Dinosaurs~tell me more

by sOOner 32 Replies latest watchtower bible

• City Fan
    City Fan

Salud's right.

JW's believe the Earth and the Universe is billions of years old, it's life on Earth which is only thousands of years old. When I went to meetings they believed that each creative day was 7000 years in length so the six creative days lasted 42,000 years.

My mother gave me an Awake a few years ago with an article about dinosaurs in it. I can't remember the date of the issue but maybe someone else on this board can. What I found interesting about this article was not what it said but what it didn't say. In previous articles about fossils the society had gone to great lengths to try to discredit dating methods. The article about dinosaurs didn't mention dating methods once.

The bible doesn't mention dinosaurs because the bible writers didn't know they existed.

• AlanF
    AlanF

To sOOner:

: Just a remark to you on my not having any sense at all.

I didn't say you have no sense. In near disbelief at what you wrote, I asked you if you have any sense.

: I have not jumped from the JW frying pan into the fundamentalism fire.

Then why are you posting nonsense from Fundamentalist publications? That book by Ackerman is absolute trash masquerading as science. Everything in it has been soundly refuted by plenty of people. For example, go to the website http://www.talkorigins.org . You'll find material on every bit of nonsense Ackerman gets into.

The fact that you've actually publicly posted this YEC nonsense without first considering the scientific point of view is strongly suggestive that you have little sense. Surely you can understand why I am horrified that an ex-JW would do this!

: I am open to acquiring knowledge.Making statements concerning my senseability intriques me.It makes me wonder if you have the sense of compassion and wisdom to know the difference.

I've been at this for more than ten years. Sometimes people need a hard whack upside the head to wake them up or get them pointed in the right direction.

Some of the things you wrote indicate that you have no idea what you're talking about. Here are some examples:

: Scientists that always claimed our earth to be billions and billions of years old are now saying that in actuality it is closer to the mark of 6-7,ooo years.This of course is what JW's have always said.Put a tally on there sheet.

Nonsense. No scientist, writing in the name of real science, is saying such a thing. A few people with scientific credentials are writing such things, such as in the publications of the ICR (Institute for Creation Research), but when they do so they're expounding their religious beliefs, not science. The ICR pretends to present science, but their publications contain numerous references to their motives being entirely religious -- to support their religious belief in a literal interpretation of Genesis.

Furthermore, the Watchtower Society has never held that the earth is only 6-7000 years old. They've taught until recently that the creative days of Genesis were 7000 years long, and thus that God's "creative week" began about 48,000 years ago. Since the mid to late 1980s they've backed off from this and will only commit to the creative days being "millenia" long.

The fact that you have not understood the JW position or that of scientists forces me to question how much sense you have. Rather than reading nonsensical YEC writings, you should be looking at solid scientific writings. You'll never get the full truth from the YECs because they're not interested in science, but only in converting people to their beliefs.

AlanF

• gsx1138
    gsx1138

Did you miss all of the shows on Egypt? The ones where geologists confirm that part of the sphinx is near 12,000 years old. The only reason this isn't more widely accepted is because of Creationists and archeologists who don't want to admit that they might be wrong. Regardless, there is sooo much imperical evidence that the earth is very old. We went through some polar shifts and axis shifts so that is why measuring magnetic decay is not only impossible it is a waste of time.

• gsx1138
    gsx1138

I had a couple of guys in my speech class that gave speeches/sermons on how carbon dating is wrong and the earth is 6-7k old. I was so shocked that anyone actually believed that tripe I couldn't come up with any easy questions to disprove them. Even now, I don't understand how anyone would let religous delusion block common sense.

• larc
    larc

sOOner, welcome to our community. Now, regarding the subject in question, I would suggest you go to the bottom of this page, and click the link to "Research on the WT". When you get there you will find extensive writing by Alan Feuerbacher, who is AlanF the one addressing your post. Alan is one of the good guys, and I am sure he is not attempting to belittle you, rather, he is trying to get you to think and get started in the right direction as far as research goes. If Alan showed a bit of impatience with you, it is only because us "old timers" here have had to address issues like this many times, but of course, you are new and wouldn't know our history or the history of this subject. Fortunately, in Alan's case, his writing is saved and collected at the aforementioned link. After you read this and other links that Alan has provided, I think you will be in a better position to ask any questions, since you will have a better foundation for doing so. Again, welcome to our community. I hope your stay here is a pleasant one. I think you will find many interesting people here, with a very wide range of interests, talents, and expertise.

• Mackin
    Mackin

Salud, you are absolutely correct. Sorry my memory of 'dub theology is a getting a bit rusty these days.

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

It is scientifically accepted that the original inhabitants / descendants of this land (Australia) have been here for forty thousand years +. As far as life goes, here's a quickly accessed snippet - through the Australian tourist commission.

"Trees found in Australias central east coast rainforests include representatives of ancient southern beech families found also in New Zealand and South America. They are genetically identical to fossils found under the Antarctic ice cap, dating back over 100 million years to when Antarctica formed the warm and fertile central portion of the Gondwana supercontinent......Until about 12 million years ago, when Australia grew cooler and more arid, it was largely covered by rainforest."

paduan

• sOOner
    sOOner

AlanF said:
    Sometimes people need a hard whack upside the head to wake them up or get them pointed in the right direction.

Funny you should say that,my dad used to tell me the exact same thing.The whack has been acknowledged and gratefully accepted/I will look into the site you mentioned.I have not made any down-payments on YEC.It was a path I happened to check out.I will use more thought and senseability when posting things of a unscientific nature.

AlanF said:
    I've been at this for more than ten years.

I appreciate your wisdom.I guess I was never REALLY a JW.I was baptized but it was never my heart.I went through the motions of the meetings every Tuesday-Thursday-Sunday.I attended the assemblies,the door-to-door service.My form was present to appease my mama,my mind was always somewhere~any-where else.I was disfellowshipped twice.Hey,you may have a point.A person that doesen't choose freely for themselves must be lacking in common sense.

AlanF said:
    The fact that you have not understood the JW position

this is very likely.

All points you have given have been taken with a gentle nudge~

larc said:
    who is AlanF the one addressing your post. Alan is one of the good guys, and I am sure he is not attempting to belittle you, rather, he is trying to get you to think and get started in the right direction as far as research goes.

thank you once more for directing me to these links.You are right,I am just a babe.I will check the temps from now on before diving in so to speak.

Ty for your patience and kind words.

sOOner

• JanH
    JanH

sooner,

I suggest you check up a bit of what scientists really know about the age of the earth. It is pretty much beyond doubt that the Earth is around 4.5 billion years old. This has been confirmed by a number of independent tests.

The so-called dating methods creationists have put forth are shown to be totally bogus.

I recommend you take a look at Chris Stassen's excellent overview here: http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/faq-age-of-earth.html It summarises the evidence for an old age very well, and rebuts some of the most well known arguments from creationists (e.g. the dishonest moon dust argument).

- Jan

• AlanF
    AlanF

In the July 2002 issue of Scientific American, editor in chief John Rennie considers 15 standard YEC arguments and refutes them all. It's pretty standard stuff for those long involved in the creationism controversy, but there's plenty of good stuff for the novice.

AlanF

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit