What are you gonna do when the existence of god is disproved?

by Doltologist 86 Replies latest jw experiences

• cofty
    cofty

It is already beyond all reasonable doubt that the god of christian theism does not exist.

Christians just put their fingers in their ears and keep on singing praises.

• Half banana
    Half banana

Dolto, I was speaking personally, for me...god is an irrelevance and that being so makes for greater peace of my mind. I absolutely agree god should be irrelevant for all just as it is in scientific research. However science does not claim to supply existential comfort, which belief in a god does.

As for 1897 and alternatives to divine origins for the universe--- perhaps you have overlooked that Darwin's evolutionary bombshell exploded back in 1859? The thinkers of the day especially TH Huxley and the like, recognised evolution denied the need for a divine creator and the idea has continued filtering down ever since.

• Doltologist
    Doltologist

Cofty

It is already beyond all reasonable doubt that the god of christian theism does not exist.

You know that, I know that and so does anyone with a brain that's not infected with religious beliefs. The problem is, when the brain becomes infected with christardry and the like, it becomes an illogical entity, starts to misfire and begins to create spurious and random output that make no sense to anyone.

• Doltologist
    Doltologist

Half Banana

You are right of course, science doesn't provide a comfie blankie. However, that's not its intention. Maybe, instead of wasting our time praying to some make-believe deity, our time would be better spent 'living' and making the best of the life we are guaranteed of as opposed to thinking about the non-existent next one.

As for Darwin's 1859 evolution bombshell, he was concerned about being shunned by his fellow scientists because of the stronghold that christards had over science and life in general. Even now, christards want creationism taught in schools alongside evolution theory. It beggars belief, ffs, it's 2015 not the middle-bleedin'-ages.

• Doltologist
    Doltologist

@Morpheus

@dolt, there are people who still question that earth is a sphere. If such basic and easily proven facts are discounted something as ephemeral as god will always be believed in.

Unfortunately for Man, methinks that you are correct.

• prologos
    prologos

Doltologist:--The fact that he proposed a 'static' universe does NOT preclude a creator. A universe can have a creator regardless of whether it is static or not.

Not only Newton, Kepler, and later at least one great physicist worked for a while with the idea of a static universe but referred to the creator as "the Lord", and "Der Alte"

Half banana:--evolution denied the need for a divine creator.

Only bible critics (direct creation of species) imagine that the proven Evolutionary process eliminates the need for a creator. Evolution is one of the masterstrokes of the creative enterprise. including creative sex.

• gda
    gda
    what r u going to do when God shows you he's God?
  • Doltologist
    Doltologist

GDA

what r u going to do when God shows you he's God?

Do the logical thing and believe.

However, the chances of that happening ain't looking good.

• Hold Me-Thrill Me
    Hold Me-Thrill Me

Doltologist: As Dawkins predicts, deity-based religions will disappear and be dispatched to the waste paper bin of history within a generation.

You are being sold a load of goods that will never take place. Richard Dawkins makes his money by selling something he knows will not happen even in a hundred generations. He is laughing his way to the bank unless of course he truly believes what he is saying and in that case he is just as deluded and naive as he claims the religious are.

Religion has been woven into the sociological DNA of mankind so deeply and intricately that to remove it as quickly as you have apparently been led to believe would be to cast the earth in such turmoil as never seen in the history of mankind.

What will the world governments do with billions of dirt poor people who today have little to no hope of getting out of their miserable state of poverty but would then also lose any hope of a better life after death? Imagine the poor in India, Imagine the poor in South America. The poor in Africa. No religion, no hope, no control, nothing but the present which for many is a life hard to live.

Dawkins is not stupid. He knows the governments of the world cannot for long allow anarchy and hopelessness take root in billions of people. Governments need religion. It has always been that way and will always be that way.

Call it what you will...pacification or respect for traditions. Either way the governments of the world must either give the majority of their people a good life now (which they cannot) or allow them to hope for a good life later. They cannot give them a rotten life now and no life later. It won't work. Religion fills a need that government cannot provide. Religion gives hope. Government uses that hope, government needs that hope.

Take away religion in the world and when the governments fail to provide for the people they will turn to someone who will offer them hope. A new religion will form and promise hope and people will flock to it. This is the way we are. You believe evolution made us? Fine, then accept the fact that evolution put within most people the need to worship a higher power. The need for hope in a better life to come. If you believe in evolution then evolution is the cause of this hope.

Dawkins false hope will not take hold in the billions around the world who believe in God or multiple gods. He is leading a happy line of people who, living mostly in the comfortable west, cannot understand the deep-seated satisfaction that religion and religious practices/traditions bring to billions around the world. They will not let it go.

You are being misled.

Frank

• Doltologist
    Doltologist

HMTM

This is a proper post and is deserving of a proper response. I don't have the time now but there will be one waiting for you when you sign on in the morning.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit