What are you gonna do when the existence of god is disproved?

by Doltologist 86 Replies latest jw experiences

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

Humans and our knowledge base to-date are infinitesimally small in the universe. Whether humans will ever be able to see or understand things outside our universe and whether there is some extrauniverse being that controls our universe is yet to be seen.

At our current state of knowledge attempting to speak about whether there is such an influence is like two bacteria in our bowels debating whether their world is it or if maybe there is something beyond.

• cofty
    cofty

Nobody can address the question of god's existence until somebody defines god.

Believers always get incredibly shy about specifics when skeptics are around.

• Doltologist
    Doltologist

Cappytan

cappytan walks into the thread.

...he looks around...

...sees SimonSays is involved....

...cappytan exits stage right before his blood pressure rises.

It's ok for you. You can leave. I Have to stay. It's my thread. (sobs profusely and goes off to look for a razor blade).

• Doltologist
    Doltologist

Viviane

You can't disprove the existence of god

I didn't say you could. What I said was that as man's knowledge increases, god will become increasingly maginalised.

• Doltologist
    Doltologist

Cofty

Believers always get incredibly shy about specifics when skeptics are around.

Yup. I asked SimonSays to tell us all where god came from. Yes, I know. However, ain't heard squat from him since.

• Hold Me-Thrill Me
    Hold Me-Thrill Me

A STORY

There is no end to the physical universe it goes on forever. It must go on forever because if it had an end there would be something beyond that end and mankind would do all he could to get beyond that something. And if there is something beyond that end then there is no "end" only a barrier to something else. Barriers, if they exist, will not exist forever. In the physical world there is always "something" beyond a seeming barrier. So we will always be exploring and learning and breaking barriers wherever they may be found. This is what mankind has always done.

God like the endless physical universe also exists in an eternal state.

There was a time when mankind understood the material world around him only through his very limited senses. His eyes could only see the surface of things. Today he has instruments which see much deeper, much farther than his physical eye. As well as instruments that "hear" beyond the capability of our physical ears. We want to know, we want to explore. We are seekers of knowledge. The stars have always beckoned to us, the oceans have said, "cross over". This is how we are.

There have been in the past men who "crossed over" not a physical ocean but the ocean that separates man from God. They crossed over because they were being beckoned to cross over and with God's help they did cross over. They crossed over, picked up something good from the opposite shore, and returned to share it with others. Later others made the same trip and came back bearing something good to their shore.

Many today, though, stand on the shore crying out: Not enough. Not enough. Give us more or we will not believe! Give us more!

The opposite shore answers with: Be careful what you ask for. Are you ready to see the truth you seek? Are you not already quite comfortable in your disbelief?

_________

But this is just a story and should not be considered anything more than that.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Viviane: You can't disprove the existence of ... an invisible, heatless, non-corporeal floating invisible dragon in my basement.

That dragon is in my garage. I inherited him from Carl Sagan.

I like him. He doesn't eat much. The dragon, not Mr. Sagan. He's dead.

• Viviane
    Viviane
    There is no end to the physical universe it goes on forever. It must go on forever because if it had an end there would be something beyond that end and mankind would do all he could to get beyond that something.

So, you're very first sentence uses, at best, specious and speculative reasoning that relies upon conjecture and opinion. Any reasoning based that is equally useless.

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer
    But this is just a story and should not be considered anything more than that.

Thinking about our universe having an "end" along with concepts of what lay beyond that boundary only enforces in me how terribly ignorant we are of our own universe, not to mention whatever (if anything we can comprehend) is beyond. I'm not sure humans will ever have capacity to learn whatever is the engine of things like our universe.

But, of course, in our little human world that we do know something about it is better to strive to understand the greater universe than to just sit and wait for whatever comes along. On the other hand, it might not make much difference, if any, what we humans do or don't do.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Doltologist - "What are you gonna do when the existence of god is disproved?"

Play Xbox?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit