What are you gonna do when the existence of god is disproved?

by Doltologist 86 Replies latest jw experiences

• adjusted knowledge
    adjusted knowledge

What are you going to do when the existence of god is disproved?

If such a thing was possible, I would be sadden but my life would continue as before. I've accepted life with out a God for all my adult life. I've never rejected the possibility, and have hoped for a loving creator.

Now to address what others have in this thread, the possibility of such a day coming in our life time. I've completed multiple college level science courses as they were needed for pre-requisite for nursing school. I'm now taking more advance science courses (Organic/Inorganic Chemistry, Cell biology ect...) for my future goal of pursuing a more advance medical degree. The increased knowledge I have received has not swayed me away from the belief of a possibility of a God. First, one must define what God is. Perhaps God could be simply viewed as a very advance alien life form.

I think the advance of science will only confirm the complexity argument by Creationist and other theists. I believe Dawkins wrote a reasonable argument to counter the complexity argument. I've watched several of his debates, and in one of them he stated "of course it makes sense that complex life comes from simple beginnings." Perhaps not an exact quote, but what I recall.

Creationists may argue that there really isn't such a thing as a simple beginning. The basic unit of life of all life is the "simple" cell. This basic unit of life is extraordinarily complex and entire college courses are devoted to its study. Even Prokaryotic cells are very complex, and there are bacteria that are able to communicate with each other, and this communication is considered more sophisticated than any communication systems man has made (Miller, 2001). Even the atoms that all matter is made up of is very complex. The sub atomic particles are perhaps more complex than the atom itself. Sub atomic particles behaving as a wave and particle and inhabiting different points in space simultaneously. None of this proves an existence of God, nor is it attempt on my part to support a belief in a God. I only making the argument that the possibility of more science may only confirm in many minds that life is too complex to happen without a designer.

Miller, M.B. & Bassler, B.L. (2001). Quorum Sensing in Bacteria. Annual Review of Microbiology 55: 165-199.

• StarTrekAngel
    StarTrekAngel

Let me put this thought out there. What if that day comes. We learned everything about the origin of the universe, enough to proof that the scientists were right on their theories. But what if, at the same time, included in such knowledge, we get information that makes us realize that what we just acquired is only, at the most conservative level, 0.00000001% of everything else besides that there is to know? Would God be dead then? Will religion be forgotten then?

To think that answering the question of the origin of the universe is the end of our quest for knowledge, puts us pretty much in the same boat as the believers. Now I am not saying here that you are implying that we are 10 years away from answering every question humans have. If I understand correctly, you are saying that we would be at a point where it will be pretty hard to believe in a creator. But then, who lit the match at the big bang?

There is always going to be another question that, while the answer isn't around, God will come as a placeholder.

Or may be we are just one of many cycles of existence that have occurred and will continue to. Have you ever read "The last question" and "The last answer"?

• Doltologist
    Doltologist

Vidiot

Play Xbox?

I was going to suggest playing Fantasy Religion but man has been playing that for the past 2,000 years and look where it got him!

• StarTrekAngel
    StarTrekAngel
    LOL... that's screwed up. May be they were role playing all along and someone found the book and took it seriously.
  • Doltologist
    Doltologist

Adjusted Knowledge

I've completed multiple college level science courses as they were needed for pre-requisite for nursing school. I'm now taking more advance science courses (Organic/Inorganic Chemistry, Cell biology ect...) for my future goal of pursuing a more advance medical degree. The increased knowledge I have received has not swayed me away from the belief of a possibility of a God.

I have two university degrees - both in a science. I have seen a lot of science but nothing which is even remotely suggestive of a higher intelligence. Now that science is free of religious interference, it is coming along in leaps and bounds. If it exists and it is knowable, science will eventually understand it. To be a part of discovering how the universe came into being must be a dream come true. There will be scientific challenges beyond that. It will not be the end.

• cofty
    cofty
    They crossed over, picked up something good from the opposite shore, and returned to share it with others.

So why have all the holy men and women never shared anything interesting or useful?

• Doltologist
    Doltologist

Cofty

So why have all the holy men and women never shared anything interesting or useful?

Because riligin is about big business and controlling the populace.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit