OMG! The world is worse than ever! This system can't last! Violence is increasing! Wait, what's that you say?

by sir82 39 Replies latest jw friends

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

The 'post-roman system' ... what in the world are you talking about?

Are you talking about the Western Civilization or the entire world? Can you tell the difference? Because, for all of Americas, Oceania, sub-Sahara Africa and Eastern Asia there was never a 'Roman' era to begin with. And what form of "Roman" system are you talking about? The Kingdom period? The Republic? The unified empire? The dual empire? The Roman empire of the east? Don't BS me with the notion that Charles Magne revived the Holy Roman Empire - because if you do, then you just as well need to be coherent and admit that the Roman papacy is still to this day a continuation of the old Roman Empire. Oh wait - you can't, because it would render the 'post-roman system' notion invalid.

SC, you have bought into the whole JW reinterpretation of world history, where only the tidbits that seem to fit the prophetic interpretation aren't ignored and presented as 'evidence' to support a certain Bible view. I used to do the same, and thought I was very smart [because my average school mates and work mates didn't care s**t about these matters and every JW I knew would never research anything beyond WT literature]; but that all changed when I started seriously researching outside WT literature. Now I realize how willfully ignorant I used to be. I still have a lot to learn, about so many things - I wish I had the time for everything, I wish I had valued education even more when I went to University - but, for all my incipient knowledge, I'm proud to have quit being the willing ignorant. You too should try that. It's both humbling and liberating.

Eden

• steve2
    steve2

What's that old saying? Each successive generation thinks that the generation after it has gone to the dogs and therefore, a fall is imminent.

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

I will miss Dumbass. He's been a faithful friend and loyal companion.

Goodbye, sweet prince. Parting has torn my heart asunder.

I promised myself I wouldn't cry...

• AndersonsInfo
    AndersonsInfo

I was so impressed by what Finkelhor wrote in a recent Washington Post article about the behavior of today’s youths getting better that I wrote an article about it and posted it on my website. Today, when I saw that “sir82” quoted Finkelhor’s words on this thread as follows, I decided to point readers to more information.

Finkelhor wrote as quoted by sir82 at the beginning of this thread:

“Kids are undoubtedly safer than they were in the past. In a review of the literature on violence against children in the United States published earlier this year, the sociologist David Finkelhor and his colleagues reported, “Of 50 trends in exposure examined, there were 27 significant declines and no significant increases between 2003 and 2011. Declines were particularly large for assault victimization, bullying, and sexual victimization.”

See more evidence taken from Finkelhor’s statements in my article, “Youths are surprising us” where statistics show that the behavior of our youths is changing for the better: http://watchtowerdocuments.org/youths-are-surprising-us/

“Youths are surprising us”

As far back as the first century BC, youths were criticized by the Greeks for their bad manners, contempt for authority, tyrannizing their teachers, love of luxury, etc., but Grecian writers didn’t attribute that behavior as a sign of the end of the Grecian world.

It appears that throughout history, adults were not happy with the general disobedience of young people and it was not any different in the 19th-century and 20th-century. If asked, most adults, during these centuries and before, thought that youths’ behavior was worse than ever.

However, Jehovah’s Witnesses have taken bad behavior on the part of the young to mean fulfillment of Bible prophecy. Since the beginning of their religion in the late 19 th -century, they have contended that disobedience of young people is on the increase and is one of the marks of the “last days.” Here are some examples of this:

Read More: http://watchtowerdocuments.org/youths-are-surprising-us/

• DisArmed
    DisArmed

A Dumbass by any other name would...

• berrygerry
    berrygerry

Looking at Barbara's recent post about Rutherford and this one.

WT 7/15/1951

Furthermore, in 1925, for the first time, it was seen and understood that the Kingdom was actually born in 1914, that it was a fact. No longer was it a matter of proclaiming the time had come for the Kingdom, that the day was here for Satan’s world to end, but the Kingdom had come and was ruling from heaven, and already a war in heaven had been fought. The Watchtower for March 1, 1925, published this information.

What was taught about the war in heaven in the 1800's?

• SingleCell
    SingleCell

Eden, how you doing man?

Actually, I'm referencing the Roman 'iron' system which came into Europe and permuted into the nation-state system we call the 'West' today.

The figurative 'iron and clay'.

This 'empire' is plainly referenced in Daniel 2, and 7.

Not to be confused with a spurious framework similar to the Daniel 11 UK-KoTN / US-KoTS conception I know you are familiar with.

(which, on the surface, is clearly referencing Ptolemy and Selecus -whereby Robert King reads the US-UK dichotomy into)

• Zordino
    Zordino

The World WILL get even better if technology and education keeps advancing. And the Earth has about 800 years worth of hydro carbon type energy. I'm sure renewables and other clean energy sources will replace most if not all of our Energy needs by the end of this century.

Humans have 2 major problems to overcome. One is of course is the Pollution problem and the other is our ability to destroy life by way of nuclear weapons. In 20, 50,100 years from now some nut jobs may get their hands on nuclear weapons and use them. That's the greatest threat of all.

• Zordino
    Zordino

Single Cell, please stop with the gobldy goop about ancient religious scribblings. They are absolutely meaningless. You're hurting my brain. I admit though it's also a little entertaining.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Simon - "How about this forum rule dumbass: don't call people names!"

What if a poster's username actually is "Dumbass"?

It could happen.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit