 7,000 years. This length of time would be ample for all that the Bible tells us took place on each of the six days of creation.
    *** w87 1/1 30 Questions From Readers ***Second, a study of the fulfillment of Bible prophecy and of our location in the stream of time strongly indicate that each of the creative days (Genesis, chapter 1) is 7,000 years long. It is understood that Christ's reign of a thousand years will bring to a close God's 7,000-year 'rest day,' the last 'day' of the creative week. (Revelation 20:6; Genesis 2:2, 3) Based on this reasoning, the entire creative week would be 49,000 years long.

- Jan
  • Sentinel
    Sentinel

Hi sOOner,

IMHO, perhaps the earlier attempts at creating the human race, resulted in the caveman who were around long before Adam & Eve. And perhaps they lived on the earth towards the end of the dinasaur era, and were destroyed by a great cateclysm.

Your Sista,

Sentinel

• Crazy151drinker
    Crazy151drinker

Hello sOOner!

Just a couple of late points to make on some of your earlier questions.

The sun is not shrinking but is in reality expanding. In a few billions years it will become a red giant and engulf mercury, venus, and earth.

There are a couple of reasons why the moon has a thin layer of dust.

1) Its younger than the earth

2) Well this one is the biggie. The moon has weak gravity and little or no atmoshphere. So when an object comes near the moon it is not going to be pulled into the moon do to the moons weak gravitational pull, nor will it burn up in an atmoshpere, it will just keep flying by. When a comet or asteroid does hit the moon it creates a huge explosion and ejects debris. Now on earth, the debris ejected from the surface floats around the atmosphere for awhile and eventually settles back to the earth. It doesn't leave the earth do to the earth's strong gravitational pull. The problem with the moon is that its gravity is too week to keep the debree from leaving the moon. The debris has an escape velocity cannot be overpowered by the moons weak gravity, so all of the debris flies of into space. I believe the moons gravity is about 1/10th that of earths so if you weigh 200lbs here you would only weigh 20lbs on the moon. That is why the Astronaughts could leap 30-40ft at a time.

NASA has tons of info on the moon and the sun so if you have any questions check out NASA's sites.

• larc
    larc

Sentinel, that is not possible. The dinasours became extinct about 65 million years ago. Homoerectus did not come into existence until about a million years ago. Anyway, all of these dates, even if the measurements were off by 50% are way beyond the 49,000 years that the JWs and others talk about.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit