The best way to debate JW's without being labeled an apostate

by cookiemaster 23 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cookiemaster
    cookiemaster

Hey guys! Here's what I found to be the best way (for me at least) to debate JW's without earning the laber of apostate. This is mostly valid when debating JW's that don't know you personally, but it could help with those that do too. I know that's your first instinct and it's something many of you like to do, but you must NOT start to point out flaws in WT doctrine, or even criticize the organization in any possible way. Don't mentione anything about failed prophecies, stupid past and current doctrines, Rutherford, the hypocrisy, the inconsistencies and contradictions, the GB, the money grab, the pedophilia, anything JW related. Instead show them how silly is the belief in God, how the bible is full or irational stories, God's constant violence and genocide, how science disproves religious claims, etc. I've done it and funny enough, none of the JW's I was debating (who did not know me at all, as a JW or otherwise), called me an apostate. Furthermore, I've even tried it with my family (who are JW's) and even though it was met with moderate outrage, it wasn't dismissed completely and none of them called me an apostate or accused me of spreading apostate ideas. I told them I have no direct problem with JW's or the WT but with religion in general and the belief in God. JW's are trained to automatically call apostate any criticism to the cult and the leadership, but criticism to theism in general, not really. Sure, they'd label you an atheist but not an apostate. Even my family members say among themselves that I'm struggling with atheistic thoughts (lol) but have never labelled me apostate. That's their scare word and the designation we need to avoid in order to debate them more effectively (in my experience at least). It's much easier to plant seeds of doubt about Jokehova, and theism in general, in their minds then to do so about the borg, the holy Governing Body or their holy teachings. This is attacking the root problem, not just one of its branches called JW's. I hope this helps. Let me know what you think.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

Start every sentence with either ...

C.T. Russell said, or,

Judge Rutherford said.

Rub a Dub

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

Nah, the best way to get em is start a debate on the trinity.

*sarcasm*

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

I have finally given up debating with a JW. I just tell them, point blank, that they are in a cult.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

Start every sentence with either ...

C.T. Russell said,

Then you'll get labeled a Russellite Though that may not be a bad angle for JWs who don't know you (if you don't mind fibbing): "I'm a Bible Student and here are the problems I have with your beliefs."

• marmot
    marmot

Debating is pointless because they just curl up into a defensive ball impervious to logic. Best to go for the jugular right off the bat and leave them shell-shocked and running for the hills.

First ask them to explain the calculation required to reach 1914, then ask them to read Matthew 24:34 and ask them to define a generation. Grab a cold beverage and watch them stammer their way into saying they'll get back to you.

• blondie
    blondie

ATHEIST = APOSTATE per any jw

Also you will find yourself teaching them what the WTS teaches....they don't know it.

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

The sad reality is (and I've experienced this personally more than once) that if you mention Jesus too much or talk about the Bible without the context of WT, a JW will directly or indirectly call you an apostate.

here's why:

w86 4/1 pp. 30-31 Questions From Readers, Questions From Readers

"Why have Jehovah’s Witnesses disfellowshipped (excommunicated) for apostasy some who still profess belief in God, the Bible, and Jesus Christ? ... Approved association with Jehovah’s Witnesses requires accepting the entire range of the true teachings of the Bible, including those Scriptural beliefs that are unique to Jehovah’s Witnesses. What do such beliefs include?"

What do such beliefs include? = things that are not in the Bible.

BTW- JWs don't debate. They talk, you listen. If you have something to tell them the discussion usually ends immediately as they mutter under their breath that you are a 'goat'.

• NAVYTOWN
    NAVYTOWN

Ask a JW this: 'Name just one belief of the Witnesses that you personally disagree with'. Then ask: 'Have you personally researched every JW teaching to prove to yourself that it is true based on the Bible, not just on JW literature?'

• redvip2000
    redvip2000

This could well work with some JWs, but my experience is that it never works at all. Saying that you don't even believe in God immediately shuts the door on any type of reasoning with JWs. You are almost worse than not believing in the organization.

In my experience the best approach is when you make the point that you love Jehoober, and want to do what's right, but recognize that the organization is not really doing Jehoober's will, and so you don't want to be a part of it. This concept is intriguing to JWs and it usually disarms them, it makes them think about the separation between God and the human organization, and how a human organization can be flawed.

In any case, once i stopped believing in God this didn't make sense any longer, but I do shamefully admit that to my family i still pretend to believe in Jehoober just so that I have a chance to reason with them.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit