Steve Pinker ... evidence on the surprising decline in violence

by digderidoo 52 Replies latest jw friends

• cofty
    cofty

God isn't making this clear so that any random people 'believe'; as if his goal were to simply get people to 'believe' he exists.

Wow. Circular thinking at it's absolute worse.

God wrote a book full of errors and contradictions so that not too many people would be gullible enough to believe in him. Got it, thanks.

You want to believe in god and an inspired book regardless of the evidence. I used to be the same.

Faith is NOT a virtue.

• SingleCell
    SingleCell

No, not circular reasoning.

"Baked into the cake" because of this notion:

For it is written: “I will make the wisdom of the wise men perish, and the intelligence of the intellectuals I will reject.”

Where is the wise man?

Where is the scribe?

Where is the debater of this system of things?

Has not God made the wisdom of the world foolish?

The haughtiness of man blinds him from the truth Jesus Christ revealed. Hence, God is in effect blinding the 'wise'.

And further:

but God chose the foolish things of the world to put the wise men to shame;

and God chose the weak things of the world to put the strong things to shame;

and God chose the insignificant things of the world and the things looked down on, the things that are not, to bring to nothing the things that are,

so that no one might boast in the sight of God

So, as you can see, this isn't 'circular reasoning' but evidence (as it has occured as stated) that God is behind these writings.

• cofty
    cofty

So anybody who is content for his beliefs to be comensurate with the evidence is "haughty".

Typical theist ad homenem response.

• SingleCell
    SingleCell

Actually, ad homenem would be invalidating your argument because of some perceived problem with YOU.

Not what I'm doing.

Rather, I'm responding as to why God 'cloaked' (encrypted) this message.

The point of 1 Corinthians 1 is God invalidating man from saying "I already know" (or, I know better) we don't need to learn from you.

We DO need to learn from him. We are all idiots, look at the world!

• cofty
    cofty

We DO need to learn from him

There is not a single thing that theism has contributed to the sum of human knowledge.

We have literally nothing to learn from god or any holy book.

There is a whole universe of things to learn. The world is so exciting and full of potential. Get your head out one of the most facile books ever written and start learning.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

It's difficult to even know how to respond to your posts, SingleCell, because there's so many untested assumptions. You've built up a skyscraper's worth of scientific and intellectual rationalizations on a foundation of sand (it reminds me of myself a couple years ago, though I think you've gone even further into the madness than I did).

But I'm curious how you can say that any of the prophecies about Jesus (which were actually about a Jewish king, not a teacher or the son of God) were fulfilled. We don't even know if Jesus existed and much of his specific teachings bear the mark of a later hand who wanted to put words in his mouth for didactic or pseudo-prophetic purposes. We certainly don't know where he was born (according to the Gospels, he was born twice, in Nazareth and in Bethlehem, with separate lineages each time) or how he died (executed by the Romans because the Jews clamored for it, but there's no record of such a freak occurrence made by the Romans?).

• Island Man
    Island Man

" Faith is NOT a virtue."

Amen! This is one of the single greatest truths that christians and many other religionists are blind to. Faith is perhaps the greatest false axiom of religion. It only takes a little bit of rational thinking to see that faith really is a bad attribute. No God who is truly wise will value faith as a virtue because faith actually makes one vulnerable to deception. Faith is really just the enobling of credulity; the respectable adult version of 'make believe'. It is because of faith that there are hundreds of conflicting religions and beliefs. Faith is the justification to believe falsehoods without evidence or despite contradicting evidence. Faith is the bait used by religious con men to get you to accept their unproven false claims.

I am convinced that religionists very early on in human history, having realized that religious beliefs are unproven and can easily be logically debunked, devised the concept of faith to guilt their followers into believing them instead of following rational thought and escaping the delusion. Religionsist did not want to lose their followers and their power so they started saying: "If you don't believe God will be displeased. God wants you to believe even without hard evidence. God hates doubters. Do you want to be punished by God for not believing?"

• SingleCell
    SingleCell

Oh I'm mad baby, and loving every minute of it!

Cofty: the world would function perfectly if we followed the Sermon on the Mount

So I'm not sure where you are coming from with that statement.

Note: Christianity produced modern science ... Keppler, Nicholas of Cuza, etc.

Similarly, Western legal conceptions.

• SingleCell
    SingleCell

Island man, you are confusing 'blind faith' with the biblical conception found at Hebrews 11

the evident demonstrationof realities that are not seen.

For by means of it, the men of ancient times* had witness borne to them.

Christian faith is evidence based.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

Note: Christianity produced modern science

What aspects of Christianity led to the development of the scientific method? Or do you simply mean that most early scientists were Christian because that was the culture they were immersed in?

Similarly, Western legal conceptions.

Those are based in common sense. Common sense predates the laws of the Jews, as seen in the Code of Hammurabi and other older documents than the Torah.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit