What is the point of the picture in this weeks study article ?

by stuckinarut2 47 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Apog, That is probably the thinking of the current GB. It's the kind of thing that Splane has said before.

The move to Warwick is a huge change from the thinking of GB 1.0 and even Russell. They recognized the importance of visibility. Anybody visiting NYC would see the WT sign across from Manhattan. Tour boats and tour buses would all point it out as a local landmark. When Patterson was being built, it was supposed to be the future home of the GB. But that didn't happen. After visiting a few times, most of the GB found it too boring, too far from the airport, with none of the excitement of NYC. After all, most of them had already lived in Brooklyn for decades. Shortly before I left, they were still talking about building on their huge DUMBO property. In fact, it was the second largest undeveloped piece of real estate in all NYC. But too much local opposition to more WT buildings. And building in the city is very, very expensive with a lot of legal and labor union hassles.

GB 2.0 has almost no history of living in the city. None of them are interested in walking right outside the bethel doors and being able to witness to victims on the promenade, like GB 1.0 often did. GB 1.0 saw how badly the NYC congregations needed the help of bethel to have elders (some congs only had bethelite elders, I think) and the ability to get KH properties (bethel had a department that helped to purchase and develop the expensive city properties). I'm sure GB 2.0 just saw the ordinary, usually poor JWs in NYC as less desirable than the somewhat wealthier JWs living outside the city. And of course, GB 2.0 sees all that money to be made by selling that Brooklyn property. Back when I was in bethel, many took pride in the notion that WT was growing and would only buy, never sell property in Broolkyn. When the huge Furman building was sold, most thought that would be a one-time deal since there was so much hassle with the Brooklyn Bridge Park project. Wrong. It's been all sell, sell, sell, because now it's all about cash.

As far as them looking for safety outside the city, if chaos broke out in NYC, they're still plenty close for "worldly" people to drive up to Warwick and pillage the property. It's not like they've moved to Nebraska.

After all, it's a cult. So you can't expect what they do to make any sense.

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

Obviously they believe that God will protect them from being wiped out by a direct attack

The GB should put their faith with their mouth is and stay in the city; what better way for A-Day J to demonstrate his saving power by shielding the GB while the rest of the city goes down in flames?

• scary21
    scary21

Does anyone think it looks like a nice new prison ? It even has a guard tower on the right side.

• Powermetal4ever
    Powermetal4ever

What is that tower there for? Looks like a typical church tower to me. Do they have bells in it too?

• pontoon
    pontoon

Likely the tower is for enjoying the lake view. It really is a beautiful site.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

"What is that tower there for? Looks like a typical church tower to me."

Great observation. Patterson has a steeple with a clock.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

Great summary, Billy. In some sense every organization has a soul - its core essence. Brooklyn has always been to core or the soul of the Watchtower. I can't help but think that they will lose something when they abandon Brooklyn Heights.

• Mr Fool
    Mr Fool

Thank God

This makes sense.

• looter
    looter

Don't you just love how ever single article from the wt/jw.org has a motive. It is always using guilt to command people.

• factfinder
    factfinder

I agree GB1.0 wanted everything open to the public, the bldgs seen by thousands every day, the signs.

GB2.0 wants everything secretive and private hidden away in the woods.

I think the new complex looks nice though, the watchtower logo needs to be a bit larger. But a jw.org sign will probably be put there and block it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit