so, what ARE society 'approved' jobs anyway?

by sowhatnow 33 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Divergent
    Divergent

Well, in the first place, many JW employees have little skills & are low-paid. If you pay peanuts, you get monkeys

• Da.Furious
    Da.Furious

I would say all shift work is disapproved! I know of an elder who had to give up his position due to shift work.

Everything mentioned in addition to these pyramid schemes (Herbalife, Avon, etc...)

• blondie
    blondie

That might be true but in this area there are 5 elders that are firefighters, 24 hour shifts.

Firefighters work 24 hour shifts, from 0700-0700. During the course of a month they are expected to work about ten shifts. Firefighters work a nine day work cycle, with a shift every other day for three working days, followed by four days off.

• Divergent
    Divergent

Just wondering how they can cope with their job & being elders at the same time...

• blondie
    blondie

The BOE lets them miss meetings or go to meetings on different days in KHs with 2 or 3 congregations meeting or congregations on the road.

I knew elders that were truck drivers, on the road salesmen, carpet layers, airline pilots, who all just attended meetings elsewere or missed one or two. They scheduled their talks and parts around that or the duties were assigned to elders who did not travel.

My own stepfather was on shift work for years and even drove as far as 70 miles one way to make the Sunday meeting.

• BetterGuyNow
    BetterGuyNow

I find it interesting how jobs thats are acceptable or unapproved can change from region to region, while the reason for the unfavorable viewpoint doesn't. For example, it was consistently preached from our platforms that one should never intentionally schedule work during meeting times. I don't know if my P.O. father ever had a talk about it, but my mother regularly worked every Sunday.

The deal is: we had to be at the meetings because it was a "commandment" and secular work should never get in the way. If we had a regular schedule of work that included meeting days/nights, we weren't waiting on Jehovah, or allowing him to provide.

Curiously, those "facts" - meeting attendence, waiting on Jah, Jah providing - are the same everywhere. It's a small point to take issue with, but it's just still another example to me that men are in control.

• coalize
    coalize

in this area there are 5 elders that are firefighters

A JW firefighter ? This show that this kind of things depends of the area!

In France a JW can't be firefighter, even a voluntary one, because here firefighters depends of the ministery of defense... Then it's considered like to work for the army...

• gda
    gda

I heard a talk once telling us to ged rid of our animals (chickens/goats/ dogs and cats) if they take too much time away from our sacred service....hmmm

• blondie
    blondie

Here in the US firefighters work for town and city governments; some are even voluntary organizations. The issue is not that it is military, but working shift work.

• blondie
    blondie

DaFurious, all shift work is at the discretion of the BOE in your congregation, that is what I have seen for 50 years. The fire department stopped by last year and one of the men was a young jw whose father is an elder.

I have attended 20 congregations in over 5 countries for 50 years and the rules in one congregation will be different in another.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit