Steve Pinker ... evidence on the surprising decline in violence

by digderidoo 52 Replies latest jw friends

• digderidoo
    digderidoo

This is an interesting lecture. One that flies in the face of current JW and I assume most non JW thinking. Evidence shows that when examining history mankind was more violent over the centuries than they were during the 20th and 21st Century. Pinker argues that we are just more savvy now when it comes to reporting, the idea that we live in a more violent society today is a myth and not supported by evidence.

http://www.ted.com/talks/steven_pinker_on_the_myth_of_violence

• cofty
    cofty

His book "The Better Angels of our Nature" is a must-read for all exJWs.

• Jeannette
    Jeannette

Fluoride? In our water, in our food.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

His book "The Better Angels of our Nature" is a must-read for all exJWs.

This is absolutely true. Loved this book.

I will add, however, that it is probably not for everybody as it is thick with statistics, which some find boring/unaccessible.

So at the very least, take it out from your local library (almost guaranteed to have it) and give it a try.

• SingleCell
    SingleCell

Isn't it the 'falling away from God' that is the real 'sign of the times'?

As in 'lawlessness' and the 'tearing off the chains' of God and his annointed.

My takeaway from the prophecies is that during a time of relative PEACE is when the conclusion begins

Unless you are citing the 'rumors of wars' that the Matthew 24 mentions?

In any event, the Bible says that a time 'free from care' is when the hammer drops, coinciding with Steve's research.

He will bring ruin in an extraordinary way,and he will be successful and act effectively. He will bring mighty ones to ruin, also the people made up of the holy ones.

And by his cunning he will use deception to succeed; and in his heart he will exalt himself; and during a time of security he will bring many to ruin. He will even stand up against the Prince of princes, but he will be broken without human hand.

Daniel 8:24-25

• cofty
    cofty

In any event, the Bible says that a time 'free from care' is when the hammer drops, coinciding with Steve's research

I have never heard him referred to as "Steve" before.

Have you read his book?

• SingleCell
    SingleCell

I have not read his book.

But presuming the point is that the Western world's incidence of violence has declined dramatically, as our societies interconnect and provide employement, I would have to agree [and from a prophetic standpoint, exactly what I've been looking to substantiate].

The 'marauding bandit' has been effectively put out of business.

IMO, this is the period of 'peace' where the 'chain' of God's word is removed and replaced with humanism.

The foretold 'great falling away' so obviously happening within Christianity now.

(the post's title is 'Steve' Pinker ;)

• JeffT
    JeffT

So increased wars and violence mean that it's almost time for God's Kingdom to arrive.

Inreased peace and less violence mean that it's almost time for God's Kingdome to arrive.

This is a great example of an unfalsifyable hypothesis.

• SingleCell
    SingleCell

Context Jeff :)

The overarching theme of the 'system' leading to the conclusion is a 'period free from care', a falling away from Christianity, and an increase in lawlessness.

Immediately preceding the authentic return of Christ there are 'wars and rumors of wars'.

• cofty
    cofty

The overarching theme of the 'system' leading to the conclusion is a 'period free from care'.

In what possible way could any part of the world in 21st century be described as "free from care"?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit