Respect Your Elders!

by comforter 78 Replies latest jw friends

• detective
    detective

Let's see... If I negatively disrespect someone does that mean that I positively respect them? Wait... another thought, maybe if I negatively disrespect someone I just respect them?

Damn, this is getting confusing.

• JT
    JT

We see that some people in this place have trouble grasping abstract thought.

########

it that sorta like the wonderful "Anti-typical" that made Fred Franz famous

• AlanF
    AlanF

Every reader is seeing how this troll "comforter" works its lies. Here are some good examples:

: There is a time to be ossified and a time not to be ossified in one's thinking. When one stands for what is right, one should remain ossified in thinking.

This implies that the Governing Body stands for what is right. But we who have observed them for some time know that they do not. They stand for their own aggrandisement. They want to go to heaven and get their reward, and will do whatever they can -- right or wrong -- to get it.

: Fraudbacker brings up the molestation issue again.

I said nothing about molestion in my previous post. Yet another lie from a lying troll.

Next we find a typical red herring -- "the Catholic Church is more guilty than we are of screwing up on molestation issues, and so we're absolved":

: But let's consider the papacy for a moment, mr fraud. Look at what the vatican has permitted for years when it comes to molestation. They moved men from parish to parish, a digusting practice, that did not have one thing to do with age. A young bishop or pope would have done the same thing. Yet, even thought I can castigate the pope and his posse without talking about the gas that comes out his bottom, you cannot do the same for the governing body. Why is that? Cause you are a disrespectful and malevolent ageist.

Lots of fodder here for showing how disgusting a JW-defender can get when cornered.

The troll speaks of the disgusting practice of moving molesting priests from parish to parish. Yet that is exactly what the Governing Body did with the child-raper and GB member Leo Greenlees in 1984. The troll inadvertantly condemns the very Governing Body it worships. Further, the silentlambs webpage contains dozens of stories where an abusing elder got a slap on the wrist and was merely moved to another congregation. Yet we hear no complaints about this from our troll.

The troll actually manages to condemn the entire Watchtower leadership, not just the Governing Body, by admitting that the younger men who comprise the rest of the leadership have equal responsibility with the GB for aiding and abetting the covering up of child molestation and the punishment and threat of punishment for victims. Very soon there will be put on certain news programs the fact that the GB ordered certain of its henchmen to threaten certain victims into keeping silent. The GB and its vile practices will be on display before the world, and the world will judge them to be as reprehensible as the leaders of the Catholic Church.

As for the aged Pope, he certainly does not determine Church policy to the same extent as the Governing Body determines JW policy. Church policy is determined more democratically, as is shown by the fact that American bishops are presently being called on to vote on molestation policy changes. Thus, the responsiblity for Church policy is spread around among young and old Church officials, whereas JW policy is determined strictly by the GB. Thus, it is entirely the fault of ancient, ossified thinkers in JW leadership when JW policies on any front are wrong, and attributing their bad thinking to age is perfectly reasonable.

As for castigating the Governing Body for their disgusting policies without reference to their age, that's extremely easy to do, and I have certainly done so in spades. But understanding that ossified thinking due to old age plays its part in the reasons for some JW policies is valuable. A younger leadership would not make the same mistakes.

AlanF

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

lol...Alan,

I suppose we should thank Comforter for the opportunity of showing lurkers, who number in the many hundreds why the GB cannot be respected regardless of their age and experience.

It also shows them how shallow WTS think-mode really is.

Comforter needs a Paraclete.

HS

• comforter
    comforter

???Let's see... If I negatively disrespect someone does that mean that I positively respect them? Wait... another thought, maybe if I negatively disrespect someone I just respect them????

It all depends on what you mean by "negative." What I mean is "consisting of negation" or a privation. So negative respect means to respect someone by negating harmful behavior towards that person. Positive respect means to show respect by active deeds and not just by witholding harm.

I know you got it now.

AF

???The troll speaks of the disgusting practice of moving molesting priests from parish to parish. Yet that is exactly what the Governing Body did with the child-raper and GB member Leo Greenlees in 1984. The troll inadvertantly condemns the very Governing Body it worships. Further, the silentlambs webpage contains dozens of stories where an abusing elder got a slap on the wrist and was merely moved to another congregation. Yet we hear no complaints about this from our troll.???

If what you say really happened, it would be disguting. But seeing that you are a shameless purveyor of gossip, I don't believe a word you say.

???The troll actually manages to condemn the entire Watchtower leadership, not just the Governing Body, by admitting that the younger men who comprise the rest of the leadership have equal responsibility with the GB for aiding and abetting the covering up of child molestation and the punishment and threat of punishment for victims.???

Talk about twisting one's comments.

???Very soon there will be put on certain news programs the fact that the GB ordered certain of its henchmen to threaten certain victims into keeping silent. The GB and its vile practices will be on display before the world, and the world will judge them to be as reprehensible as the leaders of the Catholic Church.???

That will happen when Sheol flames up, fraudbacker. LOL.

???As for the aged Pope, he certainly does not determine Church policy to the same extent as the Governing Body determines JW policy.???

This statement shows how little you know about the church's curia. The buck stops with the papacy in the catholic church. Study church government in the catholic church.

???Church policy is determined more democratically, as is shown by the fact that American bishops are presently being called on to vote on molestation policy changes. Thus, the responsiblity for Church policy is spread around among young and old Church officials, whereas JW policy is determined strictly by the GB. Thus, it is entirely the fault of ancient, ossified thinkers in JW leadership when JW policies on any front are wrong, and attributing their bad thinking to age is perfectly reasonable.???

Jw follow example of first century congregation. It was not a democracy. And though the catholic church has younger ones in the mix when it makes decisions, the church has hardly changed in all the years of its existence. LOL. Even if the gb's "Errors" could be attributed to age, why would anyone pick on the gb because of age?

???As for castigating the Governing Body for their disgusting policies without reference to their age, that's extremely easy to do, and I have certainly done so in spades. But understanding that ossified thinking due to old age plays its part in the reasons for some JW policies is valuable. A younger leadership would not make the same mistakes.???

You do not know what a younger leadership with do. Younger folks may not suffer from ossification but they often suffer from another syndrome. Manure filled diapers that they are not able to change. Besides, the gb does consider the input of younger members in the organisation. You just failt to acknowledge the fact.

• Lee Elder
    Lee Elder

I believe that when we take the lead in showing honor to others
    we are making a wise choice - regardless of the persons age.
    I also believe that "there is no fool like an old fool". When individuals
    reach maturity, it is only reasonable to expect that their
    experience in life should have molded them in positive ways.
    When this is the caes, their gray hair is a "crown of glory."

Lee

• AlanF
    AlanF

:: The troll speaks of the disgusting practice of moving molesting priests from parish to parish. Yet that is exactly what the Governing Body did with the child-raper and GB member Leo Greenlees in 1984...

: If what you say really happened, it would be disguting.

Ooh, a crack in the troll's armor, dare I say?

: But seeing that you are a shameless purveyor of gossip, I don't believe a word you say.

Then call the Society and ask specifically about it. Then report back here. But I already know what you'll find, if you have enough guts -- which you don't -- to do it: They would tell you "no comment" or the equivalent. They will not deny it because they know that if they do, then if the truth comes out unequivocally in the future -- and it will! -- then they will have been caught in yet another lie.

:: The troll actually manages to condemn the entire Watchtower leadership, not just the Governing Body, by admitting that the younger men who comprise the rest of the leadership have equal responsibility with the GB for aiding and abetting the covering up of child molestation and the punishment and threat of punishment for victims.

: Talk about twisting one's comments.

It's not my problem that you're too stupid to understand what you've done.

:: Very soon there will be put on certain news programs the fact that the GB ordered certain of its henchmen to threaten certain victims into keeping silent. The GB and its vile practices will be on display before the world, and the world will judge them to be as reprehensible as the leaders of the Catholic Church.

: That will happen when Sheol flames up, fraudbacker. LOL.

You think there'll be an explosion in hell this year then, Booby? Are you making yet another prediction?

:: As for the aged Pope, he certainly does not determine Church policy to the same extent as the Governing Body determines JW policy.

: This statement shows how little you know about the church's curia. The buck stops with the papacy in the catholic church. Study church government in the catholic church.

The buck stops with the Pope and the GB alright. But the Pope is not put on the same pedestal as the GB is by the men who are under them. In practice, the Church has enough sense not to think that the Pope was put in his place directly by God. Bethel leaders have this albatross of "passing the mantle" to deal with. Today, Ted Jaracz, aka "The Boss", wears that mantle and so the weenies below him who know what a scumbag he is refuse to act. Perhaps the adverse publicity now haunting the Society will light a fire under them.

:: Church policy is determined more democratically, as is shown by the fact that American bishops are presently being called on to vote on molestation policy changes. Thus, the responsiblity for Church policy is spread around among young and old Church officials, whereas JW policy is determined strictly by the GB. Thus, it is entirely the fault of ancient, ossified thinkers in JW leadership when JW policies on any front are wrong, and attributing their bad thinking to age is perfectly reasonable.

: Jw follow example of first century congregation.

Bullshit.

: It was not a democracy.

Actually it was run a good deal more like the Church is than how the Society is run. That "apostolic council" in Jerusalem that ruled on circumcision and other matters was attended by lots of "low level" Christians, not just by those the Society misrepresents as a 1st-century "governing body". All of the attendees had input to the decisions. The JW Governing Body meets in secret and issues rulings little to no regard for what "low level" JWs think. In fact, if a low-level JW has the temerity to offer an opinion, he'll be told to shut up or be disfellowshipped.

: And though the catholic church has younger ones in the mix when it makes decisions, the church has hardly changed in all the years of its existence.

And?

I think there's something to be said for stability, as opposed to the Keystone Kops methods of governing used by the JW leadership. Every few decades they try something new -- always with divine direction, of course.

: LOL. Even if the gb's "Errors" could be attributed to age, why would anyone pick on the gb because of age?

No reasonable person picks on them because of their age. These men are criticized because of their bad, unchristian, self-serving and amazingly stupid decisions. The fact that they are ancient and therefore have ossified brains explains why their decisions are so bad. I mean, one would be hard put to figure out a worse set of decisions than they've made over the last year and a half with respect to dealing with the adverse publicity about molestation.

:: As for castigating the Governing Body for their disgusting policies without reference to their age, that's extremely easy to do, and I have certainly done so in spades. But understanding that ossified thinking due to old age plays its part in the reasons for some JW policies is valuable. A younger leadership would not make the same mistakes.

: You do not know what a younger leadership with do.

No one really knows what any specific set of leaders would do. But the odds are that they wouldn't consistently make the very worst decisions that could be made. Younger men tend to be somewhat less arrogant than the old geezers who have been bowed down to for decades and have become overconfident that they are not to be questioned.

: Younger folks may not suffer from ossification but they often suffer from another syndrome. Manure filled diapers that they are not able to change.

Why would they do that? They have sisters in Bethel who do that for the GB.

: Besides, the gb does consider the input of younger members in the organisation. You just failt to acknowledge the fact.

Considering it and acting on it are two different things. Moreover, the younger ones know perfectly well not to offer opinions unless asked, and know how to refrain from offering opinions -- even when asked -- when it is obvious which way the wind is blowing. Face it: the Governing Body does not want advice from anyone outside a very narrow circle. These old men want others to tell them how wonderful they are and to confirm for them that whatever they decide is from God.

AlanF

• Dawn
    Dawn

I do not believe I owe them ANY amount of respect - they have not earned it, and they have not shown it to their "flock"

Matthew 23:11-13 He who is greatest among you shall be your servant; whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted. "But woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! because you shut the kingdom of heaven against men; for you neither enter yourselves, nor allow those who would enter to go in.

They have EXALTED themselves

They have indeed shut the kingdom of heaven against men by claiming that only a certain number could "get in"

Jesus did NOT respect the scribes and Pharisees - I DO NOT respect the governing body.

However - if it makes you feel better comforter, I'll choose a different adjective that is not related to age when referring to the members of the GB:

WOB Squad (Watchtower over Bible Squad)

• comforter
    comforter

???: If what you say really happened, it would be disguting.

Ooh, a crack in the troll's armor, dare I say????

You might dare to say it, but it ain't so.

???: But seeing that you are a shameless purveyor of gossip, I don't believe a word you say.

Then call the Society and ask specifically about it. Then report back here. But I already know what you'll find, if you have enough guts -- which you don't -- to do it: They would tell you "no comment" or the equivalent. They will not deny it because they know that if they do, then if the truth comes out unequivocally in the future -- and it will! -- then they will have been caught in yet another lie.???

You know good and well what the response would be if I called the Society and asked about Brother Greenlees. But I do not feel compelled to call the Society at all, considering that you are the one launching accusations against Greenlees. The burden of proof is therefore on you. Can you produce any credible evidence that Greenless was moved and set up as a pioneer because of molesting a child?

???:: The troll actually manages to condemn the entire Watchtower leadership, not just the Governing Body, by admitting that the younger men who comprise the rest of the leadership have equal responsibility with the GB for aiding and abetting the covering up of child molestation and the punishment and threat of punishment for victims.

: Talk about twisting one's comments.

It's not my problem that you're too stupid to understand what you've done.???

I did not "do" anything. You simply chose to reword what I wrote. But that is typical behavior for anti-jw polemicists.

???:: Very soon there will be put on certain news programs the fact that the GB ordered certain of its henchmen to threaten certain victims into keeping silent. The GB and its vile practices will be on display before the world, and the world will judge them to be as reprehensible as the leaders of the Catholic Church.

: That will happen when Sheol flames up, fraudbacker. LOL.

You think there'll be an explosion in hell this year then, Booby? Are you making yet another prediction????

No predictions, fraudbacker, since Jesus said no one knows the day and hour. But I would not bet on Sheol being lit or exploding anytime soon. LOL.

???:: As for the aged Pope, he certainly does not determine Church policy to the same extent as the Governing Body determines JW policy.

: This statement shows how little you know about the church's curia. The buck stops with the papacy in the catholic church. Study church government in the catholic church.

The buck stops with the Pope and the GB alright. But the Pope is not put on the same pedestal as the GB is by the men who are under them.???

The governing body is not considered infallible; the pope is. The governing body is not the final authority in doctrinal matters. The magisterium is the final authority in the catholic church. How you can make the statements you did with a straight face is beyond me.

???In practice, the Church has enough sense not to think that the Pope was put in his place directly by God.???

Maybe you need to talk about a subject you are familiar with since you know next to nothing about catholic church governance. The pope's roots go back to Peter who was supposedly appointed by Jesus Christ (God the Son) himself. Go back and study catholic church history.

???Bethel leaders have this albatross of "passing the mantle" to deal with. Today, Ted Jaracz, aka "The Boss", wears that mantle and so the weenies below him who know what a scumbag he is refuse to act. Perhaps the adverse publicity now haunting the Society will light a fire under them.???

No one passes the mantle better than the catholic church. If Jaracz does "take up the mantle" you can rest assure that his authority will be nowhere near the pope's. We technically have no leaders. Jaracz and other governing body members are just slaves of God.

???:: Church policy is determined more democratically, as is shown by the fact that American bishops are presently being called on to vote on molestation policy changes. Thus, the responsiblity for Church policy is spread around among young and old Church officials, whereas JW policy is determined strictly by the GB. Thus, it is entirely the fault of ancient, ossified thinkers in JW leadership when JW policies on any front are wrong, and attributing their bad thinking to age is perfectly reasonable.

: Jw follow example of first century congregation.

Bullshit.???

Please do not call yourself names.

???:It was not a democracy.

Actually it was run a good deal more like the Church is than how the Society is run. That "apostolic council" in Jerusalem that ruled on circumcision and other matters was attended by lots of "low level" Christians, not just by those the Society misrepresents as a 1st-century "governing body". All of the attendees had input to the decisions. The JW Governing Body meets in secret and issues rulings little to no regard for what "low level" JWs think. In fact, if a low-level JW has the temerity to offer an opinion, he'll be told to shut up or be disfellowshipped.???

You have no knowledge of what the word governing body means. You are way out of your element here. Exactly what low-level Christians attended the first century governing body meetings in Jerusalem?

And your suggestion about a jw being df is simplistic, to say the least.

???I think there's something to be said for stability, as opposed to the Keystone Kops methods of governing used by the JW leadership. Every few decades they try something new -- always with divine direction, of course.???

Now you are defending the catholic church over against jw. My how you have slipped, fraudbacker. You praise a church for continuing to do the wrong thing for hundreds of years? Give us a break. The church wrongly teaches that God is triune, that he burns people in hell, he predestinates human actions, we should venerate Mary and a host of other errors. Be my guest in praising such falsity.

???: LOL. Even if the gb's "Errors" could be attributed to age, why would anyone pick on the gb because of age?

No reasonable person picks on them because of their age. These men are criticized because of their bad, unchristian, self-serving and amazingly stupid decisions. The fact that they are ancient and therefore have ossified brains explains why their decisions are so bad. I mean, one would be hard put to figure out a worse set of decisions than they've made over the last year and a half with respect to dealing with the adverse publicity about molestation.???

I haven't heard many in this place criticize the ossified brains of the governing body. They choose to pick on gastric problems and problems with the chewing of steak. What do those things have to do with ossified brains and bad decisions?

???No one really knows what any specific set of leaders would do. But the odds are that they wouldn't consistently make the very worst decisions that could be made. Younger men tend to be somewhat less arrogant than the old geezers who have been bowed down to for decades and have become overconfident that they are not to be questioned.???

You must have never read the Bible and you know next to nothing about human nature. LOL. Young guys can be as arrogant as the next man. Plus they are inexperienced. Most guys become humbler as they get older because they realize what fools we mortals be.

???: Younger folks may not suffer from ossification but they often suffer from another syndrome. Manure filled diapers that they are not able to change.

Why would they do that? They have sisters in Bethel who do that for the GB.???

The governing body may have literal manure in their pants because of age but young ones often have figurative manure because they are immature. They have not seen the world and know hardly anything about life and serving God. Wisdom mainly resides in those of advanced years.

• comforter
    comforter

???I do not believe I owe them ANY amount of respect - they have not earned it, and they have not shown it to their "flock"

Matthew 23:11-13 He who is greatest among you shall be your servant; whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted. "But woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! because you shut the kingdom of heaven against men; for you neither enter yourselves, nor allow those who would enter to go in.

???

You might remember that Jesus also encouraged people to listen and do what the Pharisees said, even though they were hypocritical. Jesus said that the Pharisees taught what was proper but did not act in harmony with what they told others to do. So I am not sure sure that Jesus would have picked on some old Pharisee about his gastric disorder. He would have at least shown respect for the Pharisee's age.

Thanks for the compassion.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit