OMG! The world is worse than ever! This system can't last! Violence is increasing! Wait, what's that you say?

by sir82 39 Replies latest jw friends

• sir82
    sir82

If you read JW literature, the world has been progressively getting "worse and worse" since 1914.

Is that really the case?

For a more rational analysis, look here:

A few highlights:

Worldwide, about five to 10 times as many people die in police-blotter homicides as die in wars. And in most of the world, the rate of homicide has been sinking.

Rates of rape or sexual assault and of violence against intimate partners have been sinking for decades, and are now a quarter or less of their peaks in the past.

Kids are undoubtedly safer than they were in the past. In a review of the literature on violence against children in the United States published earlier this year, the sociologist David Finkelhor and his colleagues reported, “Of 50 trends in exposure examined, there were 27 significant declines and no significant increases between 2003 and 2011. Declines were particularly large for assault victimization, bullying, and sexual victimization.”

By any standard, the world is nowhere near as genocidal as it was during its peak in the 1940s, when Nazi, Soviet, and Japanese mass murders, together with the targeting of civilians by all sides in World War II,

In a historically unprecedented development, the number of interstate wars has plummeted since 1945, and the most destructive kind of war, in which great powers or developed states fight each other, has vanished altogether.

The world is not falling apart. The kinds of violence to which most people are vulnerable—homicide, rape, battering, child abuse—have been in steady decline in most of the world. Autocracy is giving way to democracy. Wars between states—by far the most destructive of all conflicts—are all but obsolete. The increase in the number and deadliness of civil wars since 2010 is circumscribed, puny in comparison with the decline that preceded it, and unlikely to escalate.

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest you won't see any of these reports in "Watching the World" any time soon.

If anyone is thinking "But what if the WTS is right, and we really are living in the last days?", hopefully the cold hard facts will provide some reassurance that they (the WTS) are utterly full of hogwash.

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

Thanks for that.

Hilarious in that new WT they crow about how 'peaceful conditions' have helped them out in their preaching work. Confused much?

• Simon
    Simon

Hilarious in that new WT they crow about how 'peaceful conditions' have helped them out in their preaching work. Confused much?

Brilliant - the world is so much more peaceful it's easier than ever to go tell people our message of how the world is getting so bad it needs to be destroyed.

So let me get this right - since Satan was cast down to earth in 1914 he's been ruling and things have gotten *better*.

I vote for him!

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

Guys, guys !

A better world doesn't sell magazines, result in more hits on JW.Org or keep people enslaved within the protection of "God's Organization".

Please keep this good news to yourself.

Carry on.

• Separation of Powers
    Separation of Powers

Yes...exactly.

I have always been amazed at JWs because they put SOOO much emphasis on numbers and statistics. They pride themselves on memorial attendance, hours in the ministry etc. Yet, when you use statistics to make your case they challenge.

I had the same conversation with my brother (hard core JW scary). I mentioned the decrease in major crimes and the increase in social improvements. He said, "Well, you know, the Bible does say that things will get better right before the tribulation."

Cant win

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

WT's mantra hasn't changed in 120 years. Check this out:

"Now, in view of recent labor troubles and threatened anarchy, our readers are writing to know if there may not be a mistake in the 1914 date. They do not see how present conditions can hold out so long under the strain. We see no reason for changing the figures - nor could we change them if we would. They are, we believe, God's dates, not ours. But bear in mind that the end of 1914 is not the date for the beginning, but for the end of the time of trouble."

-- Zion's Watch Tower 1894 Jul 15 p.226

• NVR2L8
    NVR2L8

....are we to expect the "peace and security" call from the nations....lol

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

He said, "Well, you know, the Bible does say that things will get better right before the tribulation."

It always amazed me (even as a more or less believing JW) how people could say things like this and not realize that it's just hedging against any eventuality. Whatever happens, they'll say Ha! the bible predicted this! the end must be so close! This hedging was actually one of my principle doubts early on.

In any event, the bible says nothing about the gradual improvement we're seeing. It says there will be a widespread cry of peace and security and then the end will be INSTANTLY upon them. I guess that wouldn't make a difference, though...if "soon" encompasses the last 130 years, then "instantly" could well last long enough that everyone forgets the cry of peace and security anyway.

Even without that, though, this sort of long-term trend completely disproves the WTs basic premise - that mankind cannot solve their problems or make anything better and we NEED god's intervention. Meanwhile, humans have been solving their problems left and right for centuries. I just can't wait until 1 Corinthians 15:26 sees fulfillment: " And the last enemy, [religion], is to be brought to nothing." (sorry, my desire for intellectual honesty won't let me remove the brackets on the changed word)

• Isle of Lewis
    Isle of Lewis

Violence, war, mayhem, & disease = JWs are right, Armageddon is near!

Peace & Security = JWs are right, Armageddon is near!

• clarity
    clarity

Isle of Lewis.......... right on!

Welcome!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit