Respect Your Elders!

by comforter 78 Replies latest jw friends

• Undecided
    Undecided

Hey Neb,

I'm getting scared, they are smarter than me, I can't keep them out of my attic.

Ken P.

• hillary_step
    hillary_step
    Even if it is, I do not think that one should disrepect old age as such. Like I said, I think the pope is supporting a false religious system. He is getting old and his judgment is probably also affected. Yet I am not going to conflate old age with bad decisions or judgments that the pope may make.

Read what you have just read. You have done exactly that....lol

The GB are old, their judgment is also 'probably affected'. They should then step aside before they kill any more innocent people with these decisions. Until then they run the risk of having their age linked with their 'bad judgement'

HS

• comforter
    comforter

???The GB has four men in their mid-ninties who are STILL scumbags. They have several others in their eighties who are STILL scumbags. And these ancient scumbags are grooming their younger members in all the finer points of being scumbags.???

Go ahead and assuage your conscience, Farkel, with all of these non sequiturs. Just because X is B does not mean that he should be treated with C. But if it makes you feel better . . .

• comforter
    comforter

Step sir

???Read what you have just read. You have done exactly that....lol??

I disagree, sir. You fail to understand what I am saying. I am not conflating speaking ill of the pope's practices with speaking ill of his old age. Now do you understand what I meant by conflation.

???The GB are old, their judgment is also 'probably affected'. They should then step aside before they kill any more innocent people with these decisions. Until then they run the risk of having their age linked with their 'bad judgement'???

Old age has pretty much nothing to do with decisions made by governing body. Put young ones in their place and they would think pretty much the same way, even if they were not trained by Jaracz. The belief in things like no blood is firmly fixed in jw culture because it is thought to be a Bible belief. The gb do not make such decisions because they are old.

And for all you said, nothing you mentioned justifies talking harshly about the pope's gastric problems or his inability to walk without help.

• Farkel
    Farkel

: Go ahead and assuage your conscience, Farkel,

Nothing to assuage. I don't have one.

: with all of these non sequiturs.

They are quite relevant. Scumbags don't deserve respect, dummy, no matter what their age. Would you respect Adolph Hitler more if he lived to be in his nineties? Explain your answer.

: Just because X is B does not mean that he should be treated with C.

If the "B" is manslaughter, lying, hypocrisy, manipulating peoples lives, wanton destruction of families and marriages, and protecting child predators, then I agree that they should not be treated with "C." They should be treated with "C,D,E,F,G,H,I,J" and a lot more.

: But if it makes you feel better . . .

Yeah, it makes me feel better, "comforter." Calling scumbags for what they are always makes me feel better.

Farkel

• Bang
    Bang

Nothing you have said justifies disrecting an old person as such.

That's right, I simply pointed to why it happens.

You seem to emply a type of what is good for the goose argument.

It may seem that way to you, but it's more an observation of how they are 'reaping what they sew'.

Bang

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Comforter,

Yes, I do understand what you mean by conflate.

You perhaps do not understand the point I am making. This is not just a matter of old age. The GB is derided not for being old and suffering the ills of old age, this is merely the peg on which is hung a disrespect for all that they stand for.

Look at my first post regarding the seventy three year old JW women who referred to the GB as a 'repulsive bunch of old men. Why do you think I mentioned this?

You are approaching this issue in a facile way, not taking into account that people deride even the fifty-four year olds on the GB. This is not ageism at work, this is plain old disrespect at play.

Most on this Board have parents some of similar age to the GB yet they do not deride them for their age. Why not? Because their decisions have not harmed people.

Raymond Franz is in his eighties, yet you will not read one word of disrespect regarding his age? Tell me, why not?

Are you beginning to understand?

Best regards - HS

• JT
    JT

Most cultures throughout human history have encouraged the young to show the utmost respect for their elders
    ########

this is a very interesting post, in most cultures where this display of respect is shown it has always been due to the fact that the elders have earned this type of respect thru years of exp and imparting wisdom to the younger folks,

as a result they are entitled to being respected, as often state respect is Earned.

it is not given by default simply due to ones age as often believed

it is due to most elders give wisdom and insight and understanding to younger folks..
    now let us consider what wt elders/older ones have given to thier young folks

1. don';t plan for your future- no college, retirement, no kids

2. go to jail instead of taking the job at the hospital cause that is gods will- then changing it and blaming jw who went to jail for having TOO STRICT OFA CONSIECNE

3. YOU WILL never grow old and die since the world will end before the 1914 gen dies off- opps we lied on that one too.

4, you gotto die instead of taking that kidney downstairs in the cooler at the hospital- the next week they tell you that you could have taken it but you are dead

5, if you husband has oral sex - you can scriptually get a divorce and remarry- oops it ain't scriptuall no more so you can't get that divorce and remarry- for those of you who have already done so

don't worry about it it too late.- i will discuss this later in a thread

and the list goes on and on- so it could be that folks are laughing at them is due to the fact that they have failed so badly in demostrating anything worthy of causing other to respect them

besides how do you respect a person who has caused the death and suffering of millions.

according to YOUR THEORY if Hitler was alive today YOU WOULD SHOW HIM RESPECT AND HONOR AS WELL

you really need to look at the big picture- old age does not AUTOMATTICALLY GIVE YOU RESPECt NEVER FORGET THAT MY FRIEND

• detective
    detective

Comforter said:

I think that different issues are being conflated. Just because elderly men have spent their entire lives in Bethel and may have not been exposed to living in the world gives no one the reason to disrespect these men on the basis of their age. One does not have to conflate old age with the other issues.

One year on a deserted island will no doubt effect your judgment. But sixty or seventy years of isolation in fantasyland? Hmmmmm...

Comforter, how do you feel about mandatory re-testing for drivers licenses every ten years?

• comforter
    comforter

???: Go ahead and assuage your conscience, Farkel,

Nothing to assuage. I don't have one.???

You have one. It is probably just desensitized.

???: with all of these non sequiturs.

They are quite relevant. Scumbags don't deserve respect, dummy, no matter what their age. Would you respect Adolph Hitler more if he lived to be in his nineties? Explain your answer.???

Respect has two faces (aspects). One is negative and the other is positive. While I would have trouble rendering Hitler positive respect, I would still render him negative respect. I would not deride his gastric problems or his inability to chew steak. For such problems have nothing to do with Hitler's character per se. If I lived under his regime, I would also postively respect Hitler in another way, without obeying his dastardly dictates.

???: Just because X is B does not mean that he should be treated with C.

If the "B" is manslaughter, lying, hypocrisy, manipulating peoples lives, wanton destruction of families and marriages, and protecting child predators, then I agree that they should not be treated with "C." They should be treated with "C,D,E,F,G,H,I,J" and a lot more.???

For the simple-mided amongst us, it does not follow that because aged Grumpy is a jerk, you must take the opportunity to put down his gastric disorders.

???: But if it makes you feel better . . .

Yeah, it makes me feel better, "comforter." Calling scumbags for what they are always makes me feel better.???

I think it makes you feel better to deny your blatant disrespect for older persons.

H Step

???Yes, I do understand what you mean by conflate.???

I have no doubt that you do. You just fail to understand how I am applying it in this context.

???You perhaps do not understand the point I am making. This is not just a matter of old age. The GB is derided not for being old and suffering the ills of old age, this is merely the peg on which is hung a disrespect for all that they stand for.???

The Gb is derided for a lot of reasons. I can understand some of these reasons. I do not understand why some in this place compund their criticisms of the governing body with the gerontological slams. The ageism manifested in this place serves as more than a peg. It is the ground of the overt disrepect shown in this place.

???Look at my first post regarding the seventy three year old JW women who referred to the GB as a 'repulsive bunch of old men. Why do you think I mentioned this????

To try and make a point?

???You are approaching this issue in a facile way, not taking into account that people deride even the fifty-four year olds on the GB. This is not ageism at work, this is plain old disrespect at play.???

They do deride the not so old ones on the governing body. That much is true. But I am talking about explicit statements in this place that were directed toward the older members specifically. You are giving the gerontological bigots in this place too much credit.

???Most on this Board have parents some of similar age to the GB yet they do not deride them for their age. Why not? Because their decisions have not harmed people.???

Everybody makes decisions that harm others. Many parents inadverently harm their children regularly.

???Raymond Franz is in his eighties, yet you will not read one word of disrespect regarding his age? Tell me, why not????

Because Ray tells these people what they want to hear. He can be used in support of their ignoble ends.

???Are you beginning to understand????

I understand all right. A lot of people in this place think it is right to disrespect old people as such. From now on, I am going to compound my disrepect of the pope's policies and beliefs with his old age. Hey, I will use his age as a peg to hang my disrepect on. That is the ticket. Not!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit