How much sediment would have been moved in Noah's flood?

by Zoos 26 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Zoos
    Zoos

I flew over this crate yesterday on my return home from Las Vegas.

They say this crater was created by an asteroid about 50,000 years ago. Then about 6000 years ago, presumably, God wiped out all life on earth with a global flood.

How much sediment would have been moved around during that flood. Would this crater still be visible like this?

More info on crater: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meteor_Crater

• marmot
    marmot
    Scientists are godless liars. That crater was actually made by Satan to confuse you.
  • Magnum
    Magnum
    Wow! Interesting question. I have a lot of questions about the flood account, but I've never thought about what you mentioned. It seems to me that a global flood would have changed the crater from the way it looks today unless maybe the earth around it was heated enough from the impact to fuse the materials together forming a hard surface.
  • OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

The Neanderthals had a tall structure there and survived the flood with provisions. They may have had the dinosaurs with them. When the water was subsiding and they were about to get down onto the dry earth again, God blasted this structure with so much energy that the building material disintegrated without a trace of it nor the neanderthals nor the dinosaurs.

There's a silly answer for everything. They stop being silly when enough (religious) people adopt them.

• hoser
    hoser

Good question. I came up with 3 possibilities.

1. The crater isn't as old as they say it is.

2. The global flood isnt as recent as creationists believe it is.

3. The flood was an embellished localized event and the water never reached northern Arizona.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Then about 6000 years ago, presumably, God wiped out all life on earth with a global flood.

So what your saying is that this like all other ancient mythological story telling is fictional ?

and that they were compelled to tell stories like this out their own ignorance of the world they lived in.

That the story of the Flood of Noah was just told to create power and relevance to the God the ancient Hebrews were worshiping at the time YHWH ?

• JakeM2012
    JakeM2012

Great Point

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries

I have no doubt there was a flood event, but taking into account the biblical side of it, the entire physical Earth wouldn't be needed only where humans had lived.

Having travel to Israel, Jordan, etc, I learned some things and had some observations. Israel is the lowest point in the world, the area around the dead sea, and Jerusalem is 1371 feet BELOW sea level. When I was in Jordan, the Wadi Rum desert there is a water line on the tops of all the rock/mountain like formations showing the area had been deep under water at some point in time. It's very likely if humans originated in that general area of the world that it would be completely flooded without it everything. To all human inhabited Earth, all areas humans lived could have been flooded while areas without humans were not.

Recent evidence shows most of the water on Earth did not originate here, came after Earth's formation. Also read hypothesis about Earth potentially having had a ice ring similar to Saturn, all of this could support the flood gates of heaven opening up. (If aside from some event causing localized flooding, if there used to be a lot more dry land and those areas are under sea now).

• purrpurr
    purrpurr

I adore debunking the flood story!

Every ancient culture has some story of a flood probably because floods can happen and do happen everywhere. These days we know why this is but in the stone age or bronze age they made up stories to explain it.

For the sake ofargument though, if there really had been a global flood, which moved the continents/mountains/valleys to their current position ( as JW's claim) that would have destroyed every last land growing vegetation. The ground afterwards would be a wasteland of mud, sand and rocks. No seeds or bulbs would have survived and it is doubtful that the ground would be in a fit state to grow anything in.

In short there is no way that a olive tree could have survived for Noah's dove to pluck a sprig off!

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

I have no doubt there was a flood event, but taking into account the biblical side of it, the entire physical Earth wouldn't be needed only where humans had lived.

The only problem with that assertion is that there were ancient civilizations living in both North and South America at the time of the supposed flood occurring ...... oppsy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit