Emblem Takers Mentally Unstable?

by Cold Steel 24 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel

OnTheWayOut wrote: Of course, for quite awhile (and probably still), congregations have been viewing any relatively young (maybe under 50 or even 60) partakers as mentally unstable and Watchtower ignores such people anyway and says they must listen to the elders.

Is this correct? Ever since the emblem-takers were given emeritus status as members of the Faithful and Discreet Slave, have they been relegated to standard membership? What is the purpose of the “Heavenly Class” of people on the earth? Do you know any of the “elect” who have left “the Truth”?

Or do you know any Heavenly Class members at your KH? How are they generally regarded — as crackpots, holy, rabbinic? If you’re of the Earthly Class and your best friend believes he or she is part of the Heavenly Class, if you were a faithful member, would you tend to believe or disbelieve them?

Finally, why is the Governing Body so convinced that the numbers of the Heavenly Class should be diminishing? Doesn’t anyone have the right to be in that body, regardless of what time they lived? Are they still considered part of the FDS?

• runForever
    runForever

When I was going anyone semi-young was considered nuts or just wacked so basically 50 and below. To have that 'anointed' buzz around you you have to be established already, you have to have a long while being known as 'anointed' and then people are very, intrigued, reverent, in awe almost. I know I was to some extent of people who I genuinely believed were going to heaven.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

Since the announcement in the Thirties (I think) that there was an earthly class, the number of partakers (heavenly class) steadily declined, and they taught that the 144,000 had been all been selected, so there wasn't room for any more. Then the numbers started rising again, and they decided that some who had previously partook, but then left the organization, were not replaced until they died, which explained the rising numbers.

I have been gone a while, so I don't know if the numbers are rising still, or even if they report the numbers now. When I was in, people were skeptical of any new partakers, especially if they were known to have mental health issues, which they often did. My personal feeling is that some people are just prone to altered states of consciousness, and the only way they can make sense of it is to believe they are of the anointed. Of the ones I was well aquainted with, one had anorexia, one was bipolar, one had seizures and one had episodes of fugue states where they acted co mpletely different, childlike and silly, then didn't remember the whole episode later.

They are no longer part of the FDS, they got demoted, now it's just the GB.

• NAVYTOWN
    NAVYTOWN

In my San Diego congregation, the lone elderly partaker was rather senile. When he made comments the elders sometimes snickered. In my Washington state congregation, the lone partaker was an unusually boring and dim-witted fellow. Shortly before I stopped attending, he gave the Special Talk....it was the ultimate in boring. Plus at other times he said JWs should limit association with non- JW family and relatives. Plus he insinuated that members of the congregation needed to watch out for other members who were bad association or weak in the Truth. He was essentially solely responsible for me deciding I had had it with the JWs.

• notsurewheretogo
    notsurewheretogo

How old is the new GB member Mark Sanderson?

48 ain't he?

So....mentally unstable?

• Zordino
    Zordino

I know of a 42 yr old Elder/reg pioneer/anointed fellow. He seems nice but is a little weird. Everyone seems to believe his being one of the "chosen ones". Personally, I think they're all crack pots. :)

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Every "new" partaker (with perhaps one exception) that I am acquaited with is on Psychotropic Meds or has an ongoing battle with depression/anxiety.

NONE of the current GB members were even born before the old 1935 "cut-off" date.

Doc

• The Truth Shall Set Us FREE!
    The Truth Shall Set Us FREE!

Re: Emblem Takers Mentally Unstable?

At least those I met were closely linked to unstable minds...whether their own or their family's and close friends minds...

1. Middle-aged Greek Male. Married with 2 children. Got his alleged "calling" when his children were still young. Shortly after he took of the "emblems" for the first time, his wife (who was also a Watchtower Witness), was (reported by neighbours) standing on their porch for hours staring out into the void, contemplating / attempting to jump (they lived several floors up in a "high house"). His favourite vacation-places were big cities, and I thought that was odd, since they do not resemble the paradise nor the heaven that we were preaching about. He died an early death (i.e. before retirement age.)

2. Elderly Norwegian Woman. Widow with grown children. I met her grown daughter in town one day in 1995. She was chocked up with tears and wanted to talk (to any WT Witness I believe). We thus had tea together in a cafe, where she told me that her "anointed" mother had died. Her mother had been a former evangelical Christian, and had confided on her death bed that she had doubts about the Watchtower Organisation, and that she felt as if she had let Jesus down by becoming a Watchtower Witness. I did not know how to comfort her daughter...

3. Middle-aged Norwegian Male. Married with 3 children. He had taken the "emblems" earlier in his marriage when his children were young, believing that he was one of the anointed ones, and then he stopped believing that he was anointed, so he stopped taking the "emblems" a few years later. After this switch, he became the top leading elder of my congregation (one of my congregations anyway. I moved several times...) He and his wife’s son committed suicide and their daughter became highly promiscuous (she was seemingly in the "welcome committee" to all the foreigners that came to town, and even had a kid with her doctor. She was in and out of the Org. no less). The "previous anointed" elder and his wife became heavy on the bottle. They locked themselves inside their home every weekend to drink alcohol (even “worldly” neighbours (not of the watchtower creed) reported this). This particular elders face and nose had a clear red tint and puffiness to support the rumour that he was an alcoholic. Also, it was very well known that the witnesses were partying heavily with alcohol involved in the nineties as they defended it with that “Jesus made water into wine”.

Additionally, the previously “anointed” elder was a very good friend of my elder uncle who I HAD SEEN was heavy on the BOTTLES with my late aunt, (whom he did not even attend the funeral to, although they were still married and she was not excluded from the Watchtower... My uncle married again three months after his wife (my aunt) was buried, and he seemingly continued/s within the Watchtower Org. as a privileged elder as if nothing has happened…

• The Truth Shall Set Us FREE!
    The Truth Shall Set Us FREE!

Correction: Additionally, the previously “anointed” elder was a very good friend of my elder uncle who I HAD SEEN was heavy on the BOTTLES with my NOW late aunt, (whom my uncle did not even attend the funeral to, although they were married UNTIL SHE DIED, and she had never been excluded from the Watchtower organisation...) I had to hold the speech over my aunt at her funeral (for my mother sake, her sister), as her widower elder husband was not attending her funeral, even though I had left the Watchtower religion 3 years prior to her death!! My elder uncle was attending the coffee AFTER the funeral though...

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

This isn't necessarily answering Cold Steel's questions, but I think he's gotten some good answers to those already and I want to make a suggestion about something.

Personally I think that one of the main causes of someone deciding they are anointed is not mental instability, but rather a rationalization stemming from the fact that they feel that they are closer to Bible truths than the average person. Perhaps, in reading the Bible closely, they have realized that some Watchtower teachings do not hold up, and rather than let themselves be troubled by this, they decide that they are simply glimpsing new light ahead of the org. Perhaps a teaching actually changes in the direction they anticipated. So they conclude that they must have extra holy spirit and that they are one of the anointed. In following this thought process, it's very much an intellectual thought process rather than an emotional one.

In other cases, like TTSSUF's story of the old woman who was a former evangelical, they are Witnesses who are more emotionally tied to the concept of Jesus than the average Witness, and this causes them to feel that they must be chosen to rule with him in heaven. So the thought is actually a response to finding themselves being more properly "Christian" than the average Jehovah-centric, Jesus-ignoring Witness. Which is an emotional thought process, but not an unstable one, any more than the average Christian is "unstable".

That being said, I'm sure there are others who simply had a hallucination or a strange dream and concluded that they were anointed.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit