I am going to pioneer after the holidays!

by snakeface 28 Replies latest jw friends

• snakeface
    snakeface

Yes, you heard right.

As you know, most Christian organizations publish and distribute little tracts with their gospel message. Well they also make some that expose the lies of the WT, and explain how it is a cult. Even if people are not interested in the "gospel message" in these tracts, the tracts do a good job exposing the WT as a cult.

Now, those of you who are now agnostic or athiests or just non-religious, please keep reading, to understand what I plan to do...

I am expecting to receive $$ for Christmas. To celebrate that my car's odometer turned 144,000 miles, I will use a good portion of the Christmas $$ to purchase 100's of these tracts and then I will put on a dress shirt, tie and dress slacks and personally go door-to-door in my former territory and "work" the very same houses as I previously did. To keep my time going I will also leave some tracts at laundromats, doctors' waiting rooms, gas pumps, phone booths.....I will be "zealous".

I wiill explain to the householders that my conscience has moved me to warn them, so they don't get sucked in like I did. I will give the householders my real name.

As my former congregation works their territory, eventually they will encounter some householders who will tell them about - and possibly show them - what I left with them. Can you imagine being a JW and going out in service, and EVERY house has already been contacted with one of these tracts?

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

... personally go door-to-door in my former territory and "work" the very same houses as I previously did.

My first impression, as a householder, would be:

"Hmmm...he came to me as a JW fully convinced he had the truth; now he's here as an ex-JW fully convinced he's found the truth. Why should I listen?"

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

Can you imagine being a JW and going out in service, and EVERY house has already been contacted with one of these tracts?

Or the majority of them will treat you with the same level of indifference that they treat actual JWs when you show up uninvited to their homes.

• sir82
    sir82

Well over 99% of normal people don't spend more than 10 seconds in their lifetime thinking about JWs, excluding the moments when JWs bug them by knocking on their door.

People in your old territory are not pro-JW or anti-JW. They are utterly apathetic (as they should be) about JWs.

But if it makes you feel better, gves you some sense of closure, it probably won't hurt anything.

• snakeface
    snakeface

We know that some householders are now reading the WT literature, maybe even studying.

Also, this will show householders that there is at least one JW who woke up and left. I'm sure they will be glad for my sake. I know my coworkers are.

• snakeface
    snakeface

Thanks for your answers, They do make sense to me. The indifference and apathy...I understand.

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

Hi snakeface, I applaud your enthusiasm. Since most JWs like to do a knock, drop off literature, and run, your time might be better spent enjoying your new car.

If you feel that you must reverse witness, there are cheaper alternatives then buying religious tracts like printing business cards and labels with website names and QR codes such as www.jwfacts.com, www.watchtowerdocuments.com, www.freedomofmind.com, and www.familiesagainstcultteachings.com. Just place the labels on WTBTS propaganda.

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

Robert

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

Also, this will show householders that there is at least one JW who woke up and left.

How many thousands or tens of thousands of JWs leave each year... and non-JWs don't care or even notice?? WT is inconsequesntial to the lives of 8 billion people on this planet.

Take a vacation with your cash.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

I for one support your idea, snakeface. I have been thinking of doing the same once I am out of the organization (I can't give an anti-witness where people know me, for family reasons). It's worth it if it helps the occasional person who might have gotten drawn in. That being said, very few people are being drawn in these days, so it's hard to say how many people you might have to talk to before you reach one who was studying with, or vulnerable to, the Witnesses.

Then again, an educated friend or family member can also save someone who is interested in the JW religion, so when you factor in social connections, it raises the odds that someone will be helped. We've all experienced as JWs that situation where someone at the door showed interest and then abruptly changed their mind before we visited them again, and we knew it was because someone 'got to them' -- a family member or friend, spurred on by Satan no doubt Well, how did that person know to warn their relative/friend? We can be the ones to provide a warning that is passed on to that person.

As far as apathy goes, I think that the story of an ex-JW will be much more interesting to them than any JWs that ever came to their door. Personally, I have tried anonymously blanketing a street with TTATT leaflets through the mail, but it's hard to know how much good they will do. It's better to speak to people in person so they can hear your story. But as far as the leaflets go, I would suggest using a non-religious one unless the community is religious and close enough to that denomination. Otherwise it might make the householder feel like they're stuck between two people bickering. I like the secular approach used by the one on JWfacts: http://jwfacts.com/watchtower/pamphlet.php

• Joe Grundy
    Joe Grundy

(I never was a dub).

Dear snakeface.

I understand that you're in the US where (sadly) in some parts they take religion seriously. Here in the UK it is generally a matter of indifference (even with most church-goers) and borderline wacko groups like JWs, Mormons and rabid born-agains are avoided as far as possible.

For example, in my residential street the only reaction to dubs out in FS is that neighbours warn each other when they're on the horizon.

I concur with the above posts. Whilst I understand the damage that WTBTS causes, for those outside the organisation it is/they are inconsequential, irrelevant and no-one gives them a first, let alone a second, thought. They are a non-entity.

So, as others have said, you could spend your money better. Buy some books by Dawkins or Ehrman, go on a trip, or invest in your pleasure by buying some single malts.

There is a sayng: 'There's no point in discussing religion with the religious'. It's true. And there's no point in discussing it with anyone else because they don't give a toss - they regard it as the useless irrelevance which it ultimately is.

Good luck.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit