By “evolution,” we mean “macroevolution”—apes turning into humans, for example.

by FadingTruth 76 Replies latest watchtower bible

• LisaRose
    LisaRose
    (Besides, I think a strong argument could be made that, genetically, humans are a subset of ape. We're really closely related to them, that's for damn sure.)

According to the National Geographic, we share 96% of our genome with Apes. I guess Jehovah was tired by then and didn't want to start from scratch.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

we share 96% of our genome with Apes

The genome of men is more similar to the genome of apes than to the genome of women.

I use that to excuse my sense of humor and behavior on many occasions.

• konceptual99
    konceptual99
    The genome of men is more similar to the genome of apes than to the genome of women.
    I use that to excuse my sense of humor and behavior on many occasions.

Hi Billy,

Does this not depend on how you count the similarities in base pairs rather than genes and it's really the genes that matter? Plus I thought it was women and female chimps that were closer and even then only on the basis that you accept a 98.7% similarity in base pairs as opposed to 95% that has been proposed in more recent years?

• FusionTheism
    FusionTheism

First I just want to say I fully accept what science says about evolution, even though I have a strong Christian faith in Jesus and the Bible.

There are many, many ways that the Bible can harmonize with and complement modern science.

It's a deceptive false controversy to argue that you can only accept science OR God.

This is not an either/or situation.

• marmot
    marmot

If you accept evolution, then how can you accept the Bible's chronology that states the first man appeared on earth roughly 6,000 years ago?

It IS an either/or situation. Either the bible is true (it isn't) or evolution is.

• cofty
    cofty
    There are many, many ways that the Bible can harmonize with and complement modern science.

I disagree.

How can a book written by Iron Age nomads complement science?

Christianity is anti-scientific. Faith and facts are polar opposites.

• Oubliette
  • Oubliette
  • Oubliette
  • konceptual99
    konceptual99
    First I just want to say I fully accept what science says about evolution, even though I have a strong Christian faith in Jesus and the Bible.
    It's a deceptive false controversy to argue that you can only accept science OR God.
    This is not an either/or situation.

As I started to wake up, evolution was one the things that I was really struggling to harmonise with the Bible. I really wished I could have it both ways but the more I looked into evolution and the more I thought about the ineffectualness of God the more it simply became impossible for me to accept that evolution could have anything to do with any God and that everything around me pointed to the whole concept of God being illogical.

The Bible has added the sum total of zero items of any note to the body of scientific knowledge. Science owes zero to the Bible and everything to man questioning the world around him and being prepared to ignore the preconceptions enforced through religious belief.

I accept that there are many people who do accept evolution and have a faith in God. I respect their (and your) right to hold this view. All I am saying is that In my deconstruction of my beliefs I very quickly got over this possibility as to me there is almost as little logic and reason in it as my original beliefs as a Witness.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit