"The Friends"

by FeelingFree 33 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• leaving_quietly
    leaving_quietly

A term I've heard all my life. Didn't realize it wasn't common elsewhere. Apparently used in Norway, too, according to this quote:

“I said many prayers to Jehovah,” says Elsebeth, “and I kept in touch with the friends we had met by exchanging pictures and experiences.” - w13 1/15 p. 4.

• Separation of Powers
    Separation of Powers

Mine as well, mainly by the older generations...the newbies just say the brothers

• Sail Away
    Sail Away

Used interchangeably with “Brothers and Sisters” here in the Northeast, USA. There does seem to be an interesting connection to The Religious Society of Friends or Quakers.

SailAway, Not an "Oldie"

• FeelingFree
    FeelingFree

I did read a book about Quakers ages ago and you have reminded me of the fact they call themselves friends.

Thanks for the link Blondie.

Just discussing it with my husband and we both agreed that if we had heard that term used over here whilst still in it would have really rang some alarm bells and creeped us out!

Lol yes def never "true friends"!

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

Used all the time here, and it's very irritating because 99.9% of the ones that I'm aquainted with are nothing resembling friends.

• marmot
    marmot

My old-timer Uncle in Brooklyn refers to them as "the friends" and yeah, it sounds creepy/culty as can be.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

"Friends" has been used as far back as I can remember in the Northeast USA.. In many situations, it has been used interchangably with "Brothers and Sisters" as mentioned above.

Rub a Dub

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

Yeah not used a lot here and I live out side the Americas and Europe. Mainly brother and sister. I had noticed it was a term commonly used by American witnesses.

• Magnum
    Magnum

Heard it constantly my entire 40-something years in JWdom. It always sounded unnatural and cultish.

Heard it during meetings and in casual talk.

Heard in used in 2nd person (addressing audience): "Friends, please get to your seats; the meeting is about to start."

Heard it used in 3rd person (talking about other JWs): "The friends were so helpful when we had a death in the family."

Some brothers used the term many times in one part: "Friends, please turn to chapter 12, verse 13." "You friends did a fine job on your parts tonight." "Friends, you are to be commended for your support of the CO's visit."

I admit that there were some things that didn't feel right to me as a JW that I went along with and did anyway, but using the word "friend" as described above is one thing I never did - not a single time.

• Giordano
    Giordano

I believe Russell used it as a way of referencing those people who read his materials and attended his talks.... eventually they evolved into the international bible students. It is still in use today among the JW's. The 'friends' in the USA means the Brothers and Sisters.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit