so, what ARE society 'approved' jobs anyway?

by sowhatnow 33 Replies latest watchtower bible

• paladin1
    paladin1

My son and his wife do part time sub-contract cleaning and he drives school bus part time and that employer has a benefit plan. They can not afford to donate their money to the WT$. I have encouraged them to take tech school training in order to make a better income.

We were told by one of our elders that we should not consider trade training because of it being a waste of time. Unbelievable! This was a comment from an elder who works as a comminications technician.

• James Brown
    James Brown

When I was a JW back in the 70's, you could not be a fire fighter because

Fire fighters have the US flag on their shirts.

You could not wear the flag.

I don't think the city would let you be a fireman without wearing the uniform and the uniform

in most cities had a flag on it.

• Da.Furious
    Da.Furious

@blondie very true. I also moved congregations and countries and the difference between each is shocking.

The most annoying bit is same country different congregation and the BOE have their own rules!

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

It is all SHITE

• Londo111
    Londo111

The environment is one that produces a snobbery toward those not doing construction or manual labor.

I remember one elder getting up on the platform and talking about the Scripture that says, “Let the stealer steal no more, but let him do hard with his hands…” Then he mimed moving a mouse and said condescendingly, “This is not working with your hands.”

• PaintedToeNail
    PaintedToeNail

A recent magazine (within the last several years) listed appropriate jobs that required little schooling. One of the jobs was 'hairdresser'. I have never lived in an area where a simple hairdresser made enough money to support themselves. It is a low paying job a best, for most people.

My hubby gets flack for being an on the road salesman. When he took the job, the elders told him Jehovah would provide, that if we lost our home, we wouldn't starve, Jehovah promises that....Yay! Just what I've always wanted, to live with other JW's in a spare bedroom with three kids. (Yes, that was a suggested option).

• Honesty
    Honesty

Cleaning and polishing floors at Walmart using a propane powered Pioneer Eclipse Buffer late at night is a much sought after profession by Jehovah's Witnesses.

• compound complex
    compound complex

One sister's story was told in AWAKE! She sold her thriving daycare business because she loved it too much. The point made was that her heart was in her work.

You cannot love both Jehovah and your job.

• Honesty
    Honesty

Blondie says:

"Actually the enterprising ones quickly find out what bad employees jws make."

Not only do JW's make bad employees, they are apt to sue their employer:

http://jwemployees.bravehost.com/NewsReports/2013.html

Probably more than any other religious group in the United States, Jehovah's Witnesses have a number of religious beliefs and practices which can lead to confrontations with their Employers, with their co-workers, with customers, and with others with whom they interact on the job. That fact does not mean that the civil rights of a Jehovah's Witness Employee are any less inviolate than the civil rights of other employees. It simply means that Employers will probably have to pay a little more attention to those employees who are Jehovah's Witnesses.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

There is no "approved list" of jobs, but I have often heard encouragement to go into construction type work (useful in the New Order, or useful to the WTS }

Shift work? maybe if it can be managed.. I have known an ambulance man (paramedic) and a railway engine driver who managed to swap shifts where they could and still get by with eldership.

Like Londo I have encountered "inverse snobbery" towards office work, "He's just a pen pusher!"

I have known some thriving lucrative businesses that started as Pioneer part time support , if the guy is a business man at heart

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit