What are you gonna do when the existence of god is disproved?

by Doltologist 86 Replies latest jw experiences

• sir82
    sir82

100% of Europeans believed in god because there simply wasn't a reasonable alternative.

Huh? Where did you get that from? Source please?

There have been atheists for as long as there have been religionists.

It is true that the ratio of atheists vs. believers has been climbing steadily, but it will never reach 100%. As long as there are humans, there will be a subset who will believe in god(s). It is an irreducible part of human nature.

• Doltologist
    Doltologist

Pixel

What did the greeks or romans do when they realized there gods did not exist as they thought?

I thought that you were going to ask - 'What did the Romans ever do for us? apart from ...." for one minute there. (Old joke).

Some continued to believe in their old gods until they died (the people that is, not the gods) and some converted to christinsanity. However, a belief system, which involved a deity that the good folks of Rome and Greece could pray to, believe in and go to when they died, still existed. They probably though that their old gods still existed but their new god was bigger, better and shinier. The colour of their comfie blankie had changed but their comfie balnkie remained.

The difference now is that there's gonna be an awful lot of people upset with their church for lying to them for all these years, and, there's gonna be no deity to pray to and believe in and no one to go to when they die. Their comfie blankie isn't about to change again, it's about to disappear.

• freemindfade
    freemindfade
    I my mind the desert god has already been disproved. But those that believe will come up with any fantastic idea to preserve it. Ie 2+2=5. That will never end no matter how much proof sadly. "Satan put the undeniable proof that God doesn't exist there to test our faith!!!"
  • Doltologist
    Doltologist

Sir82

Here's what I actually wrote:

... near as damn it, 100% of Europeans believed in god because there simply wasn't a reasonable alternative.

• sir82
    sir82
    I would still dispute that the number was "near" 100%.
  • Heaven
    Heaven
    Knowing that, in ancient times, man used the gods as an explanation for everything they did not have clear knowledge about, that divinity was applied to everything in the natural world beyond the ancients' understanding, helps us in present day to reach the conclusion that god(s) is (are) really just a figment of the human imagination.
  • Doltologist
    Doltologist

Sir82

Even as late as 2013, 75% of Europeans still considered themselves christian according to the Pew Research Centre. In 1897, the percentage would have been much higher since there were no reasonable alternatives to the creation of the universe by god and christards still held sway over people's lives (more's the pity).

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

What are you gonna do when the existence of god is disproved?

................ASK TO SEE THE..

............Image result for proof logo

Image result for Evidence

• sir82
    sir82

since there were no reasonable alternatives to the creation of the universe by god

This is what I don't understand.

30 seconds on Google tells me that Isaac Newton proposed a "static universe" (no beginning, hence no creator) in the 17th century. This was the common scientific view until disproved in the early 20th century. That seems a pretty "reasonable alternative", given the understanding at the time.

I would love to see a source which indicates that "nearly 100% of Europeans believed in God in the 19th century". I'm always happy to be proven wrong.

• Doltologist
    Doltologist

Sir82

30 seconds on Google tells me that Isaac Newton proposed a "static universe" (no beginning, hence no creator) in the 17th century. This was the common scientific view until disproved in the early 20th century. That seems a pretty "reasonable alternative", given the understanding at the time.

I would love to see a source which indicates that "nearly 100% of Europeans believed in God in the 19th century". I'm always happy to be proven wrong.

And 15 seconds on Google told me that Sir Isaac Newton was a deeply religious man and wrote far more about religious matters that matters scientific.

The fact that he proposed a 'static' universe does NOT preclude a creator. A universe can have a creator regardless of whether it is static or not.

I presume that you are now happy since you have now been proven wrong.

Oh, here's some stats from 1900:

http://www.gla.ac.uk/0t4/humanities/files/mindmapping/Religion1_files/docs/religionstatistics.pdf

It shows that the % of Europeans that were christards was 97.51% unless I have me maths wrong (probably).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit