need clarification: i told my wife the type and anti-type abolishment made the FDS a parable and not factual. boy did this piss her off

by goingthruthemotions 23 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• goingthruthemotions
    goingthruthemotions

thanks lost.....i hear you....i will stop. when she attacks, i just need to dodge and move....kinda like a boxer.

shalom

• FusionTheism
    FusionTheism

It's not impossible to discuss religious doctrine with JWs, you just have to be very careful.

You must assume the role of a student, and allow the JW to be the Bible teacher.

You can ask questions as long as they are genuine and don't sound aggressive or antagonistic.

Ask them questions which will cause them to do research that will bring up doubts.

And explain that you truly do want to better understand the reasoning and evidence behind the JW doctrine, so that you can make the truth your own.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Tell your wife it's better to be pissed off than pissed on.

• goingthruthemotions
    goingthruthemotions
    LOL Oubliette....
  • Ding
    Ding

Sometimes it's easy to forget the extent to which we ourselves bought into some of the same stuff and made the same excuses that drive us nuts now.

We also tend to think that the things that led us to see TTATT will lead others to see it as well. Not necessarily so.

Give her space. She probably knows what you are thinking even if you don't say it. If so, you don't need to say it.

Listen more than you talk. If she says anything that shows independent thinking, don't appear too happy about it and don't say, "I told you so." Just listen to her and invite her to elaborate. If she gets upset, back off.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Those were very good questions:

1. if we're living in the end times, why is the org still building and asking for money?
    2. why is the anointed number keep going up?
    3. i told her the abolishment of the type and anti-type made the FDS a parable and not actual. she than asked who is the FDS...i told her that we are all the FDS. this pissed her off
    4. i asked her why don't we hear news about all the pedophile cases.

Especially number 3.

• DarioKehl
    DarioKehl
    Will she ever be pissed enough to rat you out to the elders or separate? If you have a loving relationship otherwise, it may be best to tread lightly. She's holding enough cards to drastically change your life: out you as apostate, separate & fight for majority custody of your kids, get you DF'ed...
  • James Mixon
    James Mixon

We here have had our eyes open for others it may take some time.

Annie Dillard essay "Seeing".

She tells an anecdote of newly sighted patients, blind from birth, who had

cataract operations that restored their sight. Contrary to what you may expect--

that the experience of finally seeing after many years of blindness will be a

beautiful and almost ecstatic one---some of these patients find the "tremendous

size of the world" oppressing. It may take weeks, months, and even years to

adjust to the dramatic increase in stimuli; some even choose to "lose" or not

make use of their newly acquired sense.

For them, seeing is traumatic. What they see doesn't match what they had imagined.

• steve2
    steve2

You don't sound very supportive and respectful of your wife's right to her own religious views. It sounds like you chip, chip, chip away at her beliefs. That just puts her on the defense. Fusion Theism asks a good question about how you'd feel if she were to attack anyone or anything you loved, you wouldn't be sweetness and light then, would you?

How would things go if you were gentler, more understanding, better able to stand back and see her take on things? I'd bet you wouldn't need some spiritual entity such as "Jesus" to intervene - you'd take normal adult responsibility for your own behaviour and modify it accordingly. Best!

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy
    Just show luke 12:41, Peter said it was just a parable.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit